sgbrix

Default All those that are doing "real" wine over here.

No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.

There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
get them from? How are you going about the processes?

Where do you belong?

SG Brix
William Frazier

It's funny that you should bring this up. My wine club has an amateaur wine
contest each November. I've asked the question...should we separate kit
wines from "scratch" wines (those made from grapes). In the end we decided
not to make the distinction. Winemaking is winemaking. Grape growing is
grape growing. I grow grapes and make wine from them so I tended to favor
separation. But I've also made a few kits. One of our better winemakers
made a BK Super Tuscan that was far superior to my version so I guess I have
to agree that the winemaker does make a difference.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas UsA

"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
> Where do you belong?
>
> SG Brix

William Frazier

It's funny that you should bring this up. My wine club has an amateaur wine
contest each November. I've asked the question...should we separate kit
wines from "scratch" wines (those made from grapes). In the end we decided
not to make the distinction. Winemaking is winemaking. Grape growing is
grape growing. I grow grapes and make wine from them so I tended to favor
separation. But I've also made a few kits. One of our better winemakers
made a BK Super Tuscan that was far superior to my version so I guess I have
to agree that the winemaker does make a difference.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas UsA

"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
> Where do you belong?
>
> SG Brix

Tom

How about the all of the above category?

I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley that
allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have purchased
must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK kit.

If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my peach,
strawberry and apple.

Tom
"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
> Where do you belong?
>
> SG Brix

Tom

How about the all of the above category?

I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley that
allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have purchased
must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK kit.

If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my peach,
strawberry and apple.

Tom
"sgbrix" > wrote in message
om...
> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
> Where do you belong?
>
> SG Brix

R-D-C

Does my mead from jars of purchased honey count? ;-)

"Tom" > wrote in message
> How about the all of the above category?
>
> I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley that
> allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have purchased
> must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
> source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK kit.
>
> If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my peach,
> strawberry and apple.
>
> Tom
> "sgbrix" > wrote in message
> om...
>> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
>> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>>
>> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
>> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>>
>> Where do you belong?
>>
>> SG Brix

R-D-C

"Tom" > wrote in message
> How about the all of the above category?
>
> I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley that
> allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have purchased
> must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
> source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK kit.
>
> If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my peach,
> strawberry and apple.
>
> Tom
> "sgbrix" > wrote in message
> om...
>> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
>> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>>
>> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
>> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>>
>> Where do you belong?
>>
>> SG Brix

R-D-C

"Tom" > wrote in message
> How about the all of the above category?
>
> I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley that
> allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have purchased
> must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
> source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK kit.
>
> If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my peach,
> strawberry and apple.
>
> Tom
> "sgbrix" > wrote in message
> om...
>> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
>> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>>
>> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
>> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>>
>> Where do you belong?
>>
>> SG Brix

Jack Keller

I make wine from whole grapes (my own, wild and from other people's
vines), from juice (usually a gift), from concentrates, from fruit,
vegetables, roots, flowers, bark, seeds, honey, berries, leaves,
stems, nuts, sap, and milk (coconut). They are all "real" wines
except for the meads and a few ciders.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

J F

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
> I make wine from whole grapes (my own, wild and from other people's
> vines), from juice (usually a gift), from concentrates, from fruit,
> vegetables, roots, flowers, bark, seeds, honey, berries, leaves,
> stems, nuts, sap, and milk (coconut).

How do you find space and time for so many different batches?

J F

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
> I make wine from whole grapes (my own, wild and from other people's
> vines), from juice (usually a gift), from concentrates, from fruit,
> vegetables, roots, flowers, bark, seeds, honey, berries, leaves,
> stems, nuts, sap, and milk (coconut).

How do you find space and time for so many different batches?

