Old 22-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Darren George

Default Evil Wine....

Now, most people know that if you eat beets, or drink beet wine, you
have a change of passing red urine. What most peopel don't know is
that ingesting oxalic acid alongwith the beets greatly increses this
chance, as the oxalic interferes with the metabolism of the pigments.

So, if I starty a rhubarb-beet wine now, it should be ready to serve
on April Fool's Day.....

---The Mad Alchemist---
http://www.mad-alchemy.com
Email sent to the above address, unless clearly marked
as wine or heraldry, will be deleted unread.

Old 23-10-2004, 01:02 AM
Bob

"Darren George" wrote in message
Now, most people know that if you eat beets, or drink beet wine, you
have a change of passing red urine. What most peopel don't know is
that ingesting oxalic acid alongwith the beets greatly increses this
chance, as the oxalic interferes with the metabolism of the pigments.

So, if I starty a rhubarb-beet wine now, it should be ready to serve
on April Fool's Day.....

You are bad! :-)
I had a kidney infection at 12 and the doctor gave me a prescription for
some pills that turned my urine tuquoise blue for two weeks. Shoulda seen me
and the guys at the urinal in the locker room...

Old 23-10-2004, 04:18 AM
Jack Keller

Now, most people know that if you eat beets, or drink beet wine, you
have a change of passing red urine.

Darren, I've made and drank a lot of beet wine and never passed red
urine. My wife says she hasn't either. Where did you get this
information?

So, if I starty a rhubarb-beet wine now, it should be ready to serve
on April Fool's Day.....

April Fool's Day in 2007 perhaps. Beet wine does not lose its earthy
undertones for at least two years, but the wait is well worth it.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Old 24-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Ken Vale

Jack Keller wrote:
Now, most people know that if you eat beets, or drink beet wine, you
have a change of passing red urine.

Darren, I've made and drank a lot of beet wine and never passed red
urine. My wife says she hasn't either. Where did you get this
information?

I don't know where he got this information but googling it did come up
with a number of references that state it is possible, though some of
them state that it occurs in the "rare individual." None of the sources
say anything about how much beets someone is required to eat for this
condition to happen, nor how long it takes.
Darren you may have to go beyound and above just serving some wine, you
may have to serve a whole meal (beet soup, beat side dish, rhubarb pie
for desert, your beet/rhubarb wine; you may even have to add some red
food colouring to your meal).
Ken