KD

Default Can someone describe Mead?

Greetings all:

I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just working
with kits from the store.

This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple wine/hard
cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.

I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started it
about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an apple
one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.

So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?

Thanks,

KD

STEPHEN PEEK

Mead can be as variable in flavor as the range of wines. Most commercial
meads are quite sweet, but that does not have to be the case for the home
meadmaker. A dry mead can be quite floral in aroma. Try the kit, just match
your yeast (attenuation) to your taste.
Steve
"KD" > wrote in message
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
> working with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
> wine/hard cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
> it about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
> apple one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KD

STEPHEN PEEK

"KD" > wrote in message
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
> working with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
> wine/hard cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
> it about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
> apple one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KD

STEPHEN PEEK

Check out: rec.crafts.meadmaking
"KD" > wrote in message
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
> working with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
> wine/hard cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
> it about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
> apple one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KD

STEPHEN PEEK

"KD" > wrote in message
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
> working with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
> wine/hard cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
> it about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
> apple one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KD

Bob

"KD" > wrote in message
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just

working
> with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple

wine/hard
> cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started

it
> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an

apple
> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?

Describe mead????
Ummmmm........
Indescribably delicious!
I generally use about 7kg for a 23 litre batch, pure clover honey;
ferment til ALL bubbling in the airlock ceases (can take a year), then
sulfite it with campden tablets. When the tablets are completely dissolved,
and the mead is perfectly clear and still not bubbling (another couple
months) I rack it into a clean carboy and add sorbate/sodium benzoate, and
also one clove per litre. After a few months the cloves will have swelled up
and sunk to the bottom, leaving a clear mead with a dusting of brown on the
bottom of the carboy. Bottle it at this point, sit back and enjoy how clever
you are! :-)
My last few batches of mead have taken the following time to brew and
bottle:
13 months
15 months
16 months
I am working on one right now that was brewed 3/23/04, and I am trying
to hurry it up in time for Christmas, but that is going to be hard.... Wish
me luck!
Bob<><

> Thanks,
>
> KD

R-D-C

Do you use the clove for flavour or to clear the mead?

"Bob" > wrote in message

> "KD" > wrote in message
>> Greetings all:
>>
>> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just

> working
>> with kits from the store.
>>
>> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
>> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
>> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple

> wine/hard
>> cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>>
>> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started

> it
>> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an

> apple
>> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
>> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
>> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
>> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>>
>> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?

> Describe mead????
> Ummmmm........
> Indescribably delicious!
> I generally use about 7kg for a 23 litre batch, pure clover honey;
> ferment til ALL bubbling in the airlock ceases (can take a year), then
> sulfite it with campden tablets. When the tablets are completely
> dissolved,
> and the mead is perfectly clear and still not bubbling (another couple
> months) I rack it into a clean carboy and add sorbate/sodium benzoate, and
> also one clove per litre. After a few months the cloves will have swelled
> up
> and sunk to the bottom, leaving a clear mead with a dusting of brown on
> the
> bottom of the carboy. Bottle it at this point, sit back and enjoy how
> clever
> you are! :-)
> My last few batches of mead have taken the following time to brew and
> bottle:
> 13 months
> 15 months
> 16 months
> I am working on one right now that was brewed 3/23/04, and I am trying
> to hurry it up in time for Christmas, but that is going to be hard....
> Wish
> me luck!
> Bob<><
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> KD

R-D-C

"Bob" > wrote in message

> "KD" > wrote in message
>> Greetings all:
>>
>> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just

> working
>> with kits from the store.
>>
>> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
>> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
>> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple

> wine/hard
>> cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>>
>> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started

> it
>> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an

> apple
>> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
>> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
>> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
>> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>>
>> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?

> Describe mead????
> Ummmmm........
> Indescribably delicious!
> I generally use about 7kg for a 23 litre batch, pure clover honey;
> ferment til ALL bubbling in the airlock ceases (can take a year), then
> sulfite it with campden tablets. When the tablets are completely
> dissolved,
> and the mead is perfectly clear and still not bubbling (another couple
> months) I rack it into a clean carboy and add sorbate/sodium benzoate, and
> also one clove per litre. After a few months the cloves will have swelled
> up
> and sunk to the bottom, leaving a clear mead with a dusting of brown on
> the
> bottom of the carboy. Bottle it at this point, sit back and enjoy how
> clever
> you are! :-)
> My last few batches of mead have taken the following time to brew and
> bottle:
> 13 months
> 15 months
> 16 months
> I am working on one right now that was brewed 3/23/04, and I am trying
> to hurry it up in time for Christmas, but that is going to be hard....
> Wish
> me luck!
> Bob<><
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> KD

Bruce

KD wrote:
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just working
> with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple wine/hard
> cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started it
> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an apple
> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KD

I have made several batches of mead, essentially following the recipe in
The New Complete Joy Of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian. I have made
Raspberry, kiwi, and strawberry from fresh fruit and blackberry from a
wine kit concentrate. The raspberry is by far the best and the
blackberry is still very good. The kiwi and strawberry lacked a flavour
strong enough to stand up to the ginger and alcohol content (which I
would guess to be 6 - 8% using the scientific "compared to 5% beer buzz").

