Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default nitrogen wine storage?

Not quite on topic, but close...

Went out to dinner last night, and asked for a glass of pinot grigio.
It arrived looking as fizzy as champagne with a lump of sugar, and the
explanation was that the restaurant used some sort of
nitrogen-atmosphere storage system for opened bottles of wine. Drinking
it, I could feel the fizziness on my tongue, and it tasted... well, not
quite like vinegar, but close enough (no, I didn't take a second sip.
It went back).

Anybody know anything about this system? And does it normally work to
preserve wine a while, or was my experience common?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message
> Not quite on topic, but close...
>
> Went out to dinner last night, and asked for a glass of pinot grigio.
> It arrived looking as fizzy as champagne with a lump of sugar, and the
> explanation was that the restaurant used some sort of
> nitrogen-atmosphere storage system for opened bottles of wine. Drinking
> it, I could feel the fizziness on my tongue, and it tasted... well, not
> quite like vinegar, but close enough (no, I didn't take a second sip.
> It went back).
>
> Anybody know anything about this system? And does it normally work to
> preserve wine a while, or was my experience common?

Sounds like someone either hit it with CO2 instead of nitrogen or managed to
pressurize the wine with nitrogen.

Wine storage Dead Dick Wine 11 10-06-2009 09:39 PM
Wine storage 200 bottle Steven Lipson Wine 1 27-02-2007 09:58 PM
Wine storage [email protected] Wine 6 13-01-2005 10:52 PM
wine storage windsor Wine 6 13-01-2005 10:52 PM
Wine in Box Bladders for Wine Storage gerald Wine 0 25-08-2004 01:31 PM