Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Can you store wine in screw top bottles

I tend to keep my wine in 5 litre demijohns and then transfer to screw top bottles when ready.Are the seals in the screw top caps reusable again and again,and could you store wine in this type of bottle for a year or two?
If not can one obtain replacement new caps with seals.
Michael
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"michael" > wrote in message
>I tend to keep my wine in 5 litre demijohns and then transfer to screw top
>bottles when ready.Are the seals in the screw top caps reusable again and
>again,and could you store wine in this type of bottle for a year or two?
> If not can one obtain replacement new caps with seals.
> Michael

As long as the seal is good, I'd say yes.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:27:27 PM UTC, Steve Peek wrote:
> "michael" wrote in message
> >I tend to keep my wine in 5 litre demijohns and then transfer to screw top
> >bottles when ready.Are the seals in the screw top caps reusable again and
> >again,and could you store wine in this type of bottle for a year or two?
> > If not can one obtain replacement new caps with seals.
> > Michael

> As long as the seal is good, I'd say yes.

Thanks for your reply,Steve.Have you had any experience with long term storage using second hand botlles and seals?I have some rather good reds I have made and I am not sure whether to leave the wine tightly stoppered in 5L demijohns or transfer it to second hand wine bottles for a couple of years storage.The way I see it is that corks are not that air tight and isnt the idea of keeping wine in bottles for a couple of years to age slowly by letting some air in though the cork.I am not sure that I understand the bottling process for long term maturation.
Michael
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

You really need to go to www.winepress.us . There are lots of very
knowledgeable folks there.

"michael" > wrote in message
On Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:27:27 PM UTC, Steve Peek wrote:
> "michael" wrote in message
> >I tend to keep my wine in 5 litre demijohns and then transfer to screw
> >top
> >bottles when ready.Are the seals in the screw top caps reusable again and
> >again,and could you store wine in this type of bottle for a year or two?
> > If not can one obtain replacement new caps with seals.
> > Michael

> As long as the seal is good, I'd say yes.

Thanks for your reply,Steve.Have you had any experience with long term
storage using second hand botlles and seals?I have some rather good reds I
have made and I am not sure whether to leave the wine tightly stoppered in
5L demijohns or transfer it to second hand wine bottles for a couple of
years storage.The way I see it is that corks are not that air tight and isnt
the idea of keeping wine in bottles for a couple of years to age slowly by
letting some air in though the cork.I am not sure that I understand the
bottling process for long term maturation.
Michael

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

They did a study some years ago. Screw top bottles are actually better for
wine than corks. I've reused screw tops over and over with no problems.

"michael" > wrote in message
> I tend to keep my wine in 5 litre demijohns and then transfer to screw top
> bottles when ready.Are the seals in the screw top caps reusable again and
> again,and could you store wine in this type of bottle for a year or two?
> If not can one obtain replacement new caps with seals.
> Michael

Member

Location: Missouri
Send a message via Yahoo to CrazyMadVintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
They did a study some years ago. Screw top bottles are actually better for
wine than corks.
Do you know who did the study on that? I'd like to read about it.

To answer the OP, I believe if you get the caps that have a rubber seal in them then you'll be fine. What I do is boil the caps for a few minutes to get that "seal" nice and pliable. Then with tongs I cap the bottle and immediately screw it down fairly tight.

Works really well for long term storage.