FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Sweetness (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/407472-sweetness.html)

Tom Kunich 13-05-2011 06:24 PM

Sweetness

I have been making some Orange wine. After a couple of months I've tasted it
and it sure is sweet.

Should I add some more yeast?

A.J. Rawls 15-05-2011 07:29 AM

Sweetness

On 5/13/2011 9:24 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have been making some Orange wine. After a couple of months I've tasted it
> and it sure is sweet.
>
> Should I add some more yeast?

Look here for a method of restarting a stuck fermentation... Jack's
pages are a wonderful resource for all types of winemaking issues...
Stop in amd look around

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp

Later,
A. J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Tom Kunich 15-05-2011 02:36 PM

Sweetness

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

ions...

Steve[_6_] 15-05-2011 11:51 PM

Sweetness

On Fri, 13 May 2011 10:24:10 -0700, "Tom Kunich"
> wrote:

>I have been making some Orange wine. After a couple of months I've tasted it
>and it sure is sweet.
>
>Should I add some more yeast?

Some more info is ESSENTIAL to answer this question. At minimum, what
was the starting sg, and current sg. Some indicatiion of temperatures
would be nice as well. Also what recipe did you follow, and which
yeast did you use?

It's really tough to give useful answers without some info to work on.
Maybe you used way too much sugar, and it will never ferment to dry.

Steve

Tom Kunich 17-05-2011 07:26 PM

Sweetness

"Steve" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 May 2011 10:24:10 -0700, "Tom Kunich"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have been making some Orange wine. After a couple of months I've tasted
>>it
>>and it sure is sweet.

> Some more info is ESSENTIAL to answer this question. At minimum, what
> was the starting sg, and current sg. Some indicatiion of temperatures
> would be nice as well. Also what recipe did you follow, and which
> yeast did you use?
>
> It's really tough to give useful answers without some info to work on.
> Maybe you used way too much sugar, and it will never ferment to dry.

My memory is all fouled up from a head injury. But I distinctly remember
following a recipe from one of the wine sites so I don't think I added too
much sugar. In fact, I think I added less than they asked for because the
oranges were so sweet to begin with.