Bob

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> Does my mead from jars of purchased honey count? ;-)

It had damned well better count, or this redneck boy is gonna load his
guns... <eg>

> "Tom" > wrote in message
> > How about the all of the above category?
> >
> > I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley

that
> > allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have

purchased
> > must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
> > source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK kit.
> >
> > If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my peach,
> > strawberry and apple.
> >
> > Tom
> > "sgbrix" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
> >> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
> >>
> >> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
> >> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
> >>
> >> Where do you belong?
> >>
> >> SG Brix

Bob

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> Does my mead from jars of purchased honey count? ;-)

It had damned well better count, or this redneck boy is gonna load his
guns... <eg>

> "Tom" > wrote in message
> > How about the all of the above category?
> >
> > I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley

that
> > allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have

purchased
> > must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
> > source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK kit.
> >
> > If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my peach,
> > strawberry and apple.
> >
> > Tom
> > "sgbrix" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
> >> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
> >>
> >> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
> >> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
> >>
> >> Where do you belong?
> >>
> >> SG Brix

MikeMTM

sgbrix ,

I've just racked my home grown red off its gross lees. It's a field
blend of Chelois, Chambourcin, NY 73, and Baco. I also have a field
blended white, a blend of Traminette, Vignoles & St. Pepin. The size of
the harvest was pitiable, so I'll probably make a few white kits & some
country wines. Occasionally I'll get some Vinifera grapes from a friend
who's a commercial grower/maker.

I like the romance of growing & making wine from scratch, but if I
can't, I'll do what I _must_ .

--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

spud

This is my first year making wine and have commited to bulk aging or
bottles cranberry, orange, banana, prune, lilac, lavender, strawberry,
grapefrit, cherry, blueberry, apple, peach, blackberry, jalapeno,
pear, cantalope, concord grapes. In the freezer is more blackberry,
and pumpkin, carrot, plum and rhubarb.

Last month a very nice retired fellow with a hobby vineyard hung a
small sign at the local store saying wine grapes were avaible in small
batches to anyone with the enthusiasm to pick 'em. A phone number was
provided. He had some interest....of sorts.

One person called. There's 6 gal of Chenin Blanc, 4 gal of what he
recalled was a Bavarian Gamay, 5 gal of Zin, and 5 gal of Cabernet
Sav. in carboys in the garage.

The gentleman is coming over for dinner this weekend. I've all ready
made arrangements to learn/help with pruning, fertilizing, training
etc. this winter if he can use the help. I don't know how to even
begin to repay his kindness. His experience is really a treasure,
talking wine and grapes with someone is a pleasure.

I keep saying he has no idea what a wonderful ending to my first year
of winemaking this is. He just chuckles and says it was a pretty good
year for grapes.

Steve
Oregon

On 18 Oct 2004 18:44:12 -0700, (sgbrix) wrote:

>No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
>be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
>There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
>get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
>Where do you belong?
>
>SG Brix

spud

This is my first year making wine and have commited to bulk aging or
bottles cranberry, orange, banana, prune, lilac, lavender, strawberry,
grapefrit, cherry, blueberry, apple, peach, blackberry, jalapeno,
pear, cantalope, concord grapes. In the freezer is more blackberry,
and pumpkin, carrot, plum and rhubarb.

Last month a very nice retired fellow with a hobby vineyard hung a
small sign at the local store saying wine grapes were avaible in small
batches to anyone with the enthusiasm to pick 'em. A phone number was
provided. He had some interest....of sorts.

One person called. There's 6 gal of Chenin Blanc, 4 gal of what he
recalled was a Bavarian Gamay, 5 gal of Zin, and 5 gal of Cabernet
Sav. in carboys in the garage.

The gentleman is coming over for dinner this weekend. I've all ready
made arrangements to learn/help with pruning, fertilizing, training
etc. this winter if he can use the help. I don't know how to even
begin to repay his kindness. His experience is really a treasure,
talking wine and grapes with someone is a pleasure.

I keep saying he has no idea what a wonderful ending to my first year
of winemaking this is. He just chuckles and says it was a pretty good
year for grapes.

Steve
Oregon

On 18 Oct 2004 18:44:12 -0700, (sgbrix) wrote:

>No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
>be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
>There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
>get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
>Where do you belong?
>
>SG Brix

gene

sgbrix wrote:
> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
> Where do you belong?
>
> SG Brix

Real Sauvignon Blanc and Zinfandel here in Sonoma County, California,
from local Russian River appellation grapes.

