Darren George

Default Wine from Syrups

Hi

Haven't posted here in ages, but I've gotten back into winemaking
(after a year of putrid attempts followed by several years of
inactivity). But time to rejoin the discussion.

Has anyone else tried making wine from concentrated fruit syrups? The
kind that are meant to be diluted and drank with water, or poured on
ice cream or whatever?

I made a rather nice batch of elderflower once from IKEA concentrate-
a very delicate flavour, but a bit insipid (and extremely slow to
ferment). Not sure what one could add for more body without
overpowering the elderflower flavour- certianly not raisins.

I also tried blackberry; this was also slow to ferment, and nearly all
the colour (and most of the flavour) precipitated out during
fermentation. Very disappointing.

Anyone try anything similar? Grenadine, perhaps?
---The Mad Alchemist---
http://www.mad-alchemy.com
Email sent to the above address, unless clearly marked
as wine or heraldry, will be deleted unread.
evilpaul13

I've made a wine with blackberry jam before, dunno who it turned out
yet it's not yet a year old so I haven't tried it yet.

I'd recommend adding yeast nutrient (diammonia phosphate and urea) and
yeast energizer (it's yellow/orange, probably mostly just vitamin B
complex) to get things that are low in nutrients (basically any
non-grape wines, or low in malt beers).

The guys and gals here suggest adding bananas to add body without
adding much flavor.

Darren George > wrote in message >. ..
> Hi
>
> Haven't posted here in ages, but I've gotten back into winemaking
> (after a year of putrid attempts followed by several years of
> inactivity). But time to rejoin the discussion.
>
> Has anyone else tried making wine from concentrated fruit syrups? The
> kind that are meant to be diluted and drank with water, or poured on
> ice cream or whatever?
>
> I made a rather nice batch of elderflower once from IKEA concentrate-
> a very delicate flavour, but a bit insipid (and extremely slow to
> ferment). Not sure what one could add for more body without
> overpowering the elderflower flavour- certianly not raisins.
>
> I also tried blackberry; this was also slow to ferment, and nearly all
> the colour (and most of the flavour) precipitated out during
> fermentation. Very disappointing.
>
> Anyone try anything similar? Grenadine, perhaps?
> ---The Mad Alchemist---
> http://www.mad-alchemy.com
> Email sent to the above address, unless clearly marked
> as wine or heraldry, will be deleted unread.

evilpaul13

I've made a wine with blackberry jam before, dunno who it turned out
yet it's not yet a year old so I haven't tried it yet.

I'd recommend adding yeast nutrient (diammonia phosphate and urea) and
yeast energizer (it's yellow/orange, probably mostly just vitamin B
complex) to get things that are low in nutrients (basically any
non-grape wines, or low in malt beers).

The guys and gals here suggest adding bananas to add body without
adding much flavor.

Darren George > wrote in message >. ..
> Hi
>
> Haven't posted here in ages, but I've gotten back into winemaking
> (after a year of putrid attempts followed by several years of
> inactivity). But time to rejoin the discussion.
>
> Has anyone else tried making wine from concentrated fruit syrups? The
> kind that are meant to be diluted and drank with water, or poured on
> ice cream or whatever?
>
> I made a rather nice batch of elderflower once from IKEA concentrate-
> a very delicate flavour, but a bit insipid (and extremely slow to
> ferment). Not sure what one could add for more body without
> overpowering the elderflower flavour- certianly not raisins.
>
> I also tried blackberry; this was also slow to ferment, and nearly all
> the colour (and most of the flavour) precipitated out during
> fermentation. Very disappointing.
>
> Anyone try anything similar? Grenadine, perhaps?
> ---The Mad Alchemist---
> http://www.mad-alchemy.com
> Email sent to the above address, unless clearly marked
> as wine or heraldry, will be deleted unread.

Charles H

> >The guys and gals here suggest adding bananas to add body without
> >adding much flavor.

This could be the ticket you need.

I've made exceptional wines from syrups and the base fruit. I had an
amazing blackcurrant wine I made with syrup and some canned
blackcurrants.

Blueberry syrup + dried blueberries are also on my list to try this
winter, as fun little side projects.
Charles H

> >The guys and gals here suggest adding bananas to add body without
> >adding much flavor.

This could be the ticket you need.

I've made exceptional wines from syrups and the base fruit. I had an
amazing blackcurrant wine I made with syrup and some canned
blackcurrants.

