Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Why Not?

Why don't they make commercial wines from fruit other than grapes?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 10/5/2011 7:53 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Why don't they make commercial wines from fruit other than grapes?

They do; you just haven't been paying attention. :-)

There are quite a few wineries that make wine from sour cherries, and it
is *outstanding* -- St. Julian is one of my favorite brands.

I've also seen commercial wine made from apples, blackberries (another
one of my favorites), strawberries, sweet cherries, and plums.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
> On 10/5/2011 7:53 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> Why don't they make commercial wines from fruit other than grapes?
>>

> They do; you just haven't been paying attention. :-)
>
> There are quite a few wineries that make wine from sour cherries, and it
> is *outstanding* -- St. Julian is one of my favorite brands.
>
> I've also seen commercial wine made from apples, blackberries (another one
> of my favorites), strawberries, sweet cherries, and plums.

I've looked through wine stores and large supermarkets with large wine
sections and never seen anything like that. Where is it that you buy such
things?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 10/6/2011 11:07 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Doug > wrote in message
>> On 10/5/2011 7:53 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> Why don't they make commercial wines from fruit other than grapes?
>>>

>> They do; you just haven't been paying attention. :-)
>>
>> There are quite a few wineries that make wine from sour cherries, and it
>> is *outstanding* -- St. Julian is one of my favorite brands.
>>
>> I've also seen commercial wine made from apples, blackberries (another one
>> of my favorites), strawberries, sweet cherries, and plums.

> I've looked through wine stores and large supermarkets with large wine
> sections and never seen anything like that. Where is it that you buy such
> things?

Wine stores and large supermarkets with large wine sections. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In message >, Doug Miller
> writes
>On 10/6/2011 11:07 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>>>
>>> They do; you just haven't been paying attention. :-)
>>>
>>> There are quite a few wineries that make wine from sour cherries, and it
>>> is *outstanding* -- St. Julian is one of my favorite brands.
>>>
>>> I've also seen commercial wine made from apples, blackberries (another one
>>> of my favorites), strawberries, sweet cherries, and plums.

>> I've looked through wine stores and large supermarkets with large wine
>> sections and never seen anything like that. Where is it that you buy such
>> things?

http://www.lurgashall.co.uk/
HTH

--
Nick (=----)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 10/6/2011 1:29 PM, Nick wrote:
> In message >, Doug Miller
> > writes

>>> I've looked through wine stores and large supermarkets with large wine
>>> sections and never seen anything like that. Where is it that you buy
>>> such
>>> things?

> http://www.lurgashall.co.uk/
> HTH

Tom's IP address puts him somewhere in Los Angeles, so I doubt that's
actually much use to him...

>> Wine stores and large supermarkets with large wine sections. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:53:28 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

> Why don't they make commercial wines from fruit other than grapes?

Because the laws of supply and demand, there is very little demand for
fruit wines so almost nothing is commercially available. Yes, I have had
some excellent fruits from home wine makers so I have nothing against
fruit wines. If you have a nut every month of several thousands dollars
you have to meet, you sell what meets that nut, unfortunately fruit wines
aren't going to crack the nut. I use to buy cases of some fantastic
Olallieberry wine in Santa Barbara at the Santa Barbara Winery (they also
sold some other great fruit wines), then they kissed fruit wines goodbye
and only sold "Varietal Wines" as I was informed by a guy behind the
counter with his nose in the air. If he was in front of the counter I
would have kicked him in the ass, the little prick.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In message >, Doug Miller
> writes
>On 10/6/2011 1:29 PM, Nick wrote:
>> In message >, Doug Miller
>> > writes

>> http://www.lurgashall.co.uk/
>> HTH

>Tom's IP address puts him somewhere in Los Angeles, so I doubt that's
>actually much use to him...

I realised he was over the pond, but assumed, perhaps incorrectly, he
was interested in general. They do sell online and, although I didn't
check, thought they might either ship overseas or have useful contacts
there.