Both are from 2nd growth grapes, after the vineyard was commercially
harvested.

The 1.5 gallons Sauv Blanc is racked once and now aging with med toast
French oak stave. (harvested late August, 23 Brix and 0.7 TA,
inoculated with Rhone yeast at 55 F, raised to 73 F over 2 days (room
was warmer than I hoped for), then cooled to 65 F over 2 days. Took 8
days to ferment to completely dry)

The 4 gallons Zinfandel were just inoculated today with Pasteur Red
yeast (harvested this past Saturday, the day before the rains came....
settled for 22 Brix and 0.60 TA). Fermentation started at 63 F. Slowly
warming with 60W light bulb to get up to about 72 F by day 4. Wanting
this to be a long, slow ferment to retain fruitiness ... 1/3 whole berries.

Regards,
Gene
gene

sgbrix wrote:
> No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
> be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
> There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
> get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
> Where do you belong?
>
> SG Brix

Real Sauvignon Blanc and Zinfandel here in Sonoma County, California,
from local Russian River appellation grapes.

Both are from 2nd growth grapes, after the vineyard was commercially
harvested.

The 1.5 gallons Sauv Blanc is racked once and now aging with med toast
French oak stave. (harvested late August, 23 Brix and 0.7 TA,
inoculated with Rhone yeast at 55 F, raised to 73 F over 2 days (room
was warmer than I hoped for), then cooled to 65 F over 2 days. Took 8
days to ferment to completely dry)

The 4 gallons Zinfandel were just inoculated today with Pasteur Red
yeast (harvested this past Saturday, the day before the rains came....
settled for 22 Brix and 0.60 TA). Fermentation started at 63 F. Slowly
warming with 60W light bulb to get up to about 72 F by day 4. Wanting
this to be a long, slow ferment to retain fruitiness ... 1/3 whole berries.

Regards,
Gene

islander

Our fall fair here has several catagories... and does seperate them.

white from local fruit
red from local fruit
white from local grape
red from local grape
white from concentrate
red from concentrate
wine stewards downfall (can be anything) even fortified
ale
draft
dark ale
cider

Now for some of the off the wall ones I have tried... some with
success

Marigold good except the judge said that fortifying the wine take
away the flavour of the fruit.
Green tomato and red tomato..(both not bad.. the red tasted like
pizza)
radish...Yuck... so it sits in the celler. ageing in hopes...
dandilions always good
corn jack... corn wine -22% then frozen and rack off the slush.
Really yummy and potent as hell. got a 1st for this one.
Tropical a collection of leftover fruit from my daughters wedding.
*hate to see it go to waste.. not to bad. but no definite flavour
out front.
Pumpkin beer always good at tihis time of year.
Blackerry beer and blueberry beer.

last week started my first batch of hop mead. we shall see. I had
lots of hops ... and the honey was on sale.. couldn't resist.

cheers
Marv

On 18 Oct 2004 18:44:12 -0700, (sgbrix) wrote:

>No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
>be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
>There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
>get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
>Where do you belong?
>
>SG Brix

islander

Our fall fair here has several catagories... and does seperate them.

white from local fruit
red from local fruit
white from local grape
red from local grape
white from concentrate
red from concentrate
wine stewards downfall (can be anything) even fortified
ale
draft
dark ale
cider

Now for some of the off the wall ones I have tried... some with
success

Marigold good except the judge said that fortifying the wine take
away the flavour of the fruit.
Green tomato and red tomato..(both not bad.. the red tasted like
pizza)
radish...Yuck... so it sits in the celler. ageing in hopes...
dandilions always good
corn jack... corn wine -22% then frozen and rack off the slush.
Really yummy and potent as hell. got a 1st for this one.
Tropical a collection of leftover fruit from my daughters wedding.
*hate to see it go to waste.. not to bad. but no definite flavour
out front.
Pumpkin beer always good at tihis time of year.
Blackerry beer and blueberry beer.

last week started my first batch of hop mead. we shall see. I had
lots of hops ... and the honey was on sale.. couldn't resist.

cheers
Marv

On 18 Oct 2004 18:44:12 -0700, (sgbrix) wrote:

>No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
>be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>
>There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
>get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>
>Where do you belong?
>
>SG Brix

Bob

"J F" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jack Keller" > wrote in message
> > I make wine from whole grapes (my own, wild and from other people's
> > vines), from juice (usually a gift), from concentrates, from fruit,
> > vegetables, roots, flowers, bark, seeds, honey, berries, leaves,
> > stems, nuts, sap, and milk (coconut).

