Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default First time bottling mistake...

I bottled my first batch of wine, which was made from home grown
Concord grapes. The wine had been aging in a class carboy in my
basement for 2 years. (Not sure whether letting it sit longer helps,
but according to the "Vines to Wines" book, he says it ages better in
bulk than in individual bottles).

Anyway, I sweetened about 1/2 the batch with Concord grape juice, and
then bottled. I was surprised to see corks popping out after a few
weeks, and also tasting one of the bottles, it seems like it became a
fizzy wine.

I thought that once the wine reached full alchoholic level, all the
yeast died? I guess also, based on what I just read, you have to add
Sorbate when bottling to prevent this?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:21:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

:

>> I bottled my first batch of wine, which was made from home grown
>> Concord grapes. The wine had been aging in a class carboy in my
>> basement for 2 years. (Not sure whether letting it sit longer helps,
>> but according to the "Vines to Wines" book, he says it ages better in
>> bulk than in individual bottles).
>>
>> Anyway, I sweetened about 1/2 the batch with Concord grape juice, and
>> then bottled.

>Oops.
>
>>I was surprised to see corks popping out after a few
>> weeks, and also tasting one of the bottles, it seems like it became a
>> fizzy wine.

>Doesn't surprise me. You're lucky the corks popped before the bottles exploded.
>>
>> I thought that once the wine reached full alchoholic level, all the
>> yeast died?

>Fermentation stops when EITHER of two things happens: the alcohol level becomes high
>enough to kill the yeast, or there is no sugar left to ferment.
>
>Most fermentations stop for the latter reason, not the former -- and, as you have discovered,
>if additional sugar is introduced, the yeast will be happy to ferment it for you.
>
>> I guess also, based on what I just read, you have to add
>> Sorbate when bottling to prevent this?

>Yes. NEVER sweeten a wine without adding sorbate at the same time.

Or you could sweeten it with stevia I think, without sorbate.

Charlie
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Charlie <charliedatiinet.net.aus> wrote in news:grnqm7tqc6itttkusnue63uqapang33r8c@
4ax.com:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:21:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
> > wrote:
>
>>Yes. NEVER sweeten a wine without adding sorbate at the same time.

> Or you could sweeten it with stevia I think, without sorbate.

Stevia is not fermentable, but it may, or may not, produce palatable results. Wines are
sweetened with table sugar, fruit juice, or honey for a reason. I certainly would never consider
sweetening an entire batch with stevia, or any artificial sweetener, without having tested it first,
both by the glass (to see if the flavors are compatible) and by the bottle (to make sure it
doesn't develop off-flavors during aging).
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Doug Miller wrote:
> Charlie <charliedatiinet.net.aus> wrote in
> news:grnqm7tqc6itttkusnue63uqapang33r8c@ 4ax.com:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:21:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Yes. NEVER sweeten a wine without adding sorbate at the same time.

>> Or you could sweeten it with stevia I think, without sorbate.

> Stevia is not fermentable, but it may, or may not, produce palatable
> results. Wines are
> sweetened with table sugar, fruit juice, or honey for a reason. I
> certainly would never consider sweetening an entire batch with
> stevia, or any artificial sweetener, without having tested it first,
> both by the glass (to see if the flavors are compatible) and by the
> bottle (to make sure it
> doesn't develop off-flavors during aging).

I've used stevia by the glass for both plum wine and cider. It works fine in
both. Long term, I don't have any experience.

I wouldn't recommend the commercial blends where a teaspoon of "stevia" replaces
a teaspoon of sugar. The fillers kill the taste. The stevia I use takes maybe a
matchhead or two to replace a teaspoon of sugar.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 13:16:40 -0700, "Bob F" >
wrote:

>Doug Miller wrote:
>> Charlie <charliedatiinet.net.aus> wrote in
>> news:grnqm7tqc6itttkusnue63uqapang33r8c@ 4ax.com:
>>
>>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:21:40 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

>>> Or you could sweeten it with stevia I think, without sorbate.

>> Stevia is not fermentable, but it may, or may not, produce palatable
>> results. Wines are
>> sweetened with table sugar, fruit juice, or honey for a reason. I
>> certainly would never consider sweetening an entire batch with
>> stevia, or any artificial sweetener, without having tested it first,
>> both by the glass (to see if the flavors are compatible) and by the
>> bottle (to make sure it
>> doesn't develop off-flavors during aging).

>I've used stevia by the glass for both plum wine and cider. It works fine in
>both. Long term, I don't have any experience.
>
>I wouldn't recommend the commercial blends where a teaspoon of "stevia" replaces
>a teaspoon of sugar. The fillers kill the taste. The stevia I use takes maybe a
>matchhead or two to replace a teaspoon of sugar.

I've not used it at all, but thanks for the tip.
Charlie

Mistake: Don't Do This jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 9 12-01-2015 08:33 AM
another mistake [email protected] Winemaking 5 14-12-2007 06:45 PM
pea mistake elaine General Cooking 29 21-11-2006 02:48 AM
Sad mistake! mroo philpott-smythe Asian Cooking 82 27-01-2005 03:58 AM
time period between filtering and bottling? LG1111 Winemaking 3 31-05-2004 07:44 AM