The fermentation took about 5 months to completely finish and another
couple of months to clear. I primed it with 3/4 cup of corn sugar at
bottling to carbonate it. It is quite drinkable after 3 months in the
bottle but improves with further aging. It finishes incredibly dry and
nicely carbonated, not a hint of sweetness after 7 lbs of honey and the
priming sugar - very refreshing in the summer and is nicely presented in
a pilsner glass.

I will continue to make mead but only raspberry. The fruit (6 to 8
lbs), honey and other ingredients make the cost comparable to a 15L wine
kit.

Bruce

KD wrote:
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just working
> with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple wine/hard
> cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started it
> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an apple
> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KD

I have made several batches of mead, essentially following the recipe in
The New Complete Joy Of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian. I have made
Raspberry, kiwi, and strawberry from fresh fruit and blackberry from a
wine kit concentrate. The raspberry is by far the best and the
blackberry is still very good. The kiwi and strawberry lacked a flavour
strong enough to stand up to the ginger and alcohol content (which I
would guess to be 6 - 8% using the scientific "compared to 5% beer buzz").

The fermentation took about 5 months to completely finish and another
couple of months to clear. I primed it with 3/4 cup of corn sugar at
bottling to carbonate it. It is quite drinkable after 3 months in the
bottle but improves with further aging. It finishes incredibly dry and
nicely carbonated, not a hint of sweetness after 7 lbs of honey and the
priming sugar - very refreshing in the summer and is nicely presented in
a pilsner glass.

I will continue to make mead but only raspberry. The fruit (6 to 8
lbs), honey and other ingredients make the cost comparable to a 15L wine
kit.

Jack Keller

KD, if you will describe the flavor "vanilla" to me I will describe
the taste of mead to you.

There are all kinds of mead and their flavors vary as much as do the
flavors of wine. True mead is just honey and water (okay, with a
little acid and yeast nutrients thrown in) fermented, so the true
taste comes from the pollen of the flowers that the bees visited to
make the honey. But most people don't make true mead. They flavor it
with fruit, spices or something else. Go to
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/glossary.asp and scroll down to
"Mead" to see what I mean.

Two differences between winemaking and meadmaking: (1) mead takes
much longer to ferment, and (2) mead mellows out much more than most
grape wines do with aging (this comparison is not true of none-grape
wines, as almost all of them improve drastically with age). Thus, if
you make mead, know going in that it will take longer to finish and
should be aged once bottled.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Dar V

Mead....
Well, I would certainly try some to make sure you like it before you make
it. My nephew by marriage really wants to learn to make some. We had some
over the summer - mead from Colorado. It wasn't to my taste, but my husband
liked it. I think there is a rec.crafts.mead site isn't there?
Darlene

"KD" > wrote in message
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
> working with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
> wine/hard cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
> it about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
> apple one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KD

Dar V

"KD" > wrote in message
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
> working with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
> wine/hard cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
> it about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
> apple one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KD

Tim McNally

When mead is young, it is rememiscent of rocket fuel. When it ages 5
years or so, it is still an acquired taste. At least straight dry
mead. The only mead I made I liked was a lemon-lime one.
Tim

> > Greetings all:
> >
> > I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
> > working with kits from the store.
> >
> > This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> > ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> > pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
> > wine/hard cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
> >
> > I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
> > it about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
> > apple one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> > hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> > want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> > here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
> >
> > So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > KD

Tim McNally

When mead is young, it is rememiscent of rocket fuel. When it ages 5
years or so, it is still an acquired taste. At least straight dry
mead. The only mead I made I liked was a lemon-lime one.
Tim

> > Greetings all:
> >
> > I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
> > working with kits from the store.
> >
> > This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> > ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> > pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
> > wine/hard cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
> >
> > I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
> > it about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
> > apple one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> > hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> > want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> > here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
> >
> > So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > KD

Tim McNally

KD > wrote:
> Greetings all:

> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started it
> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an apple
> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.

Where abouts are you? Mead isn't something carried in every liquor
store, but it may just be that you're hitting up the wrong one.

