Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default making wine from grape juice....from ASDA.

Hi everyone,
I remember sometime fairly recently someone asking about fermenting
pure grape juice. Well I'm just about to try substituting the normal
concentrated grape juice with ASDAs own brand of drinking juice [1].
I've been moved in this direction by my local wine/beer making
supplier who has stopped stocking the Youngs conc. grape juice in the
250 ml tins where he charged me £2.50 and now has changed to another
supplier and wants to charge me £3.90! Bugger that I thought. So I've
bought the ASDA brand of grape drinking juice having checked the
ingredients label first to make sure there's only juice and nothing
else. It also states the the grapes are from Spain. I've just measured
the S.G. which is 1070 and I'm going to make peach wine with a litre
of ASDA sustituted.
I've just though....why don't I ferment a gallon of ASDAs juice? Five
quid for a gallon of wine? Surely can't be too bad.

Right, I'm off to the kitchen and hopefully I'll have it done before
the England/USA footie match comes on :-)

[1]
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...equestid=50780

McK.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"McKevvy" > wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I've done it, and it comes out ok, although not wonderful.... useful
drinking plonk.

Don't forget the cost of any additional sugar, acid, yeast, nutrients, etc.
However, it still works out cheap!

Go for it - can't go wrong at this price, even if you have to use it for
cooking!

Barb

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 14 June, 13:15, "Barb" > wrote:
> "McKevvy" > wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
> I remember sometime fairly recently someone asking about fermenting
> pure grape juice. Well I'm just about to try substituting the normal
> concentrated grape juice with ASDAs own brand of drinking juice [1].
> I've been moved in this direction by my local wine/beer making
> supplier who has stopped stocking the Youngs conc. grape juice in the
> 250 ml tins where he charged me £2.50 and now has changed to another
> supplier and wants to charge me £3.90! Bugger that I thought. So I've
> bought the ASDA brand of grape drinking juice having checked the
> ingredients label first to make sure there's only juice and nothing
> else. It also states the the grapes are from Spain. I've just measured
> the S.G. which is 1070 and I'm going to make peach wine with a litre
> of ASDA sustituted.
> I've just though....why don't I ferment a gallon of ASDAs juice? Five
> quid for a gallon of wine? Surely can't be too bad.
>
> Right, I'm off to the kitchen and hopefully I'll have it done before
> the England/USA footie match comes on :-)
>
> [1]http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp;jses....
>
> McK.
>
> Yes, I've done it, and it comes out ok, although not wonderful.... useful
> drinking plonk.
>
> Don't forget the cost of any additional sugar, acid, yeast, nutrients, etc.
> However, it still works out cheap!
>
> Go for it - can't go wrong at this price, even if you have to use it for
> cooking!
>
> Barb

Yup it still works out cheaper than fruit wine and certainly cheaper
than cheap shop drinking plonk.
I'll give it a go this weekend.

Cheers
McKevvy
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"McKevvy" > wrote in message
[...]

You should look at the Home Beer and Winemaking Forum here

http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/foru...num=1282997241

That WOW - Wurzels orange wine - is easy to make and ferments well, very
well.
I do 4 gallons at a time.

It uses 1ltr each of grape juice and orange juice and 1.5 lb of sugar/gal
plus odds and sods.
It's about 12 - 13% as per recipe.
Guess you could use 2 ltrs of grape and exclude the orange.

I use 1lb sugar/gal and it ends up about 10%ABV ( SG about 1070 ) and less
than 35p per bottle to make at Tesco's prices of £2 per 3 litres of grape or
orange..

The link above is not the main thread on that forum for WOW.

Have a search for it and read it - it's worth the trouble.