FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   What fruits are best to ferment (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/421493-what-fruits-best-ferment.html)

Tim west 02-12-2012 08:59 PM

What fruits are best to ferment

Complete novice has started fermenting orange juice and a mixture of orange
juice and sliced apple. Are these good fruits to go for or would I get
better results from other fruits?

Also I would be grateful to know very roughly how much sugar to how much
liquid produces what percentage of alcohol? Thanks.

Robert[_13_] 02-12-2012 10:32 PM

"Tim west" > wrote in message
> Complete novice has started fermenting orange juice and a mixture of
> orange juice and sliced apple. Are these good fruits to go for or would I
> get better results from other fruits?
>
> Also I would be grateful to know very roughly how much sugar to how much
> liquid produces what percentage of alcohol? Thanks.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp

Midway down the page is a chart listing amount of sugar in a gallon or added
to a gallon of water for percentage of alcohol.
You will also find recipes for any type of fruit listed on the web site.

Robert

Dick Adams[_3_] 03-12-2012 08:44 PM

Tim west > wrote:

> Complete novice has started fermenting orange juice and a mixture of orange
> juice and sliced apple. Are these good fruits to go for or would I get
> better results from other fruits?

Orange juice should have a Brix of ~10.7 and an SG of 1.057. It will ferment
dry at 7.82 ABV. You can add sugar to it to increase both the SG and the ABV.

I'm not a big fan of fermented Orange Juice.

Pavel314[_2_] 06-12-2012 08:50 PM

On Sunday, December 2, 2012 3:59:05 PM UTC-5, Tim west remoove wrote:
> Complete novice has started fermenting orange juice and a mixture of orange juice and sliced apple. Are these good fruits to go for or would I get better results from other fruits? Also I would be grateful to know very roughly how much sugar to how much liquid produces what percentage of alcohol? Thanks.

I've had very good reviews on my pear wine. I've also made apple, elderberry and quince wines.

Paul

[email protected] 27-05-2016 01:53 PM

What fruits are best to ferment

how about Mango? how long can a Green Mango last when being fermented? or when added preservatives?