KD

I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. Our liquor stores are controlled by the
government, most have the same stuff from store to store.

Hey, are any of you meadmakers in Nova Scotia?

KD

> wrote in message
> KD > wrote:
>> Greetings all:

>> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
>> it
>> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
>> apple
>> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
>> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
>> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
>> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.

> Where abouts are you? Mead isn't something carried in every liquor
> store, but it may just be that you're hitting up the wrong one.

KD

I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. Our liquor stores are controlled by the
government, most have the same stuff from store to store.

Hey, are any of you meadmakers in Nova Scotia?

KD

> wrote in message
> KD > wrote:
>> Greetings all:

>> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
>> it
>> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
>> apple
>> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
>> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
>> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
>> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.

> Where abouts are you? Mead isn't something carried in every liquor
> store, but it may just be that you're hitting up the wrong one.

Bruce

KD wrote:
> I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. Our liquor stores are controlled by the
> government, most have the same stuff from store to store.
>
> Hey, are any of you meadmakers in Nova Scotia?
>
> KD
>

> > wrote in message
>
>>KD > wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings all:

>>>I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
>>>it
>>>about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
>>>apple
>>>one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
>>>hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
>>>want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
>>>here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.

>>Where abouts are you? Mead isn't something carried in every liquor
>>store, but it may just be that you're hitting up the wrong one.

I live in New Brunswick - visit my daughter in Halifax quite frequently.
Bruce

KD wrote:
> I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. Our liquor stores are controlled by the
> government, most have the same stuff from store to store.
>
> Hey, are any of you meadmakers in Nova Scotia?
>
> KD
>

> > wrote in message
>
>>KD > wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings all:

>>>I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
>>>it
>>>about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
>>>apple
>>>one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
>>>hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
>>>want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
>>>here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.

>>Where abouts are you? Mead isn't something carried in every liquor
>>store, but it may just be that you're hitting up the wrong one.

I live in New Brunswick - visit my daughter in Halifax quite frequently.
KD

Really....hmmmm....will you be visiting her again soon?

KD

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> KD wrote:
>> I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. Our liquor stores are controlled by the
>> government, most have the same stuff from store to store.
>>
>> Hey, are any of you meadmakers in Nova Scotia?
>>
>> KD
>>

>> > wrote in message

>>>Where abouts are you? Mead isn't something carried in every liquor
>>>store, but it may just be that you're hitting up the wrong one.
>>>

> I live in New Brunswick - visit my daughter in Halifax quite frequently.

Bruce

KD wrote:
> Really....hmmmm....will you be visiting her again soon?
>
> KD
>
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>
>>KD wrote:
>>
>>>I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. Our liquor stores are controlled by the
>>>government, most have the same stuff from store to store.
>>>
>>>Hey, are any of you meadmakers in Nova Scotia?
>>>
>>>KD

>>I live in New Brunswick - visit my daughter in Halifax quite frequently.

This weekend in fact.
Bruce

KD wrote:
> Really....hmmmm....will you be visiting her again soon?
>
> KD
>
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>
>>KD wrote:
>>
>>>I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada. Our liquor stores are controlled by the
>>>government, most have the same stuff from store to store.
>>>
>>>Hey, are any of you meadmakers in Nova Scotia?
>>>
>>>KD

>>I live in New Brunswick - visit my daughter in Halifax quite frequently.

This weekend in fact.

Saul_Sabia

"KD" > wrote in message >...
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just working
> with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple wine/hard
> cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started it
> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an apple
> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?

have you ever added a little bit of lemon and honey to a cup of hot water,
for coughs and things like that?

yeah, like that but not really. take out the lemon, add a bit of alcoholic
tang, and make it a little less sweet.

you're welcome. ;-)

i make melomels, and they end up tasting an awful lot like the basic fruit
but tend to have a sweeter nose and tongue-tip-taste.

Saul
Ray Calvert

A friend of mine commented that wine makes him more outgoing where mead
makes him more mellow. I don't know if others would agree but I think I do.

Other than that, there are at least as many meads as there are wine as you
can make any wine using honey as the sugar source and then it is a type of
mead. You could even say there are more as there are many types of honey
and each will give a different flavor.

Be adventurous and make some and try it. I make a lot of wines that I have
never tasted. I could never fined commercial wines for lychee, orange, wild
mustang, dewberry or a few others I have made in the last 18 months. It is
a hobby. Try something new.

I will say that many people try to make mead and then decide they do not
like it. Mead takes a long time to age. 18 months is minimum and 2 years
is much better. People make a one gallon batch and have it all sampled up
before it ever matures. Make a batch and put it back for 18 months before
you ever try it. If you are interested visit www.GotMead.com and the
rec.craft.meadmaking sites.

