FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   stuck ferment (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/45419-stuck-ferment.html)

Patrick 24-11-2004 03:28 AM

stuck ferment

I think I'm stuck. I have a syrah that started at 29+ brix that
stopped just above 0. I'm guessing that since it's pressed and
nutrient-deficient, my odds of getting it restarted are pretty slim.

I've had thoughts of hitting it with a jumbo starter and lots of
additives (DAP, fermaid, etc), but thought I'd get a second opinion.

pp 24-11-2004 08:54 PM

(Patrick) wrote in message . com>...
> I think I'm stuck. I have a syrah that started at 29+ brix that
> stopped just above 0. I'm guessing that since it's pressed and
> nutrient-deficient, my odds of getting it restarted are pretty slim.
>
> I've had thoughts of hitting it with a jumbo starter and lots of
> additives (DAP, fermaid, etc), but thought I'd get a second opinion.

That's not stuck, that's finished, i.e., that's about as much as the
typical red wine yeast can take it if you start with such a high sugar
level. You might try the restart method with something like EC1118,
but even that will have a hard time at this point.

What about turning this into a port style wine?

Pp

pp 24-11-2004 08:54 PM

Ray Calvert 24-11-2004 11:25 PM

Yes, you have probably maxed out your yeast. It is going to be very potent
as it is. You can enjoy it slightly sweet or you can try restarting it with
some Champaign yeast which will probably finish off the sugar and turn it
into absolute rocket fuel. It is up to you.

Ray

om...

Ray Calvert 24-11-2004 11:25 PM

Yes, you have probably maxed out your yeast. It is going to be very potent
as it is. You can enjoy it slightly sweet or you can try restarting it with
some Champaign yeast which will probably finish off the sugar and turn it
into absolute rocket fuel. It is up to you.

Ray

om...