FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   dandelion wine allergy?? (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/33694-re-dandelion-wine-allergy.html)

Dar V 07-09-2004 02:58 PM

dandelion wine allergy??

Hello,
My wine tasting get-together provided a bit more input than we all thought.
My friend Barb has allergies to outdoor pollens...anyway, she had a small
glass of my dandelion wine, and about 30 minutes later she was sneezing and
such. She has had my other wines before with no ill effects. Needless we
cut her off and she was better in a bit. Has anyone else run into this? or
are we just plain wrong to think this?
Curious in Wisconsin,
Darlene

Ray Calvert 07-09-2004 03:57 PM

Amazing, I don't think pollens should have made it into the wine if it was
clear. I don't doubt that the reaction is real but I wander what it was
that she was reacting too?

Ray

Dar V 07-09-2004 05:36 PM

Ray,
Good thought; the wine was clear though. I thought it might be the
sulfites, but like I said, she has had my other wines before without having
a reaction. Now, all my windows were open in my house, maybe the breeze
brought something in which she had a reaction too. I was just wondering,
because she did ask me before I opened the bottle and passed it around. I
told her I didn't know, but she was brave and tried it anyway. After she
started sneezing though, we didn't let her have anymore, and we did move on
to another bottle - cherry I think. Who knows...?
Darlene

m...

Jack Keller 07-09-2004 10:00 PM

Darlene, there are at least three possibilities. (1) Dandelion pollen
got into the wine and she had a reaction to it. I have never, ever
heard of an allergy to dandelions or their pollen, but admit it is
possible. (2) She had a reaction to something else in the environment
and the dandelion took the rap. (3) She knew it was dandelion wine
and had a hypochondrical reaction. One of my sister-in-laws had a
similar reaction to a crabapple wine after my brother told her it was
white clover wine. He was trying to prove to her that many of her
so-called "allergy attacks" were self-induced. He proved his point,
but she is unforgiving to a fault and he has been living in the dog
house ever since. Moral of this story: do not make a fool of your
spouse if you do not want to live with a fool.

I honestly have difficulty believing your friend's reaction had
anything to do with the dandelions, but I have been wrong before.

How does she react to mead? There is potentially far more pollen in
mead than dandelion wine, but there should be none in either if the
wine was racked a few times and brilliantly clear when bottled.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Ray Calvert 07-09-2004 10:06 PM

Actually, I was not questioning whether she was showing allergy to the wine.
From what you described, it certainly sounded like the wine. My wife has
all sorts of food allergies (bannana, avacado, breen beans, ...)
Fortunately she has not reacted to any of my wines. I would not recomend
this this to anyone else but if it was me I would test myself by scraching
my arm and then rubbing some of the offending wine into it to see if I
reacted. But frome my understanding, food allergies usually cause
something like hives or throat constriction rather than sneezing.

Ray

Dar V 07-09-2004 11:26 PM

That's an interesting idea, although I don't know that she'll want to do
that. I know I'll never give her a bottle of Dandelion Wine...but it is
interesting. Since this was really my first tasting-my-wine get-togethers,
I was just curious what you thought about it. Thanks.
Darlene

"Ray Calvert" wrote in message
. com...
Actually, I was not questioning whether she was showing allergy to the
wine. From what you described, it certainly sounded like the wine. My
wife has all sorts of food allergies (bannana, avacado, breen beans, ...)