> How do you find space and time for so many different batches?

Wine is like laundry; it actually takes a long time to do it, but most
of that time it just sits brewing/washing. It's only the taking out and
putting in that actually is any work.

Bob

"J F" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jack Keller" > wrote in message
> > I make wine from whole grapes (my own, wild and from other people's
> > vines), from juice (usually a gift), from concentrates, from fruit,
> > vegetables, roots, flowers, bark, seeds, honey, berries, leaves,
> > stems, nuts, sap, and milk (coconut).

> How do you find space and time for so many different batches?

Wine is like laundry; it actually takes a long time to do it, but most
of that time it just sits brewing/washing. It's only the taking out and
putting in that actually is any work.

Bob

"MikeMTM" > wrote in message
> sgbrix ,
>

> I've just racked my home grown red off its gross lees. It's a field
> blend of Chelois, Chambourcin, NY 73, and Baco. I also have a field
> blended white, a blend of Traminette, Vignoles & St. Pepin. The size of
> the harvest was pitiable, so I'll probably make a few white kits & some
> country wines. Occasionally I'll get some Vinifera grapes from a friend
> who's a commercial grower/maker.
>
> I like the romance of growing & making wine from scratch, but if I
> can't, I'll do what I _must_ .

As penalty for that horrid pun, you =must= send me a bottle of each to:
Bob
27954-0021, USA :-)

> Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

Bob

"MikeMTM" > wrote in message
> sgbrix ,
>

> I've just racked my home grown red off its gross lees. It's a field
> blend of Chelois, Chambourcin, NY 73, and Baco. I also have a field
> blended white, a blend of Traminette, Vignoles & St. Pepin. The size of
> the harvest was pitiable, so I'll probably make a few white kits & some
> country wines. Occasionally I'll get some Vinifera grapes from a friend
> who's a commercial grower/maker.
>
> I like the romance of growing & making wine from scratch, but if I
> can't, I'll do what I _must_ .

As penalty for that horrid pun, you =must= send me a bottle of each to:
Bob
27954-0021, USA :-)

> Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

R-D-C

Hey!

Jack Kellar says no! what a jip. Now I will have to start of another 5
gallons ;-)

"Bob" > wrote in message
> "R-D-C" > wrote in message
>> Does my mead from jars of purchased honey count? ;-)

> It had damned well better count, or this redneck boy is gonna load his
> guns... <eg>
>>
>> "Tom" > wrote in message
>> > How about the all of the above category?
>> >
>> > I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley

> that
>> > allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have

> purchased
>> > must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
>> > source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK
>> > kit.
>> >
>> > If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my
>> > peach,
>> > strawberry and apple.
>> >
>> > Tom
>> > "sgbrix" > wrote in message
>> > om...

R-D-C

"Bob" > wrote in message
> "R-D-C" > wrote in message
>> Does my mead from jars of purchased honey count? ;-)

> It had damned well better count, or this redneck boy is gonna load his
> guns... <eg>
>>
>> "Tom" > wrote in message
>> > How about the all of the above category?
>> >
>> > I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley

> that
>> > allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have

> purchased
>> > must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
>> > source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK
>> > kit.
>> >
>> > If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my
>> > peach,
>> > strawberry and apple.
>> >
>> > Tom
>> > "sgbrix" > wrote in message
>> > om...

