Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Alcohol Content

Does home made wine generally have more or less alcohol that the store
bought stuff?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It depends on the yeast you use. I've made wine as much as 17%
before.

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 16:56:47 -0700, "Tom Kunich"
> wrote:

>Does home made wine generally have more or less alcohol that the store
>bought stuff?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 9/9/2011 7:56 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Does home made wine generally have more or less alcohol that the store
> bought stuff?

If you're using commercial kits, or grapes or juice purchased from a
vineyard, the alcohol content is about the same as in commercial wines,
unless you deliberately add more sugar. The reason is that you're
starting from essentially the same raw materials that the commercial
wineries use, and so you're going to wind up with about the same alcohol
content.

If you're making your own from other fruits, all bets are off. Wine
grapes are the only fruit that contains enough sugar entirely on its own
to make good wine. If you're using any other fruit, even other types of
grapes, you have to add sugar -- sometimes a *lot* of sugar -- to get
the alcohol content up into the 10-12% range that's typical of grape
wines. And once you start adding your own sugar, well, you can make the
alcohol content turn out to be anything you want it to be.

Want lots of alcohol? Use lots of sugar, and a yeast that will tolerate
lots of alcohol.

Want less alcohol than usual? Use less sugar.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
> On 9/9/2011 7:56 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> Does home made wine generally have more or less alcohol that the store
>> bought stuff?
>>

> Want lots of alcohol? Use lots of sugar, and a yeast that will tolerate
> lots of alcohol.

I like the taste of wine, not the effects of the alcohol in it. At what
point does wine start tasting more like whiskey?

Banned

Don't really know how to make wines. But the difference between home made wines from commercial ones are their prices. Plus, whatever you are in control of whatever you like the wine should taste. Unlike in commercial ones where they already have the formula of how their wine should taste.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 9/18/2011 6:52 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Doug > wrote in message
>> On 9/9/2011 7:56 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> Does home made wine generally have more or less alcohol that the store
>>> bought stuff?
>>>

>> Want lots of alcohol? Use lots of sugar, and a yeast that will tolerate
>> lots of alcohol.

> I like the taste of wine, not the effects of the alcohol in it. At what
> point does wine start tasting more like whiskey?

Probably never. Most strains of wine yeast die at alcohol levels of
around 12 or 13%, some even lower. Champagne yeast will survive 18%.
Whiskey, on the other hand, is typically 40% or more. 86 proof (43%) is
common.

Alcohol content Frances Winemaking 8 22-04-2005 04:35 PM
Alcohol content Frances Winemaking 0 21-04-2005 05:03 PM
Alcohol content Graham Gilbert Winemaking 9 13-04-2005 12:47 AM
Alcohol Content R-D-C Winemaking 64 17-01-2005 09:09 PM
Alcohol content Relaxification Beer 30 15-06-2004 05:53 PM