Dar V

Gus,
I'm glad it came out so tasty for you. Congrats. I will check it out.
Darlene

"gus" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Darlene/all,
>
> I just bottled a pumpkin wine.
>
> I shredded/grated the pumpkin in an electrice food processor last
> October and froze it until February. I didn't do this for the reasons
> you list... I did it cause I didn't have time to get to the winemaking
> until then.
>
> Anyway, the wine turned out great! I've gotten tons of good response
> from the people that have tasted it and demand is definitely outpacing
> supply. I only made 3 gallons. I'm doing 6 gallons this year!
>
> Check out my website to see a pictorial diary of my the process I
> used.
>
> http://www.guscalandrino.com/stories...in/pumpkin.htm
>
> Good luck,
> Gus Calandrino
>

> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> Hoss,
>> Sounds like a good plan to me. Could you please let us know how things
>> go?
>> I'm going to shred & freeze my pumpkin too, and it would be nice to
>> compare
>> notes. Good-luck.
>> Darlene
>>
>> "Hoss" > wrote in message
>> > OK, This whole thread gets me thinking. I know I can get the pie
>> > pumpkins now... But Grape season is around the corner here and I'll
>> > likely get some for the best price possible... Free!
>> >
>> > But, I think I will get the pumpkins and shred them and then freeze
>> > them. this should bring out the best surface area for sugar
>> > fermentation and the freezing should help break the flesh down even
>> > more by maceration. Based on past experiences by you talented folks,
>> > I think I'll give this a try. If nothing else, I can have all the
>> > pumpkin I want/need ready to go for various batches of wine or for a
>> > massive single batch around thanksgiving time.
>> >
>> > I will likely be using my food processor to grate the pumpkin, but I
>> > also recently got the attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer. I got the
>> > grinder/slicer/juicer 3-pack on ebay for a good price. I may try
>> > both, but the speed and quickness of cleaning of the Cuisinart food
>> > processor will likely provide the quickest results.
>> >
>> > If I get enthusiastic enough, I may take pictures and link them to my
>> > image hosting site with notes into the group. I know that right now,
>> > I am asking more than helping, but I can't wait until I can help
>> > others out in the same way that YOU have all helped me.
>> >
>> > I am glad to be a part of such a fantastic group of experienced
>> > knowledgeable people. thanks again and happy fermenting.
>> >
>> > Greg, Erie, PA.

Eric Bisaillon

Hi Gus,

Great diary... Exactly what I was looking for, I'm still new to the whole
winemaking process and I wanted to give Pumpkin wine a try :-)

One question, can you tell me where you bought your straining bag ?

If any of you are interrested, I took a few pics of my batch of strawberry
wine and posted them here http://www.codeur.net I have yet to put newer
ones...

Thanks,
Eric

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Gus,
> I'm glad it came out so tasty for you. Congrats. I will check it out.
> Darlene
>
> "gus" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Hi Darlene/all,
>>
>> I just bottled a pumpkin wine.
>>
>> I shredded/grated the pumpkin in an electrice food processor last
>> October and froze it until February. I didn't do this for the reasons
>> you list... I did it cause I didn't have time to get to the winemaking
>> until then.
>>
>> Anyway, the wine turned out great! I've gotten tons of good response
>> from the people that have tasted it and demand is definitely outpacing
>> supply. I only made 3 gallons. I'm doing 6 gallons this year!
>>
>> Check out my website to see a pictorial diary of my the process I
>> used.
>>
>> http://www.guscalandrino.com/stories...in/pumpkin.htm
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Gus Calandrino
>>

>> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>>> Hoss,
>>> Sounds like a good plan to me. Could you please let us know how things
>>> go?
>>> I'm going to shred & freeze my pumpkin too, and it would be nice to
>>> compare
>>> notes. Good-luck.
>>> Darlene

gus

Eric,

I bought it at "Grape and Granary" website. I've included a link but
not sure if it will translate ok.

http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,8512.html

Best,
Gus

"Eric Bisaillon" > wrote in message >...
> Hi Gus,
>
> Great diary... Exactly what I was looking for, I'm still new to the whole
> winemaking process and I wanted to give Pumpkin wine a try :-)
>
> One question, can you tell me where you bought your straining bag ?
>
> If any of you are interrested, I took a few pics of my batch of strawberry
> wine and posted them here http://www.codeur.net I have yet to put newer
> ones...
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

MikeMTM

Eric Bisaillon wrote:

> One question, can you tell me where you bought your straining bag ?

Eric, Any paint or hardware store will have nylon paint straining bags
in 1 and 5 gallon sizes. Quick, available and cheap, and they last for
years.
--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

Hoss

Gus/Darlene/All

I mentioned that I was going to freeze the shredded pumpkin then make
the wine. Well, my grapes either all froze and fell or the deer got
them all. SO.. better tending next year.

That means I didn't freeze and I got impatient. I basically tripled
the recipe on Jack's website to make 3 gallons. I bought the pie
pumpkins for 50 cents each, got 16 of them. I only used 5 for my 3
gallon batch, about 15 lbs of shredded pumpkin. 11 left. I suspect
that I want to make 2 more 3 gallon batches. One from Gus's recipe,
with which I WILL freeze the shredded pumpkin, and one I may try the
oven drying trick. I want to try the drying routine to see if it cuts
down on the cloudiness and amount of sediments. It fermented dry,
down to .992, but was still going when it went to secondary. I rack
for the second time this weekend.

