Dar V

Default what are you making?

Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've got
10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and herb
wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making Rhubarb
Wine.

William Frazier

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

I'm taking brix, pH and acid readings every few days now. It's getting
close to harvest. This year I will make three wines;

Chambourcin/NY73/Baco Noir blend
Vidal/Chardonel/Vignoles blend fermented cool
Cabernet Franc/Cabernet Sauvignon blend

All these blends will be fermented together from the start. I'll only have
small amounts of the Chambourcin, Vignoles and C. Sauvignon this summer from
newer vines but I find these blended wines more complex and better tasting
than individual wines fermented alone.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

William Frazier

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

I'm taking brix, pH and acid readings every few days now. It's getting
close to harvest. This year I will make three wines;

Chambourcin/NY73/Baco Noir blend
Vidal/Chardonel/Vignoles blend fermented cool
Cabernet Franc/Cabernet Sauvignon blend

All these blends will be fermented together from the start. I'll only have
small amounts of the Chambourcin, Vignoles and C. Sauvignon this summer from
newer vines but I find these blended wines more complex and better tasting
than individual wines fermented alone.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

William Frazier

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

I'm taking brix, pH and acid readings every few days now. It's getting
close to harvest. This year I will make three wines;

Chambourcin/NY73/Baco Noir blend
Vidal/Chardonel/Vignoles blend fermented cool
Cabernet Franc/Cabernet Sauvignon blend

All these blends will be fermented together from the start. I'll only have
small amounts of the Chambourcin, Vignoles and C. Sauvignon this summer from
newer vines but I find these blended wines more complex and better tasting
than individual wines fermented alone.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

Tepe

I have 6 gallons of fresh Strawberry
12 gallons of fresh Blueberry
6 gallons fresh Blackberry.. fermenting
In another 2 weeks I will be getting fresh juice
here and will make at least 32 gallons more.
Tom

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Tepe

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Tepe

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Hoss

This is my first year...

I have 3 gal local strawberry (secondary)
6 gal watermellon (secondary)
3 gal local blueberry (primary)

Concentrates
1 gal strawberry raspberry
1 gal raspberry white grape
1 gal orange pineapple

Many more concentrate and concentrate blends in the future (girlfriend
works for Welch's :-) )

On the slate
Blackberry (still picking, middle of season here)
Elderberry (still green)
Concorde (from own yard, still green)

Greg
Erie, PA

Joe

This year, I bought some 3 gallon carboys, so instead of making a
lot of 1 gallon batches, I only have a few larger batches:

3 gal dandelion wine
3 gal tea wine
5 gal Australian Semillon kit wine (so that friends can stop making
jokes about all the "funny" wine I make)

I still want to do some 1 gallon batches - maybe mint or oregano.
And maybe one more 3 gallon batch of pear or apple if my trees
cooperate this year.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Rick Vanderwal

I just started a batch of blueberry - my third year of doing that...still
picking season here, but it's become one of my favourites.

I have pear and peach that I've not done much with because of time and have
just forgotten about them in the carboys, but just racked them off lees...so
I hope to do something with them soon.

I have frozen strawberries in the freezer as well as some rhubarb (do I hear
a blend coming?) - so sometime soon I hope to do something with that.

Jalapeno, perhaps in the fall. Also, a local farmer can get me tons of
carrots if I woudl like to at least try carrot wine.

And oh how I wish my source for blackberries was available, but alas...it
isn't this year. That has become one of the best wines I've ever made and
tasted.

Rick
"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Rick Vanderwal

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Ray

So far this year:

Wild Mustang 15 gal
Blueberry Melomel 5 gal
Orange 3 gal
Cherry 11 gal
Welch's red 3 gal
Welch's cranbery/raspberry 3 gal
Welch's white 3 gal
Blackberry/Merlot 6 gal

I think are may be another one or two but that's it off the top of my head.
Afterall, the year is only half over.

Ray

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Ray

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

bwesley7

I've got in secondary now:

6 gallons RJ Spagnols Cru Platinum Aussie Shiraz kit
12 gallons of 2004 native pear (just finished primary last week)
8 gallons of 2004 fresh strawberry
11.5 gallons of 2003 native pear
3 gallons of Dole pineapple
1 gallon of frozen strawberry
2 gallons of apple (from concentrate)

Also, within past month bottled 6 gallons of B-K Selection Pinot Noir kit.

We've got several aging -- but consistently quite productive -- native
"cooking" pear trees, and look forward each year to 10-20 gallons of pretty
good wine.

Bart

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

bwesley7

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Greg Cook

On 8/12/04 8:20 PM, in article ,
"Dar V" > wrote:

> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making Rhubarb
> Wine.

Well, we've been doing a major home remodel this year, so have slacked off
quite a bit in the winemaking area. My peach wine from last year is still
bulk aging. Probably read to bottle but I'm lazy. I have a dry oaked concord
(from juice) that has been done fermenting for a couple months and is due
for racking. I have a couple meads still bulk aging from 2001. I just
started my 2004 rhubarb vintage, but I can't seem to get the fermentation
going. I tried my first kit . . A reisling. It is beginning to clear now.
All are 5 gallons or larger.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Jon Gilliam

I just bottled 2.5 gals of Dried Apricot Mead, which I guess should really
be called a Melomel.

