reply@grouponly

Default How do I know I'm not making Vinegar ? (Newbie Asks)

Greetings,

My first post. I bought a good kit and the owners are helpful
and I'm sure could answer this question. Thought I'd post it here
to intro myself for the future.

Howdy, I'm Andrew from Fairfax, VA. I'm making my 1st attempt
to make some wine. No jury-rigged stuff. All store-bought. I'm only
on day 3 of Primary Fermentation. Plastic Air-lock merrily bubbling
away. Aroma of the CO2 was at first yeasty - like the homemade
bread I already make. Now it's more "winey/vinegary" smelling.
How do I know I'm not making vinegar instead ?
I don't know how to make vinegar anyway. ( I hope !)

TIA,

Andrew
Lum

<reply@grouponly> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> My first post. I bought a good kit and the owners are helpful
> and I'm sure could answer this question. Thought I'd post it here
> to intro myself for the future.
>
> Howdy, I'm Andrew from Fairfax, VA. I'm making my 1st attempt
> to make some wine. No jury-rigged stuff. All store-bought. I'm only
> on day 3 of Primary Fermentation. Plastic Air-lock merrily bubbling
> away. Aroma of the CO2 was at first yeasty - like the homemade
> bread I already make. Now it's more "winey/vinegary" smelling.
> How do I know I'm not making vinegar instead ?
> I don't know how to make vinegar anyway. ( I hope !)
>
> TIA,
>
> Andrew

Welcome to the group Andrew.
You will find some information here http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/
If you download the book, you can use the search function in your word
processor.
Good luck with your wine,
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Lum

<reply@grouponly> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> My first post. I bought a good kit and the owners are helpful
> and I'm sure could answer this question. Thought I'd post it here
> to intro myself for the future.
>
> Howdy, I'm Andrew from Fairfax, VA. I'm making my 1st attempt
> to make some wine. No jury-rigged stuff. All store-bought. I'm only
> on day 3 of Primary Fermentation. Plastic Air-lock merrily bubbling
> away. Aroma of the CO2 was at first yeasty - like the homemade
> bread I already make. Now it's more "winey/vinegary" smelling.
> How do I know I'm not making vinegar instead ?
> I don't know how to make vinegar anyway. ( I hope !)
>
> TIA,
>
> Andrew

Welcome to the group Andrew.
You will find some information here http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/
If you download the book, you can use the search function in your word
processor.
Good luck with your wine,
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

reply@grouponly

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:33:31 GMT, "Lum" >

>Welcome to the group Andrew.
>You will find some information here http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/
>If you download the book, you can use the search function in your word
>processor.
>Good luck with your wine,
>Lum
>Del Mar, California, USA

Thanks a lot. So based on a quick scan of your book,...

Acetobactor is an anaerobe and although some acetic acid is
inevitable, acetobactor shouldn't take hold as long as the basic
Beginner's Kit plastic Primary Bucket for 6 gal. is reasonably
cleaned and sanitized and the "air space" above the 6 gal
mark is filled with foam (= CO2) ?

Therefore, what I'm smelling is most likely some "grapey"
smells that are part of the process. Perhaps some grape
juice that is being bubbled up as foam, so,.. This is not
some bad batch from Vintner's Reserve that's already
"infected" with vineagar. Don't sweat it ?

I did a careful job of cleaning/sanitizing, but I did not
"sterilize" the juice with campden and wait 24 hrs. as
Frishman's booklet suggests. I just follwed the directions
in the Vintner's Reserve Instruction Sheet.

Andrew

reply@grouponly

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:33:31 GMT, "Lum" >

>Welcome to the group Andrew.
>You will find some information here http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/
>If you download the book, you can use the search function in your word
>processor.
>Good luck with your wine,
>Lum
>Del Mar, California, USA

Thanks a lot. So based on a quick scan of your book,...

Acetobactor is an anaerobe and although some acetic acid is
inevitable, acetobactor shouldn't take hold as long as the basic
Beginner's Kit plastic Primary Bucket for 6 gal. is reasonably
cleaned and sanitized and the "air space" above the 6 gal
mark is filled with foam (= CO2) ?

Therefore, what I'm smelling is most likely some "grapey"
smells that are part of the process. Perhaps some grape
juice that is being bubbled up as foam, so,.. This is not
some bad batch from Vintner's Reserve that's already
"infected" with vineagar. Don't sweat it ?

I did a careful job of cleaning/sanitizing, but I did not
"sterilize" the juice with campden and wait 24 hrs. as
Frishman's booklet suggests. I just follwed the directions
in the Vintner's Reserve Instruction Sheet.

Andrew

Chris

I very seriously doubt you are making vinegar. I remember having exactly
the same thought/concern when I made my first batch of wine. Sounds normal
to me.

Chris.