>>> Wine stores and large supermarkets with large wine sections. ;-)

--
Nick (=----)
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 10/6/2011 9:52 PM, Buckaroo wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:53:28 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:
>
>> Why don't they make commercial wines from fruit other than grapes?

> Because the laws of supply and demand, there is very little demand for
> fruit wines so almost nothing is commercially available.

Nonsense.

True, there isn't nearly as much fruit wine available as grape wine, but
to describe the availability of commercial fruit wines as "almost
nothing" is clearly false.

Although the selection is smaller, they *are* available, and readily
available.

You just haven't been paying attention.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

> You just haven't been paying attention.

You are right I went into the market
and found a great strawberry wine from a place called Boone's Farm
and a wonderful apple wine from Annie Green Springs

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 10/10/2011 8:25 PM, Buckaroo wrote:

>> You just haven't been paying attention.

> You are right I went into the market
> and found a great strawberry wine from a place called Boone's Farm
> and a wonderful apple wine from Annie Green Springs

Next time, visit a grocery store where the majority of the customers are
*not* using food stamps.

Most of the grocery stores I shop at don't carry Boone's Farm. And I
don't even remember the last time I saw a bottle of Annie Green Springs.

Indianapolis isn't exactly the heart of wine country, or fruit country,
either, yet I have *no* trouble finding sour cherry wine, mead,
blackberry wine -- and I don't mean Manischewitz -- apple wine, *real*
strawberry wine, even mango wine (!) in the grocery stores here. Most of
the liquor stores and wine shops have even better selections.

I repeat: if you can't find fruit wines, especially if you can't find
them at wine or liquor shops, you just aren't paying attention.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:28:02 -0400, Doug Miller wrote:

> On 10/10/2011 8:25 PM, Buckaroo wrote:

Relax Doug, I was just screwing with your head. I haven't seen a bottle
of Boone's Farm or Annie Green Spring in over 30 years.

I live in El Dorado County in Northern California,(goes from Sacramento
to Tahoe - a long shitty gold country county, but hey, They use to hang
someone everyday here in the 1850's, we still have a dummy hanging on
main street, for tourist, in "Old HangTown" Placerville, weird, yeah I
know). BTW, gold is still here I have found a few nuggets in the creek at
the bottom of my property.

There are a little over 70 wineries here and not one makes a fruit wine.
You know I take that back, I think there is an apple farm that makes an
apple wine, but not really a winery. And there are just over a 1000
wineries in California and I am guessing there may be only one or two
that make a fruit wine unless they are a winery that specializes in Fruit
Wines. I am told some do exit here.

BESIDES, I am not looking for any fruit wines, I was just answering the
OP question. I rarely buy wine when I keep a constant 200 to 400 gallons
of Varietal wines in my "cellar".

Yesterday, I was out in a vineyard, just down the street from me,
inspecting some cabernet and merlot. Cab was very nice, but the Merlot is
going to be spotty. If the dam rain doesn't screw things up, I should be
getting several hundreds of grapes this coming weekend. Plus I have my
own vineyard of 60 Barbera Vines which should give me another 500-600
pounds. Basically, I stay fairly well set with all the wine I can drink.

Oh, Had our wine club "social" this weekend. I have about 70 or 80
pictures to post in the gallery, So far have posted about 24. I am there,
However, lol www.edhwm.com

I am Helaman, look under Photo Gallery, first category

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Being in the Great Plains area of the country (Omaha NE) vineyards are
obviously not as numerous as California, although we do have some nice
vineyards throughout the state. Out here fruit tends to be more abundant
then grapes, so we tend to see regional wineries producing some really nice
fruit wines.