Ray

"KD" > wrote in message
> Greetings all:
>
> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
> working with kits from the store.
>
> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
> wine/hard cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>
> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
> it about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
> apple one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>
> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KD

Brian Lundeen

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
. com...
> A friend of mine commented that wine makes him more outgoing where mead
> makes him more mellow. I don't know if others would agree but I think I

do.

Mead drinkers are all hippies, so it was probably the pot that went along
with it that did it. ;-)

Brian

Brian Lundeen

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
. com...
> A friend of mine commented that wine makes him more outgoing where mead
> makes him more mellow. I don't know if others would agree but I think I

do.

Mead drinkers are all hippies, so it was probably the pot that went along
with it that did it. ;-)

Brian

Ray Calvert

That is the style you are making. Use a larger portion of honey and a
smaller portion of fruit and it will come out tasting more like mead with a
hint of the fruit. A matter of taste.

Ray

"Saul_Sabia" > wrote in message
om...
> "KD" > wrote in message
>> Greetings all:
>>
>> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
>> working
>> with kits from the store.
>>
>> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
>> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
>> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
>> wine/hard
>> cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>>
>> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
>> it
>> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
>> apple
>> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
>> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
>> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
>> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>>
>> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?

> have you ever added a little bit of lemon and honey to a cup of hot water,
> for coughs and things like that?
>
> yeah, like that but not really. take out the lemon, add a bit of alcoholic
> tang, and make it a little less sweet.
>
> you're welcome. ;-)
>
> i make melomels, and they end up tasting an awful lot like the basic fruit
> but tend to have a sweeter nose and tongue-tip-taste.
>

> Saul

Ray Calvert

That is the style you are making. Use a larger portion of honey and a
smaller portion of fruit and it will come out tasting more like mead with a
hint of the fruit. A matter of taste.

Ray

"Saul_Sabia" > wrote in message
om...
> "KD" > wrote in message
>> Greetings all:
>>
>> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just
>> working
>> with kits from the store.
>>
>> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
>> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
>> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple
>> wine/hard
>> cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
>>
>> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just started
>> it
>> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an
>> apple
>> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
>> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I didn't
>> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor stores
>> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
>>
>> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?

> have you ever added a little bit of lemon and honey to a cup of hot water,
> for coughs and things like that?
>
> yeah, like that but not really. take out the lemon, add a bit of alcoholic
> tang, and make it a little less sweet.
>
> you're welcome. ;-)
>
> i make melomels, and they end up tasting an awful lot like the basic fruit
> but tend to have a sweeter nose and tongue-tip-taste.
>

> Saul

Bob

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> Do you use the clove for flavour or to clear the mead?

Strangely, it seems to do =both=. I could =swear= it seems to bind with
fine particulate matter and precipitate it out as a brown dust. This is
something I've become aware of over the last few years. The flavouring is
divine; I cannot imagine drinking mead w/o cloves, it is such a perfect
match!
Bob<><

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> >
> > "KD" > wrote in message
> >> Greetings all:
> >>
> >> I've been in the winemaking hobby since early summer, until now just

> > working
> >> with kits from the store.
> >>
> >> This time of year, my wine supply shop offers two 'kits' of fresh
> >> ingredients and all the yeast, etc. that you need. They had to be
> >> pre-ordered; the options were fresh pressed apple juice for apple

> > wine/hard
> >> cider, as well as fresh Nova Scotia honey to make mead.
> >>
> >> I went the apple wine route, and it's bubbling along nicely, just

started
> > it
> >> about six days ago. I do enjoy wine, so I'm quite certain I'll like an

> > apple
> >> one. I was tempted to purchase one of their mead 'kits' as well, but
> >> hesitated - mostly because I don't know what it tastes like and I

didn't
> >> want to be stuck with 23 litres of something I didn't like. Liquor

stores
> >> here don't carry anything close to it for me to try.
> >>
> >> So, who would like to take a try at describing a basic mead?