R-D-C

"Bob" > wrote in message
> "R-D-C" > wrote in message
>> Does my mead from jars of purchased honey count? ;-)

> It had damned well better count, or this redneck boy is gonna load his
> guns... <eg>
>>
>> "Tom" > wrote in message
>> > How about the all of the above category?
>> >
>> > I have a great relationship with a vineyard in the Willamette Valley

> that
>> > allows me to harvest, Reisling, Pinot Noir and Gewurtz. I have

> purchased
>> > must on occasion, primarily heavier reds that I have no direct vineyard
>> > source for. I also will fill out my choices with the occasional BK
>> > kit.
>> >
>> > If you consider country wines "real". Then you can also count my
>> > peach,
>> > strawberry and apple.
>> >
>> > Tom
>> > "sgbrix" > wrote in message
>> > om...

Bob

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> Hey!
>
> Jack Kellar says no! what a jip. Now I will have to start of another 5
> gallons ;-)

I've got five of apple/clove mead that is definitely going to give me a
Merry Christmas! :-)
And phooey on Jack Keller! He gets no mead from me!!! LOL!!!

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> > "R-D-C" > wrote in message
> >> Does my mead from jars of purchased honey count? ;-)

> > It had damned well better count, or this redneck boy is gonna load his
> > guns... <eg>

> > that

> > purchased

vineyard

would

Bob

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> Hey!
>
> Jack Kellar says no! what a jip. Now I will have to start of another 5
> gallons ;-)

I've got five of apple/clove mead that is definitely going to give me a
Merry Christmas! :-)
And phooey on Jack Keller! He gets no mead from me!!! LOL!!!

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> > "R-D-C" > wrote in message
> >> Does my mead from jars of purchased honey count? ;-)

> > It had damned well better count, or this redneck boy is gonna load his
> > guns... <eg>

> > that

> > purchased

vineyard

would

Bob

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> Hey!
>
> Jack Kellar says no! what a jip. Now I will have to start of another 5
> gallons ;-)

I've got five of apple/clove mead that is definitely going to give me a
Merry Christmas! :-)
And phooey on Jack Keller! He gets no mead from me!!! LOL!!!

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> > "R-D-C" > wrote in message
> >> Does my mead from jars of purchased honey count? ;-)

> > It had damned well better count, or this redneck boy is gonna load his
> > guns... <eg>

> > that

> > purchased

vineyard

would

STEPHEN PEEK

Sounds like you found a real treasure there, Spud. It's amazing what one can
learn & gain by spending a little time with an old-timer.
Steve
"spud" > wrote in message
> This is my first year making wine and have commited to bulk aging or
> bottles cranberry, orange, banana, prune, lilac, lavender, strawberry,
> grapefrit, cherry, blueberry, apple, peach, blackberry, jalapeno,
> pear, cantalope, concord grapes. In the freezer is more blackberry,
> and pumpkin, carrot, plum and rhubarb.
>
> Last month a very nice retired fellow with a hobby vineyard hung a
> small sign at the local store saying wine grapes were avaible in small
> batches to anyone with the enthusiasm to pick 'em. A phone number was
> provided. He had some interest....of sorts.
>
> One person called. There's 6 gal of Chenin Blanc, 4 gal of what he
> recalled was a Bavarian Gamay, 5 gal of Zin, and 5 gal of Cabernet
> Sav. in carboys in the garage.
>
> The gentleman is coming over for dinner this weekend. I've all ready
> made arrangements to learn/help with pruning, fertilizing, training
> etc. this winter if he can use the help. I don't know how to even
> begin to repay his kindness. His experience is really a treasure,
> talking wine and grapes with someone is a pleasure.
>
> I keep saying he has no idea what a wonderful ending to my first year
> of winemaking this is. He just chuckles and says it was a pretty good
> year for grapes.
>
> Steve
> Oregon
>

> On 18 Oct 2004 18:44:12 -0700, (sgbrix) wrote:
>
>>No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
>>be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>>
>>There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
>>get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>>
>>Where do you belong?
>>
>>SG Brix

