FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Vineyard Sprays of Sulfur and copper effect on wine (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/46545-vineyard-sprays-sulfur-copper.html)

Sarge 01-12-2004 01:22 PM

Vineyard Sprays of Sulfur and copper effect on wine

I encountered an H2S problem when I made wine from chardonnay grapes that
were sprayed with sulfur. The sulfur residue could be seen on the grapes.
Of course the H2S may have been caused by some other reason and the problem
was resolved by aeration.

I wonder how a spray program of sulfur and copper could affect winemaking.
Does residual amounts of sulfur on grapes contribute to free SO2 and H2S in
wine?
What effects does residual amounts of copper have on wine?
thanks
Sarge

Tim McNally 02-12-2004 05:19 PM

What makes you think you saw on the grapes was spray?
Tim

Sarge 03-12-2004 03:17 AM

The berries had what looked like a milky white stain on them. Unless they
used milk for spray ha-ha..

om...

J F 04-12-2004 06:07 PM

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> I encountered an H2S problem when I made wine from chardonnay grapes that
> were sprayed with sulfur. The sulfur residue could be seen on the grapes.
> Of course the H2S may have been caused by some other reason and the

problem
> was resolved by aeration.
>
> I wonder how a spray program of sulfur and copper could affect winemaking.
> Does residual amounts of sulfur on grapes contribute to free SO2 and H2S

in
> wine?

It can contribute to H2S in your wine but most vineyards stop spraying
sulphur weeks before harvest for this reason.

Sarge 05-12-2004 02:33 AM

"J F" > wrote in message

> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > I encountered an H2S problem when I made wine from chardonnay grapes

that
> > were sprayed with sulfur. The sulfur residue could be seen on the

grapes.
> > Of course the H2S may have been caused by some other reason and the

> problem
> > was resolved by aeration.
> >
> > I wonder how a spray program of sulfur and copper could affect

winemaking.
> > Does residual amounts of sulfur on grapes contribute to free SO2 and H2S

> in
> > wine?

> It can contribute to H2S in your wine but most vineyards stop spraying
> sulphur weeks before harvest for this reason.

In a bad season they may have to spray closer to harvest. Also what if it
doesn't rain after the last spray, would some sulfur still be on the grapes
at harvest?

Sarge 05-12-2004 02:33 AM

Sarge 05-12-2004 02:33 AM

J F 05-12-2004 02:47 AM

"Sarge" > wrote in message

> "J F" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > > I encountered an H2S problem when I made wine from chardonnay grapes

> that
> > > were sprayed with sulfur. The sulfur residue could be seen on the

> grapes.
> > > Of course the H2S may have been caused by some other reason and the

> > problem
> > > was resolved by aeration.
> > >
> > > I wonder how a spray program of sulfur and copper could affect

> winemaking.
> > > Does residual amounts of sulfur on grapes contribute to free SO2 and

H2S
> > in
> > > wine?

> > It can contribute to H2S in your wine but most vineyards stop spraying
> > sulphur weeks before harvest for this reason.
> >

> In a bad season they may have to spray closer to harvest. Also what if it
> doesn't rain after the last spray, would some sulfur still be on the

grapes
> at harvest?

It's possible the sulphur levels could be high enough to cause troubles in
such a situtation. In such cases it's advisable to watch your nitrogen
levels and even be a bit heavy handed with nutrients.
If you get your grapes unpressed and whole cluster, gently washing them with
clean water can removed the residue. You'll need to let them drip dry before
pressing.

Ken Anderson 05-12-2004 06:15 PM

The Mancozeb I use can't be applied 63 days before harvest. Yet when I was
picking my grapes, I could still see the yellow residue on the bottom of the
grapes. It was where the original drop formed and dried. Seemed to have just
stayed stuck there. So does the 63 day rule indicate that, although the
fungicide still appears to be present, it's actually now inert and harmless?
Or does it mean our government bureaucracy may have yet bungled again? I
suspect the latter, but have also read that Mancozeb has low toxicity.
Hopefully they've got THAT right.
Ken

gwoolam 05-12-2004 08:16 PM

Mancozeb probably came in the form of a wettable powder or a flowable (a
prewetted powder) these formulations usually use a talc or a clay as a
carrier. The chemical its self is boken down in time by sunlight and heat.
What you are seeing is most likely the carrier residue.

gwoolam 05-12-2004 08:16 PM

Sarge 13-12-2004 01:40 PM

This might explain it. Does kumulus (wp sulfur) also have similar sticker
spreader?
thanks
Sarge

om...

Sarge 13-12-2004 01:40 PM

This might explain it. Does kumulus (wp sulfur) also have similar sticker
spreader?
thanks
Sarge

om...