saskee

Default Making a drier sherry from kits

I'm using a Vineco Kendall Ridge Classic kit to make a sherry. The
previous time I used the same kit I found the sherry too sweet. The
kit contains a sherry reserve bag (looks like about a litre) which is
added after degassing. I assume that this is basically a syrup. The
directions say that this give a sweetness of about 8. Would it be
wise to leave this out completely or just add half or some other
portions. Any suggestions....thanks.

Jim
Insprucegrove

I am currently making a Brew King Sherry kit, and it comes with the F-pack
which I assume is similar to your reserve bag. The Brew King product lets you
make both a sweet and dry style, with the dry foregoing the F Pack (and no
adding corn sugar either). The man at the store I bought it from advises he
regularly makes the dry style according to the instructions and enjoys drinking
it on a regular basis!
This will be my 3rd fortified Brew King product, but the first 2 were Port
wines so they did need the F pack, but the sherry I am going to try without

I found a PDF file showing the instructions for all the Brew King fortified
wines--read the sherry part and decide if you want to do that.

Heres a link to the file

http://www.homebrewit.com/Speciale0101.pdf

>m using a Vineco Kendall Ridge Classic kit to make a sherry. The
>previous time I used the same kit I found the sherry too sweet. The
>kit contains a sherry reserve bag (looks like about a litre) which is
>added after degassing. I assume that this is basically a syrup. The
>directions say that this give a sweetness of about 8. Would it be
>wise to leave this out completely or just add half or some other
>portions. Any suggestions....thanks.

Jim

I received this response from Vineco:

Hi Jim,

Yes, you can leave some out but be sure to add the Sherry Essence because
that is what gives the wine its sherry style.

Regards,

Vince Rines
Customer Service Representative,
Vineco International Products
1-877-855-9355 Ext.222
www.vineco.on.ca

Thanks to all who responded. I'll experiment with the amounts and see
what happens.

Insprucegrove wrote:
> I am currently making a Brew King Sherry kit, and it comes with the F-pack
> which I assume is similar to your reserve bag. The Brew King product lets you
> make both a sweet and dry style, with the dry foregoing the F Pack (and no
> adding corn sugar either). The man at the store I bought it from advises he
> regularly makes the dry style according to the instructions and enjoys drinking
> it on a regular basis!
> This will be my 3rd fortified Brew King product, but the first 2 were Port
> wines so they did need the F pack, but the sherry I am going to try without
>
> I found a PDF file showing the instructions for all the Brew King fortified
> wines--read the sherry part and decide if you want to do that.
>
> Heres a link to the file
>
> http://www.homebrewit.com/Speciale0101.pdf
>

>>m using a Vineco Kendall Ridge Classic kit to make a sherry. The
>>previous time I used the same kit I found the sherry too sweet. The
>>kit contains a sherry reserve bag (looks like about a litre) which is
>>added after degassing. I assume that this is basically a syrup. The
>>directions say that this give a sweetness of about 8. Would it be
>>wise to leave this out completely or just add half or some other
>>portions. Any suggestions....thanks.

Jim

Insprucegrove wrote:
> I am currently making a Brew King Sherry kit, and it comes with the F-pack
> which I assume is similar to your reserve bag. The Brew King product lets you
> make both a sweet and dry style, with the dry foregoing the F Pack (and no
> adding corn sugar either). The man at the store I bought it from advises he
> regularly makes the dry style according to the instructions and enjoys drinking
> it on a regular basis!
> This will be my 3rd fortified Brew King product, but the first 2 were Port
> wines so they did need the F pack, but the sherry I am going to try without
>
> I found a PDF file showing the instructions for all the Brew King fortified
> wines--read the sherry part and decide if you want to do that.
>
> Heres a link to the file
>
> http://www.homebrewit.com/Speciale0101.pdf
>

>>m using a Vineco Kendall Ridge Classic kit to make a sherry. The
>>previous time I used the same kit I found the sherry too sweet. The
>>kit contains a sherry reserve bag (looks like about a litre) which is
>>added after degassing. I assume that this is basically a syrup. The
>>directions say that this give a sweetness of about 8. Would it be
>>wise to leave this out completely or just add half or some other
>>portions. Any suggestions....thanks.

Ray Calvert

If you ever visit a winery you will be amazed. Fruit flies everywhere and
EVERYTHING goes into the hopper. Wasp nests, bird nests, etc.

Just be clean. Store things dry. Avoid mold.

Winemaking is a very forgiving hobby. Wine itself is an excellent sanitizer
and there are no known pathogens that will live in wine.

The biggest cause of wine going bad is not lack of cleanliness nor fruit, it
is oxidation. After the fermentation slows down, after a week or so, you
must protect it from contact with air. That is what ruins wine.

Don't obsess over anything in wine making, just enjoy.

Ray

"saskee" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm using a Vineco Kendall Ridge Classic kit to make a sherry. The
> previous time I used the same kit I found the sherry too sweet. The
> kit contains a sherry reserve bag (looks like about a litre) which is
> added after degassing. I assume that this is basically a syrup. The
> directions say that this give a sweetness of about 8. Would it be
> wise to leave this out completely or just add half or some other
> portions. Any suggestions....thanks.
>
> Jim

Ray Calvert

Ray Calvert

Insprucegrove

> received this response from Vineco:
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>Yes, you can leave some out but be sure to add the Sherry Essence because
>that is what gives the wine its sherry style.

Just out of interst, are there then 3 main ingredients--the concentate, a
reverve bag and "an essence" pack?

Insprucegrove

> received this response from Vineco:
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>Yes, you can leave some out but be sure to add the Sherry Essence because
>that is what gives the wine its sherry style.

Just out of interst, are there then 3 main ingredients--the concentate, a
reverve bag and "an essence" pack?

Insprucegrove

> received this response from Vineco:
>
>Hi Jim,
>
>Yes, you can leave some out but be sure to add the Sherry Essence because
>that is what gives the wine its sherry style.

Just out of interst, are there then 3 main ingredients--the concentate, a
reverve bag and "an essence" pack?

Jim

That is correct -- the "essence" is a small (about 50 ml) bottle.

Jim