Here are a few pics of what I have so far.

the must (about 4-1/2 gallons in primary

http://www.iownjoo.com/regimghost/mi...umpkinmust.jpg

I stirred this several times a day because I had the same problem with
the cap.

http://www.iownjoo.com/regimghost/mi.../afterstir.jpg

The jelling stuff on top. Would this mean i should have added more
pectic enzyme? Sometimes it was 3 or 4 inches thick.

http://www.iownjoo.com/regimghost/mi...urntojelly.jpg

All of the cloudiness, thickness and the lees.

http://www.iownjoo.com/regimghost/mi...ondarylees.jpg

The jelly stuff propogated to the top in secondary too. I scooped out
what I could and topped off from the small bottle.

http://www.iownjoo.com/regimghost/mi...ndaryjelly.jpg

And two that follow are only partly related.
four different kinds of pumpkin seeds.
Garlic, sweet and spicy, ranch, Emeril's Essence flavor

http://www.iownjoo.com/regimghost/middleman/4kinds.jpg

And since I'm about as much of a comedian as I can be, here's this
little tidbit.

http://www.iownjoo.com/regimghost/mi...fulleffect.jpg

Greg, Erie.

On 13 Oct 2004 12:37:01 -0700, (gus) wrote:

>Hi Darlene/all,
>
>I just bottled a pumpkin wine.
>
>I shredded/grated the pumpkin in an electrice food processor last
>October and froze it until February. I didn't do this for the reasons
>you list... I did it cause I didn't have time to get to the winemaking
>until then.
>
>Anyway, the wine turned out great! I've gotten tons of good response
>from the people that have tasted it and demand is definitely outpacing
>supply. I only made 3 gallons. I'm doing 6 gallons this year!
>
>Check out my website to see a pictorial diary of my the process I
>used.

http://www.guscalandrino.com/stories...in/pumpkin.htm

>Good luck,
>Gus Calandrino
>

>"Dar V" > wrote in message >...
>> Hoss,
>> Sounds like a good plan to me. Could you please let us know how things go?
>> I'm going to shred & freeze my pumpkin too, and it would be nice to compare
>> notes. Good-luck.
>> Darlene
>>
>> "Hoss" > wrote in message
>> > OK, This whole thread gets me thinking. I know I can get the pie
>> > pumpkins now... But Grape season is around the corner here and I'll
>> > likely get some for the best price possible... Free!
>> >
>> > But, I think I will get the pumpkins and shred them and then freeze
>> > them. this should bring out the best surface area for sugar
>> > fermentation and the freezing should help break the flesh down even
>> > more by maceration. Based on past experiences by you talented folks,
>> > I think I'll give this a try. If nothing else, I can have all the
>> > pumpkin I want/need ready to go for various batches of wine or for a
>> > massive single batch around thanksgiving time.
>> >
>> > I will likely be using my food processor to grate the pumpkin, but I
>> > also recently got the attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer. I got the
>> > grinder/slicer/juicer 3-pack on ebay for a good price. I may try
>> > both, but the speed and quickness of cleaning of the Cuisinart food
>> > processor will likely provide the quickest results.
>> >
>> > If I get enthusiastic enough, I may take pictures and link them to my
>> > image hosting site with notes into the group. I know that right now,
>> > I am asking more than helping, but I can't wait until I can help
>> > others out in the same way that YOU have all helped me.
>> >
>> > I am glad to be a part of such a fantastic group of experienced
>> > knowledgeable people. thanks again and happy fermenting.
>> >
>> > Greg, Erie, PA.

gus

Greg,

Keep us posted w/pics.

Did you strain your must w/a straining bag? It seems like you've got a
lot of stuff suspended in your must?

gus

Hoss > wrote in message >. ..
> [...]
> >October and froze it until February. I didn't do this for the reasons
> >you list... I did it cause I didn't have time to get to the winemaking
> >until then.
> >
> >Anyway, the wine turned out great! I've gotten tons of good response
> >from the people that have tasted it and demand is definitely outpacing
> >supply. I only made 3 gallons. I'm doing 6 gallons this year!
> >
> >Check out my website to see a pictorial diary of my the process I
> >used.

http://www.guscalandrino.com/stories...in/pumpkin.htm

> >Good luck,
> >Gus Calandrino
> >

> >"Dar V" > wrote in message >...
> >> Hoss,
> >> Sounds like a good plan to me. Could you please let us know how things go?
> >> I'm going to shred & freeze my pumpkin too, and it would be nice to compare

gus

Hoss > wrote in message >. ..
> [...]
> >October and froze it until February. I didn't do this for the reasons
> >you list... I did it cause I didn't have time to get to the winemaking
> >until then.
> >
> >Anyway, the wine turned out great! I've gotten tons of good response
> >from the people that have tasted it and demand is definitely outpacing
> >supply. I only made 3 gallons. I'm doing 6 gallons this year!
> >
> >Check out my website to see a pictorial diary of my the process I
> >used.

http://www.guscalandrino.com/stories...in/pumpkin.htm

> >Good luck,
> >Gus Calandrino
> >

> >"Dar V" > wrote in message >...
> >> Hoss,
> >> Sounds like a good plan to me. Could you please let us know how things go?
> >> I'm going to shred & freeze my pumpkin too, and it would be nice to compare

Dar V

Greg,
lol - Enjoyed the pics and the info. I'm days away of starting my own batch
of pumpkin from stuff I shredded a month ago. Could you tell me how much
sugar you used per gallon? and what your starting SG was? I want to avoid
rocket fuel, and Jack thinks the shredded pumpkin will require less sugar,
because the pumpkin is more exposed (& the sugar in the pumpkin will seep
out better)when it is shredded. Thanks.
Darlene

om...