<reply@grouponly> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> My first post. I bought a good kit and the owners are helpful
> and I'm sure could answer this question. Thought I'd post it here
> to intro myself for the future.
>
> Howdy, I'm Andrew from Fairfax, VA. I'm making my 1st attempt
> to make some wine. No jury-rigged stuff. All store-bought. I'm only
> on day 3 of Primary Fermentation. Plastic Air-lock merrily bubbling
> away. Aroma of the CO2 was at first yeasty - like the homemade
> bread I already make. Now it's more "winey/vinegary" smelling.
> How do I know I'm not making vinegar instead ?
> I don't know how to make vinegar anyway. ( I hope !)
>
> TIA,
>
> Andrew

Lum

<reply@grouponly> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:33:31 GMT, "Lum" >
> >
> >Welcome to the group Andrew.
> >You will find some information here http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/
> >If you download the book, you can use the search function in your word
> >processor.
> >Good luck with your wine,
> >Lum
> >Del Mar, California, USA
> >

> Thanks a lot. So based on a quick scan of your book,...
>
> Acetobactor is an anaerobe and although some acetic acid is
> inevitable, acetobactor shouldn't take hold as long as the basic
> Beginner's Kit plastic Primary Bucket for 6 gal. is reasonably
> cleaned and sanitized and the "air space" above the 6 gal
> mark is filled with foam (= CO2) ?
>
> Therefore, what I'm smelling is most likely some "grapey"
> smells that are part of the process. Perhaps some grape
> juice that is being bubbled up as foam, so,.. This is not
> some bad batch from Vintner's Reserve that's already
> "infected" with vineagar. Don't sweat it ?
>
> I did a careful job of cleaning/sanitizing, but I did not
> "sterilize" the juice with campden and wait 24 hrs. as
> Frishman's booklet suggests. I just follwed the directions
> in the Vintner's Reserve Instruction Sheet.
>
> Andrew

It sounds like your fermentation is in good shape Andrew.

Lum

<reply@grouponly> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:33:31 GMT, "Lum" >
> >
> >Welcome to the group Andrew.
> >You will find some information here http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/
> >If you download the book, you can use the search function in your word
> >processor.
> >Good luck with your wine,
> >Lum
> >Del Mar, California, USA
> >

> Thanks a lot. So based on a quick scan of your book,...
>
> Acetobactor is an anaerobe and although some acetic acid is
> inevitable, acetobactor shouldn't take hold as long as the basic
> Beginner's Kit plastic Primary Bucket for 6 gal. is reasonably
> cleaned and sanitized and the "air space" above the 6 gal
> mark is filled with foam (= CO2) ?
>
> Therefore, what I'm smelling is most likely some "grapey"
> smells that are part of the process. Perhaps some grape
> juice that is being bubbled up as foam, so,.. This is not
> some bad batch from Vintner's Reserve that's already
> "infected" with vineagar. Don't sweat it ?
>
> I did a careful job of cleaning/sanitizing, but I did not
> "sterilize" the juice with campden and wait 24 hrs. as
> Frishman's booklet suggests. I just follwed the directions
> in the Vintner's Reserve Instruction Sheet.
>
> Andrew

It sounds like your fermentation is in good shape Andrew.

reply@grouponly

Thanks for the hand-holding guys.

Andrew
Joe Sallustio

Andrew,
I doubt it too, it takes a long time to make vinegar. I don't make
kits but most are presulfited. Do not add sulfite until it finishes
fermenting now that it has started off well. The smell will change
over time.

Joe

> I very seriously doubt you are making vinegar. I remember having exactly
> the same thought/concern when I made my first batch of wine. Sounds normal
> to me.
>
> Chris.

Ray

<reply@grouponly> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> My first post. I bought a good kit and the owners are helpful
> and I'm sure could answer this question. Thought I'd post it here
> to intro myself for the future.
>
> Howdy, I'm Andrew from Fairfax, VA. I'm making my 1st attempt
> to make some wine. No jury-rigged stuff. All store-bought. I'm only
> on day 3 of Primary Fermentation. Plastic Air-lock merrily bubbling
> away. Aroma of the CO2 was at first yeasty - like the homemade
> bread I already make. Now it's more "winey/vinegary" smelling.
> How do I know I'm not making vinegar instead ?
> I don't know how to make vinegar anyway. ( I hope !)
>
> TIA,
>
> Andrew

Along with everyone else, Welcome to our hobby. To make vinegar, you almost
have to try. Basic rules of clenliness will keep any infestations out and
then vinegar requires that air get to it. A lot of air. It does not work
under a working airlock. I have made hundreds of batchs of wine. I will
not say that they all turned out great but none ever went to vinegar unless
I was trying to make vinegar.

Relax. In 2 or 3 months you will be able to try your first batch and it
will be just fine.

Ray

Ray