Blueberry syrup + dried blueberries are also on my list to try this
winter, as fun little side projects.
World'sWorst

I use a lot of syrups - Ribena is a good one! Make sure that you boil away
the sulphite that's used in a lot of them for preserving the product as this
will hinder or even stop fermentation before it's finished.
"Darren George" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Haven't posted here in ages, but I've gotten back into winemaking
> (after a year of putrid attempts followed by several years of
> inactivity). But time to rejoin the discussion.
>
> Has anyone else tried making wine from concentrated fruit syrups? The
> kind that are meant to be diluted and drank with water, or poured on
> ice cream or whatever?
>
> I made a rather nice batch of elderflower once from IKEA concentrate-
> a very delicate flavour, but a bit insipid (and extremely slow to
> ferment). Not sure what one could add for more body without
> overpowering the elderflower flavour- certianly not raisins.
>
> I also tried blackberry; this was also slow to ferment, and nearly all
> the colour (and most of the flavour) precipitated out during
> fermentation. Very disappointing.
>
> Anyone try anything similar? Grenadine, perhaps?
> ---The Mad Alchemist---
> http://www.mad-alchemy.com
> Email sent to the above address, unless clearly marked
> as wine or heraldry, will be deleted unread.

Charles H

"World'sWorst" > wrote in message >...
> I use a lot of syrups - Ribena is a good one! Make sure that you boil away
> the sulphite that's used in a lot of them for preserving the product as this
> will hinder or even stop fermentation before it's finished.

I've never boiled any of my syrup wines, and never had problems. Most
wine wine yests are tolerant of sulphites as it is.

cheers,
charles

Charles H

"World'sWorst" > wrote in message >...
> I use a lot of syrups - Ribena is a good one! Make sure that you boil away
> the sulphite that's used in a lot of them for preserving the product as this
> will hinder or even stop fermentation before it's finished.

I've never boiled any of my syrup wines, and never had problems. Most
wine wine yests are tolerant of sulphites as it is.

cheers,
charles
World'sWorst

Well, good for you, Charles - you are obviously someone who has other more
serious problems!
"Charles H" > wrote in message
om...
> "World'sWorst" > wrote in message

> > I use a lot of syrups - Ribena is a good one! Make sure that you boil

away
> > the sulphite that's used in a lot of them for preserving the product as

this
> > will hinder or even stop fermentation before it's finished.

> I've never boiled any of my syrup wines, and never had problems. Most
> wine wine yests are tolerant of sulphites as it is.
>
> cheers,
> charles

World'sWorst

Well, good for you, Charles - you are obviously someone who has other more
serious problems!
"Charles H" > wrote in message
om...
> "World'sWorst" > wrote in message

> > I use a lot of syrups - Ribena is a good one! Make sure that you boil

away
> > the sulphite that's used in a lot of them for preserving the product as

this
> > will hinder or even stop fermentation before it's finished.

> I've never boiled any of my syrup wines, and never had problems. Most
> wine wine yests are tolerant of sulphites as it is.
>
> cheers,
> charles

World'sWorst

Ribena is blackcurrent - give that one a go at about 500ml per gallon -
maybe a litre or two of apple or grape juice and about two pounds of honey
to bring it up to the desired SG level. In my opinion, it makes a nice
sweet desert wine because it's high in acidity.

> wrote in message
> where can i buy black currents or the syrup to make about 5
> gallons of mead. i can't locate any inside the US.
> any help is appreciated, thanks!
>
> On 23 Oct 2004 09:11:51 -0700,
> (Charles H) wrote:
>
> >"World'sWorst" > wrote in message

> >> I use a lot of syrups - Ribena is a good one! Make sure that you boil

away
> >> the sulphite that's used in a lot of them for preserving the product as

this
> >> will hinder or even stop fermentation before it's finished.

> >I've never boiled any of my syrup wines, and never had problems. Most
> >wine wine yests are tolerant of sulphites as it is.
> >
> >cheers,
> >charles

World'sWorst

Ribena is blackcurrent - give that one a go at about 500ml per gallon -
maybe a litre or two of apple or grape juice and about two pounds of honey
to bring it up to the desired SG level. In my opinion, it makes a nice
sweet desert wine because it's high in acidity.

> wrote in message
> where can i buy black currents or the syrup to make about 5
> gallons of mead. i can't locate any inside the US.
> any help is appreciated, thanks!
>
> On 23 Oct 2004 09:11:51 -0700,
> (Charles H) wrote:
>
> >"World'sWorst" > wrote in message

> >> I use a lot of syrups - Ribena is a good one! Make sure that you boil

away
> >> the sulphite that's used in a lot of them for preserving the product as

this
> >> will hinder or even stop fermentation before it's finished.

> >I've never boiled any of my syrup wines, and never had problems. Most
> >wine wine yests are tolerant of sulphites as it is.
> >
> >cheers,
> >charles

Sugar Free Torani syrups DonOple0pa0ad Diabetic 3 20-09-2013 05:47 PM
rice syrups Forbeo General Cooking 6 30-08-2007 07:58 PM
glycemic index of syrups? Kent Diabetic 7 14-04-2007 02:07 AM
Syrups Jarkat2002 General Cooking 2 09-12-2004 08:18 PM
Keeping simple syrups Nexis General Cooking 4 03-07-2004 08:47 AM