One to note is Prairie Berry Winery in the heart of the Black Hills is South
Dakota.

http://prairieberry.com/

They have a nice mix of grape and fruit wines of all types; Chokecherries,
honey, raspberry, plum, apple, pear and even pumpkin..
Our favorite is the Red Ass Rhubarb (Of which I am trying to copy - so far
unsuccessfully)

I guess this is the wine that has really kick started my desire to learn how
to make wine, especially with all of the availability of local fruits.

-Tyler

> I live in El Dorado County in Northern California,(goes from Sacramento
> to Tahoe - a long shitty gold country county, but hey, They use to hang
> someone everyday here in the 1850's, we still have a dummy hanging on
> main street, for tourist, in "Old HangTown" Placerville, weird, yeah I
> know). BTW, gold is still here I have found a few nuggets in the creek at
> the bottom of my property.
>
> There are a little over 70 wineries here and not one makes a fruit wine.
> You know I take that back, I think there is an apple farm that makes an
> apple wine, but not really a winery. And there are just over a 1000
> wineries in California and I am guessing there may be only one or two
> that make a fruit wine unless they are a winery that specializes in Fruit
> Wines. I am told some do exit here.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:56:55 -0500, Tycarnell wrote:

> They have a nice mix of grape and fruit wines of all types;
> Chokecherries, honey, raspberry, plum, apple, pear and even pumpkin..
> Our favorite is the Red Ass Rhubarb (Of which I am trying to copy - so
> far unsuccessfully)
>
> I guess this is the wine that has really kick started my desire to learn
> how to make wine, especially with all of the availability of local
> fruits.
>
> -Tyler

There a couple of people in our wine club who are from back east. They
swear by Rhubarb wine. I might have to order some just to taste it for
myself.

I started raising Bees this year, in order to get enough honey to make
Mead. I have had some excellent Mead wine and would like to duplicate
it. That reminds me, there was a Winery along the Coast down South making
a mead wine along with the standard stuff. They made an excellent Mead,
can't remember the name now...Santa 'something' winery, but there are a
lot of wineries called Santa Something along the coast.

I planted some Elberberry plants long ago and have made wine with it.
Letting it go to dryness is not good idea, tasted funky, had to add a
bunch of sugar to make it a sweet wine. It is too much worked to harvest
them takes hours cleaning the little berrys so haven't made any in a
number years. It a shame not to use them for something as I planted
enough plants to produce several pounds of fruit. Well, the birds enjoy
them.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Nick" > wrote in message
> In message >, Doug Miller
>>
>>Tom's IP address puts him somewhere in Los Angeles, so I doubt that's
>>actually much use to him...

> I realised he was over the pond, but assumed, perhaps incorrectly, he was
> interested in general. They do sell online and, although I didn't check,
> thought they might either ship overseas or have useful contacts there.

The problem is the cost. The wine here is expensive enough without buying it
overseas and shipping it here.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

replying to Tycarnell, Prairie Berry Winery wrote:
Thanks for mentioning us, Tyler! Good luck with the winemaking! Keep
experimenting--you never know when you'll wind up with something you like
better.

We love to experiment with fruit wines, and our winemaker is certainly not
afraid to try something new. One of our fan-favorite fall wines is Pumpkin
Bog, a cranberry/pumpkin wine. We have made wine out of rose hips,
buffaloberries, currants, strawberries, raspberries, wild plums--pretty much
anything we can find in plentiful supply. Red Ass Rhubarb is our biggest
seller and has won the most awards for us, but we are getting quite a
following for our South Dakota-grown grapes as well. They are completely
different from the traditional varietals, but they take the heat and the cold
and produce some fantastic (and award-winning) wine. We also make zinfandel,
Merlot, cab, Concord, chardonnay and several other varietals. We do have to
get those grapes from other regions, that don't see 100+ heat and -40 cold,
but we like to have a well-rounded offering.
We do sell our wine online, and can ship to quite a few states.

Great question, and thanks for including us in the discussion!

--
posted from
http://www.drinksforum.com/winemakin...not-32878-.htm