Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Non-Alcoholic Wine?

Does anyone know how to de-alcoholize the home-made wine?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 1/1/2012 11:06 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Does anyone know how to de-alcoholize the home-made wine?

That depends -- what's your objective?

If you want to get rid of the alcohol and keep the wine:
1) Heat it in an open vessel to 80 degrees Celsius. Most of the alcohol
will boil away, leaving nearly everything else behind. Downside: this
*will* have an adverse effect on the flavor of what's left.
2) In a closed vessel at room temperature, reduce the pressure to less
than 40 torr (0.05 atm). The alcohol will boil away, without affecting
the remaining constituents of the wine. Downside: laboratory or
industrial pressure vessels are required.

If you want to get rid of the wine and keep the alcohol, that's easy:
Google on "making a still". Downside, part I: if (as I believe) you're
in the United States, it's against the law. Downside, part II: if you
don't know what you're doing, there's some danger involved.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 1/1/2012 12:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Does anyone know how to de-alcoholize the home-made wine?

I guess the bigger question is why on earth would anyone make wine and
then want to de-alcoholize it?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Wally" > wrote in message
> On 1/1/2012 12:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to de-alcoholize the home-made wine?
>>

> I guess the bigger question is why on earth would anyone make wine and
> then want to de-alcoholize it?

I've been put on a medicine that reacts badly with alcohol and I love wine
with dinner.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 1/1/2012 4:55 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 1/1/2012 12:06 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how to de-alcoholize the home-made wine?
>>>

>> I guess the bigger question is why on earth would anyone make wine and
>> then want to de-alcoholize it?

> I've been put on a medicine that reacts badly with alcohol and I love wine
> with dinner.

In that case, the best suggestion I can make is to talk with your
physician and your pharmacist. Many of the warnings on medications are
there because there is a small but non-zero risk of minor problems in
some cases, not because there is a large risk of major problems in most
cases.

Perhaps the risk, and the consequences, are minor enough that most
people can safely ignore them. Or perhaps they're not.

Perhaps if you take wine with dinner, and the medication several hours
later (e.g. at bedtime) there won't be any problem. Or perhaps there
will be.

Perhaps the problems with this medication occur only in combination with
large amounts of alcohol, and with only one small glass of wine at
dinner there won't be any problem. Or perhaps there will be.

Only your physician and pharmacist can give you proper advice on this
subject. Talk to them both.

Alcoholic Taste [email protected] Winemaking 4 16-07-2007 06:42 PM
new fru-fru alcoholic beverage -L. General Cooking 2 05-07-2006 05:32 AM
Non-Alcoholic Fruitcake? Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 23 14-12-2005 08:41 PM
Non Alcoholic Wine Allen Winemaking 1 06-10-2004 06:28 PM
Non-Alcoholic Wine Producers JB Wine 0 21-01-2004 09:43 AM