sgbrix

gene > wrote in message .com>...

---snip
> Both are from 2nd growth grapes, after the vineyard was commercially
> harvested.

Lucky you, I bet you did not even have to pay to pick these grapes.
Last year I spent a day picking old 2nd groth Zin in Lodi that is
still in barrel at a friend out there.. Did not have time this year.

> The 4 gallons Zinfandel were just inoculated today with Pasteur Red
> yeast (harvested this past Saturday, the day before the rains came....
> settled for 22 Brix and 0.60 TA). Fermentation started at 63 F. Slowly
> warming with 60W light bulb to get up to about 72 F by day 4. Wanting
> this to be a long, slow ferment to retain fruitiness ... 1/3 whole berries.

This sounds great, I just wonder about using Pasteur Red? Their
optimum is listed as 64-86f, could you not get fresh strains from
someone?
sgbrix

gene > wrote in message .com>...

---snip
> Both are from 2nd growth grapes, after the vineyard was commercially
> harvested.

Lucky you, I bet you did not even have to pay to pick these grapes.
Last year I spent a day picking old 2nd groth Zin in Lodi that is
still in barrel at a friend out there.. Did not have time this year.

> The 4 gallons Zinfandel were just inoculated today with Pasteur Red
> yeast (harvested this past Saturday, the day before the rains came....
> settled for 22 Brix and 0.60 TA). Fermentation started at 63 F. Slowly
> warming with 60W light bulb to get up to about 72 F by day 4. Wanting
> this to be a long, slow ferment to retain fruitiness ... 1/3 whole berries.

This sounds great, I just wonder about using Pasteur Red? Their
optimum is listed as 64-86f, could you not get fresh strains from
someone?
Jack Keller

> So if I get this right, your home is a living cellar? I hate to see
> your AC bill. Do you get it down much past 60f?

My wife has something to say about the thermostat and the wines just
have to adjust. But it works....

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Jack Keller

> So if I get this right, your home is a living cellar? I hate to see
> your AC bill. Do you get it down much past 60f?

My wife has something to say about the thermostat and the wines just
have to adjust. But it works....

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

> The size of the harvest was pitiable, so I'll probably make
> a few white kits & some country wines.

Hi Mike,

I wondered how you did this year with the dreadful NJ weather. My
original nine vines are now twenty, with Vignoles ending their 2nd
growth season and the rest (Leon Millot & Cab Franc) just ending their
1st.

As for "real" wines, I agree with all the folks that believe all their
wines are real! I sourced Syrah, Grenache, and Viognier from Central
Valley fruit and those are my from-scratch grape wines this year. In
addition, there's cyser from local apple cider, marionberry from
Trader Joe's frozen, and red tomato from the farm down the street
(yes, in New Jersey!).

Cheers -
Roger
Quinta do Placer

> The size of the harvest was pitiable, so I'll probably make
> a few white kits & some country wines.

Hi Mike,

I wondered how you did this year with the dreadful NJ weather. My
original nine vines are now twenty, with Vignoles ending their 2nd
growth season and the rest (Leon Millot & Cab Franc) just ending their
1st.

As for "real" wines, I agree with all the folks that believe all their
wines are real! I sourced Syrah, Grenache, and Viognier from Central
Valley fruit and those are my from-scratch grape wines this year. In
addition, there's cyser from local apple cider, marionberry from
Trader Joe's frozen, and red tomato from the farm down the street
(yes, in New Jersey!).

Cheers -
Roger
Quinta do Placer
gene

sgbrix wrote:
> gene > wrote in message .com>...
>
> ---snip
>
>>Both are from 2nd growth grapes, after the vineyard was commercially
>>harvested.

> Lucky you, I bet you did not even have to pay to pick these grapes.
> Last year I spent a day picking old 2nd groth Zin in Lodi that is
> still in barrel at a friend out there.. Did not have time this year.

With the major bunch sorting I had to do, not sure 'free' zin grapes was
worth the cost (LOLOL). Next year I'm going to buy prime grapes.

>>The 4 gallons Zinfandel were just inoculated today with Pasteur Red
>>yeast (harvested this past Saturday, the day before the rains came....
>>settled for 22 Brix and 0.60 TA). Fermentation started at 63 F. Slowly
>>warming with 60W light bulb to get up to about 72 F by day 4. Wanting
>>this to be a long, slow ferment to retain fruitiness ... 1/3 whole berries.

> This sounds great, I just wonder about using Pasteur Red? Their
> optimum is listed as 64-86f, could you not get fresh strains from
> someone?

This is my first time trying Pasteur Red. It's reported to be good for
retaining varietal fruit flavors and good with grapes picked early. At
22 Brix those zin fit the bill of 'an early pick'.
What yeast would you recommend for next year?

Gene
gene

sgbrix wrote:
> gene > wrote in message .com>...
>
> ---snip
>
>>Both are from 2nd growth grapes, after the vineyard was commercially
>>harvested.

> Lucky you, I bet you did not even have to pay to pick these grapes.
> Last year I spent a day picking old 2nd groth Zin in Lodi that is
> still in barrel at a friend out there.. Did not have time this year.

With the major bunch sorting I had to do, not sure 'free' zin grapes was
worth the cost (LOLOL). Next year I'm going to buy prime grapes.

>>The 4 gallons Zinfandel were just inoculated today with Pasteur Red
>>yeast (harvested this past Saturday, the day before the rains came....
>>settled for 22 Brix and 0.60 TA). Fermentation started at 63 F. Slowly
>>warming with 60W light bulb to get up to about 72 F by day 4. Wanting
>>this to be a long, slow ferment to retain fruitiness ... 1/3 whole berries.

> This sounds great, I just wonder about using Pasteur Red? Their
> optimum is listed as 64-86f, could you not get fresh strains from
> someone?

This is my first time trying Pasteur Red. It's reported to be good for
retaining varietal fruit flavors and good with grapes picked early. At
22 Brix those zin fit the bill of 'an early pick'.
What yeast would you recommend for next year?

Gene

Gourmandia - Real Food Website for Real People [email protected] General Cooking 3 22-12-2006 01:27 PM
FS: Real Bicycle Seats for Real People! [email protected] Marketplace 0 22-02-2006 11:30 PM
Real Wine Sheldon General Cooking 0 19-08-2005 02:13 AM
Pairing food with wine- the real way! [email protected] Wine 0 03-03-2005 12:35 AM
1972, what's the real wine to buy? Vilco Wine 14 29-06-2004 03:04 AM