Old 21-09-2018, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Help: Removing Elderberry Residue

I tried several approaches with no good result, so I thought the sticky green stuff might be oil based (it floats). I rubbed everything down with vegetable oil, then I washed it all away with warm water & dish soap. I think the residue comes from the berry skins so now I avoid pulverizing the berries.

On Tuesday, 24 September 1996 03:00:00 UTC-4, Donald & Melissa Hellen wrote:
I just racked my elderberry wine into secondary containers and now I need to
remove the sticky green stuff from the primary and the fruit bags. This stuff
seems to come from the pulp and seeds, not the extracted juice. Some of it has
stuck to the top inner wall of the primary and here and there on the bags.. TSP
substitute does not seem to remove it. Detergent (used on my hands to remove it
from them) hardly works at all. For now, I am soaking it and the bags with a
strong solution of chlorine and TSP substitute (it is no longer sold around
here.) This should keep it from drying out until I figure out what to do..

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do about it? Any
suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Please respond via email (you may post also if you like, but I might not read
the post. I will read my email.)

Donald Hellen