Simtrade

Default crabapple wine sweetening

Hi there,

I'm planning on bottling a (5 gallon) crabapple wine that I made last summer
and has been aging bulk in the carboy for about 9 months.

I have no experience with balancing or tasting wines, but I know that this
stuff is acidic. Is there a rough SG I should aim for when sweetening this
stuff, or do I have to go "by taste" (of which I haven't much idea what it
should or shouldn't taste like).

TIA
Simon

P.S. I had a gallon of banana wine that I was going to use to blend with
the crabapple, but when I pulled the carboys upstairs I noticed the airlock
had mold in it, and there is a layer of something floating on the top of the
wine. I probably wont risk contaminating the 5 gallons of crabapple with
this stuff. Anyone had this happen to them? Also, the banana wine smells
more like hard liquor than wine.