STEPHEN PEEK

"spud" > wrote in message
> This is my first year making wine and have commited to bulk aging or
> bottles cranberry, orange, banana, prune, lilac, lavender, strawberry,
> grapefrit, cherry, blueberry, apple, peach, blackberry, jalapeno,
> pear, cantalope, concord grapes. In the freezer is more blackberry,
> and pumpkin, carrot, plum and rhubarb.
>
> Last month a very nice retired fellow with a hobby vineyard hung a
> small sign at the local store saying wine grapes were avaible in small
> batches to anyone with the enthusiasm to pick 'em. A phone number was
> provided. He had some interest....of sorts.
>
> One person called. There's 6 gal of Chenin Blanc, 4 gal of what he
> recalled was a Bavarian Gamay, 5 gal of Zin, and 5 gal of Cabernet
> Sav. in carboys in the garage.
>
> The gentleman is coming over for dinner this weekend. I've all ready
> made arrangements to learn/help with pruning, fertilizing, training
> etc. this winter if he can use the help. I don't know how to even
> begin to repay his kindness. His experience is really a treasure,
> talking wine and grapes with someone is a pleasure.
>
> I keep saying he has no idea what a wonderful ending to my first year
> of winemaking this is. He just chuckles and says it was a pretty good
> year for grapes.
>
> Steve
> Oregon
>

> On 18 Oct 2004 18:44:12 -0700, (sgbrix) wrote:
>
>>No offence. But at this time when the harvest is at its prime it would
>>be nice to know who is actually doing " real" wine.
>>
>>There is two groups. From juice buckets & from grapes. Where did you
>>get them from? How are you going about the processes?
>>
>>Where do you belong?
>>
>>SG Brix

Jack Keller

> How do you find space and time for so many different batches?

The batches are everywhere. At this very moment, I have 15 batches in
my computer room, 5 in the kitchen, 2 in my bedroom, and 15 in a spare
bedroom. Exactly 19 of them are 1-gallon batches and the rest are
carboys. As for time, you can afford to allow them to bulk age when
you have more than 8-10 batches going. I stir something almost every
night, either something in primary (I have 3 in primary right now) or
something aging on lees (I have 8). I rack on Wednesday nights (my
wife's quilting night) or on weekends, sometimes 10-12 wines in one
day. I bottle whenever I have room for new wines to be stored. Right
now I need to drink some space.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
Jack Keller

> How do you find space and time for so many different batches?

The batches are everywhere. At this very moment, I have 15 batches in
my computer room, 5 in the kitchen, 2 in my bedroom, and 15 in a spare
bedroom. Exactly 19 of them are 1-gallon batches and the rest are
carboys. As for time, you can afford to allow them to bulk age when
you have more than 8-10 batches going. I stir something almost every
night, either something in primary (I have 3 in primary right now) or
something aging on lees (I have 8). I rack on Wednesday nights (my
wife's quilting night) or on weekends, sometimes 10-12 wines in one
day. I bottle whenever I have room for new wines to be stored. Right
now I need to drink some space.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
spud

The gentleman has been making wine for over 20 years . After talking
with him I am always re-grounded in - taste -.

Numbers, tests, etc are good, but smell, taste, after all, is what
it's about. What a gas this is.

Steve Noobie
Oregon

>"STEPHEN PEEK" > wrote:
>Sounds like you found a real treasure there, Spud. It's amazing what one can
>learn & gain by spending a little time with an old-timer.
>Steve

spud

The gentleman has been making wine for over 20 years . After talking
with him I am always re-grounded in - taste -.

Numbers, tests, etc are good, but smell, taste, after all, is what
it's about. What a gas this is.

Steve Noobie
Oregon

>"STEPHEN PEEK" > wrote:
>Sounds like you found a real treasure there, Spud. It's amazing what one can
>learn & gain by spending a little time with an old-timer.
>Steve

Gourmandia - Real Food Website for Real People [email protected] General Cooking 3 22-12-2006 12:27 PM
FS: Real Bicycle Seats for Real People! [email protected] Marketplace 0 22-02-2006 10:30 PM
Real Wine Sheldon General Cooking 0 19-08-2005 02:13 AM
Pairing food with wine- the real way! [email protected] Wine 0 02-03-2005 11:35 PM
1972, what's the real wine to buy? Vilco Wine 14 29-06-2004 03:04 AM