Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default resistant varieties

Has anyone good results with vines that are resistant to fungi? I want to
replant my vineyard and am searching for good new varieties I do not need
to spray every fortnight. I do have the Leon Millot that is real resistant
and need no other care that pruning and harvesting. So if anyone has
another variaty please let me know which type, if it has white red or blue
berries and if it ripens early?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Nick > wrote in :

> Has anyone good results with vines that are resistant to fungi? I want to
> replant my vineyard and am searching for good new varieties I do not need
> to spray every fortnight. I do have the Leon Millot that is real resistant
> and need no other care that pruning and harvesting. So if anyone has
> another variaty please let me know which type, if it has white red or blue
> berries and if it ripens early?

Possibly a better idea is to use a more effective fungicide. We've tried just about everything
available to the home gardener, mostly without success -- until two years ago, when we
discovered Immunox. Goodbye, black rot. Goodbye, powdery mildew. Goodbye, every kind
of fungus that had ever plagued us in the past. Stuff's not cheap -- near fifteen dollars a pint --
but by golly it WORKS. You should be able to find it at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. I think I've
even seen it at Walmart, but I could be mistaken there.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:36:13 PM UTC-5, Nick wrote:
> Has anyone good results with vines that are resistant to fungi? I want to
>
> replant my vineyard and am searching for good new varieties I do not need
>
> to spray every fortnight. I do have the Leon Millot that is real resistant
>
> and need no other care that pruning and harvesting. So if anyone has
>
> another variaty please let me know which type, if it has white red or blue
>
> berries and if it ripens early?

Depending on where you are located there are a few choices for no/minimum spray varieties. If cold hardiness or short season limitations aren't an issue, Norton (black) and Villard Blanc are viable choices. Chambourcin is also pretty good for fungal resistance. Regent is an early red wine grape with good disease resistance. It will not have extreme cold hardiness. I would recommend at least a dormant spray with any grape to eliminate overwintering fungi.

Stephen