Droopy

Default Walnut leaf wine body

I am planning on makeing a walnut leaf wine using the recipie from
Jack Keller's site. The question I have is will this wine have a thin
body? I am concerned because the recipie looks basically like a sugar
wash with leaves for flavor.

What would you think gives the wine body? The main sugar source is
demerara (raw cane) sugar, which is not availibe here. I was goig to
substitute "sugar in the raw", or if I can find it turbinado sugar,
for this. In addition there is a lb of honey per gallon.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Stephen SG

Message in your messenger "yahoo"

Stephen Sg

"Droopy" > wrote in message
om...
| I am planning on makeing a walnut leaf wine using the recipie from
| Jack Keller's site. The question I have is will this wine have a thin
| body? I am concerned because the recipie looks basically like a sugar
| wash with leaves for flavor.
|
| What would you think gives the wine body? The main sugar source is
| demerara (raw cane) sugar, which is not availibe here. I was goig to
| substitute "sugar in the raw", or if I can find it turbinado sugar,
| for this. In addition there is a lb of honey per gallon.
|
| Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Stephen SG

Message in your messenger "yahoo"

Stephen Sg

"Droopy" > wrote in message
om...
| I am planning on makeing a walnut leaf wine using the recipie from
| Jack Keller's site. The question I have is will this wine have a thin
| body? I am concerned because the recipie looks basically like a sugar
| wash with leaves for flavor.
|
| What would you think gives the wine body? The main sugar source is
| demerara (raw cane) sugar, which is not availibe here. I was goig to
| substitute "sugar in the raw", or if I can find it turbinado sugar,
| for this. In addition there is a lb of honey per gallon.
|
| Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

MikeMTM

Droopy,
I made this wine a few years back, and it did at first seem thin &
harsh. I used about 40 _leaflets_ per gallon, as a reference point. My
early notes suggest that that was too many, but it later mellowed out
considerably. About 1/3 of the sugar content was from honey. But here's
the real secret: I found that a half-filled bottle left in the fridge
for 2 mos. turned a light brown and developed the most remarkable walnut
finish on tasting. Not just an oxidized taste, but a real Black Walnut
taste. The pale yellow version was nothing to rave about, but the brown
version was quite interesting.

--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

Jack Keller

Droopy, I had not made this wine when I posted the recipe four years
ago, but have since then. It is indeed a thinner wine than most, but
also a sweet wine and sugar adds a little body to it. You can add a
little glycerin to it to help thicken it a bit, but I would not
over-do it. One tablespoon per gallon should be plenty. I would not
add grape concentrate to this (or oak leaf wine) unless you really
want to make a different wine.

My walnut leaf wine was not very good until it had aged about 16
months -- 10 months longer than the recipe suggests. It was quite
nice at that point, and no thinner than most Japanese Sake. It is not
a wine for everyone (but neither is sand burr nor bramble tips nor
acorn wines), but worth making for the variety. Make it and cellar it
for 16-18 months. I don't think you will enjoy it all that much
before then.

As for the sugar, demerara is getting hard to find. I only know two
stores in San Antonio, a city of over a million folks, that still
carry it. Turbinado and "Sugar in the Raw" are much easier to find
and could substitute, but neither has quite the same taste as
demerara. Indeed, I think demerara is unmatched in flavor. I just
wish it wasn't so expensive and was more available. But, if you have
to substitute, I'd go for one of the others (NOT brown sugar, or white
sugar with molasses).

Good luck....

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

So, how did the Walnut Leaf wine turn out? I'm thinking of trying it!
Thanks

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/winemaki...ody-27679-.htm