> > Describe mead????
> > Ummmmm........
> > Indescribably delicious!
> > I generally use about 7kg for a 23 litre batch, pure clover honey;
> > ferment til ALL bubbling in the airlock ceases (can take a year), then
> > sulfite it with campden tablets. When the tablets are completely
> > dissolved,
> > and the mead is perfectly clear and still not bubbling (another couple
> > months) I rack it into a clean carboy and add sorbate/sodium benzoate,

and
> > also one clove per litre. After a few months the cloves will have

swelled
> > up
> > and sunk to the bottom, leaving a clear mead with a dusting of brown on
> > the
> > bottom of the carboy. Bottle it at this point, sit back and enjoy how
> > clever
> > you are! :-)
> > My last few batches of mead have taken the following time to brew and
> > bottle:
> > 13 months
> > 15 months
> > 16 months
> > I am working on one right now that was brewed 3/23/04, and I am

trying
> > to hurry it up in time for Christmas, but that is going to be hard....
> > Wish
> > me luck!
> > Bob<><
> >

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> KD

Bob

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> [...]

and
> > also one clove per litre. After a few months the cloves will have

swelled
> > up
> > and sunk to the bottom, leaving a clear mead with a dusting of brown on
> > the
> > bottom of the carboy. Bottle it at this point, sit back and enjoy how
> > clever
> > you are! :-)
> > My last few batches of mead have taken the following time to brew and
> > bottle:
> > 13 months
> > 15 months
> > 16 months
> > I am working on one right now that was brewed 3/23/04, and I am

trying
> > to hurry it up in time for Christmas, but that is going to be hard....

Bob

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> KD, if you will describe the flavor "vanilla" to me I will describe
> the taste of mead to you.
>
> There are all kinds of mead and their flavors vary as much as do the
> flavors of wine. True mead is just honey and water (okay, with a
> little acid and yeast nutrients thrown in) fermented, so the true
> taste comes from the pollen of the flowers that the bees visited to
> make the honey. But most people don't make true mead. They flavor it
> with fruit, spices or something else. Go to
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/glossary.asp and scroll down to
> "Mead" to see what I mean.
>
> Two differences between winemaking and meadmaking: (1) mead takes
> much longer to ferment, and (2) mead mellows out much more than most
> grape wines do with aging (this comparison is not true of none-grape
> wines, as almost all of them improve drastically with age). Thus, if
> you make mead, know going in that it will take longer to finish and
> should be aged once bottled.

I have heard that 50 year old mead is very nice....

> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Bob

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> KD, if you will describe the flavor "vanilla" to me I will describe
> the taste of mead to you.
>
> There are all kinds of mead and their flavors vary as much as do the
> flavors of wine. True mead is just honey and water (okay, with a
> little acid and yeast nutrients thrown in) fermented, so the true
> taste comes from the pollen of the flowers that the bees visited to
> make the honey. But most people don't make true mead. They flavor it
> with fruit, spices or something else. Go to
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/glossary.asp and scroll down to
> "Mead" to see what I mean.
>
> Two differences between winemaking and meadmaking: (1) mead takes
> much longer to ferment, and (2) mead mellows out much more than most
> grape wines do with aging (this comparison is not true of none-grape
> wines, as almost all of them improve drastically with age). Thus, if
> you make mead, know going in that it will take longer to finish and
> should be aged once bottled.

I have heard that 50 year old mead is very nice....

> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Bob

"Tim McNally" > wrote in message
om...
> When mead is young, it is rememiscent of rocket fuel. When it ages 5
> years or so, it is still an acquired taste. At least straight dry
> mead. The only mead I made I liked was a lemon-lime one.
> Tim

Why on earth would someone want dry mead?? I've made mead for 25 years
and that strikes me as singularly silly.

Bob

"Tim McNally" > wrote in message
om...
> When mead is young, it is rememiscent of rocket fuel. When it ages 5
> years or so, it is still an acquired taste. At least straight dry
> mead. The only mead I made I liked was a lemon-lime one.
> Tim

Why on earth would someone want dry mead?? I've made mead for 25 years
and that strikes me as singularly silly.

Bob

"Brian Lundeen" > wrote in message

> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > A friend of mine commented that wine makes him more outgoing where mead
> > makes him more mellow. I don't know if others would agree but I think I

> do.
> >

> Mead drinkers are all hippies, so it was probably the pot that went along
> with it that did it. ;-)

Farm out, man! Right arm! Power to the people, kill whitey, free Angela
Davis!!!

> Brian

Bob

"Brian Lundeen" > wrote in message

> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > A friend of mine commented that wine makes him more outgoing where mead
> > makes him more mellow. I don't know if others would agree but I think I

> do.
> >

> Mead drinkers are all hippies, so it was probably the pot that went along
> with it that did it. ;-)

Farm out, man! Right arm! Power to the people, kill whitey, free Angela
Davis!!!

> Brian

Bob

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
. com...
> That is the style you are making. Use a larger portion of honey and a
> smaller portion of fruit and it will come out tasting more like mead with

> hint of the fruit. A matter of taste.

My rule of thumb is to get half of your fermentable sugars from each.