On January 10th I started with 6 lbs of dried, unsulfured Turkish apricots,
added 2lbs 15oz of golden raisins, added boiling water to cover and let them
soak overnight. At that point I think I would have been better off to chop
the reconstituted fruit, but what I did instead was to puree it in a food
processor.

I then added 2.5 gals of water, 5lbs of honey, and 5 ozs of sugar. The must
was a bit thick, with the honey and pureed fruit, and even after straining,
I'm not sure my hydrometer reading was accurate, but I thought I had 21 Brix
at that point. I also added 1/8 tsp of potassium metabisulfite, 6 tsps of
acid blend, 30 drops of pectic enzyme, 3 tsp of yeast nutrient, and 1/2 a
packet of Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast, added directly to the must in a 5
gallon plastic primary fermenter.

I sat this on a heating pad, and the fermentation seemed a bit slow to
start, but by Jan 13th it was quite active. Then, the fermentation slowed
down ... to a crawl. On Jan 24th the hydrometer still read 8 Brix, but I
still saw bubbles. I left it alone, changing the water in the air lock
every few weeks, and the fermentation continuted for months!

On August 1st I took a closer look at the wine ... the fermentation had
stopped, and the wine had partially cleared, but was still a bit murky. I
took a taste, and the sugar and acid was too my liking. I should have done
a hydrometer reading at this point, but I didn't ... I'm guessing by taste
that fermentation might have halted at 1 Brix (which makes me wonder if my
initial reading of 21 Brix was low).

The only problem was that the wine was disagreeably bitter. I started doing
some research into eliminating bitterness ... I considered fining with milk
or gelatin, but finally I found a resource that recommended Polyclar AT PVCC
for removing bitterness, and decided to give that a try. I don't know what
Polyclar's shelf life is, but I had a bottle that was several years old that
was sealed and stored in a refrigerator, and I decided to give that a try,
figuring that Polyclar is basically inorganic nylon.

I knew that one problem with Polyclar was that it was difficult to
completely remove from a wine without filtering, and I only have an old
gavity filter that doesn't work very well, so I didin't want to filter.
From the same resource, I'd read that a topping of Betonite was sometimes
used to help precipitate out the Polyclar. So, I racked the wine mixing
with 1/8 tsp of potassium metabisulfite, and then added 1 tsp of the
Polyclar dissolved in some warm water, stirred well, and then added 3 Tbsps
of Betonite slurry (that I keep in a sealed glass jar, prehydrated).

Ten days later (August 10th), what a change! The wine is very clear, and
the bitterness was dramatically reduced. Typical "fluffy" betonite lees
have settled reasonably, so I racked the wine again, added 1 tsp of
potassium sorbate, and topped off with distilled water, and bottled the wine
into clear bottles. It's a nice amber color, and there were 2 glasses left
over after bottling, which I chilled and sipped with my significant other.
Quite yummy!

Kirk Mitchell

Well, I just finished bottling 6 gal. of plum wine, and currently have:

13 gal Welchs Concord
6 gal Peach
6 gal Mead
6 gal Welchs Niagra

Last month, I bottled 6 gal of rice wine, but I don't think I'll bother
with that again. It's OK if you'll drink anything which I generally do,
but there are better uses for a carboy, if you ask me. B-{)

I started in 2001 after our peach, plum and apricot trees dumped a lot of
fruit on us. What a wonderful hobby. B-{)

--
Kirk

Andy j.

Hi......here's what I've got bulk aging.......
1/ 3 gal. zinfindal.....fresh grape
2/ 4 gal valiant ....fresh grape...my own
3/ 1 gal rhubarb
4/ 1 gal welch's
5/ 2 gal zinfindal false wine
6/ 3 gal riesling....kit
7/ 8 gal cab.sauv....kit

.....about being too lazy to bottle,....I usually bottle 1/2 of a 23
litre kit and put the rest in a smaller carboy to bulk age for a few
more months ....works For me....andy j.

Jon Gilliam

I'm really curious what your impressons are of the dry oaked concord wine.
made a dry wine from concord grapes once (I had grapes, not juice), and I
just
could not get past the "foxy" taste of what resulted. I decided at that
point that
concord grapes were for meant for dessert wines, and that first batch was
mainly
consumed in sangria (where it worked quite well).

,
> "Dar V" > wrote:
>
> > Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> > 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> > wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> > Wine.
> >

> Well, we've been doing a major home remodel this year, so have slacked off
> quite a bit in the winemaking area. My peach wine from last year is still
> bulk aging. Probably read to bottle but I'm lazy. I have a dry oaked

concord
> (from juice) that has been done fermenting for a couple months and is due
> for racking. I have a couple meads still bulk aging from 2001. I just
> started my 2004 rhubarb vintage, but I can't seem to get the fermentation
> going. I tried my first kit . . A reisling. It is beginning to clear now.
> All are 5 gallons or larger.
>

> --
> Greg Cook
> http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine
> http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/aws
>
> (remove spamblocker from my email)

Jack Keller

I just counted my wines in progress and have:

2 6-gallon carboys
6 5-gallon carboys
5 3-gallon carboys
1 2.5-gallon carboy
11 4-liter jugs
9 1-gallon jugs
2 3-liter jugs
1 .5-gallon jug

for 37 batches totalling about 79 gallons in progress. Too many to
list contents. Of these, about half are adaptations of other recipes,
a quarter are "new" recipes, and a quarter are old standards. I'm
drinking a vanilla bean mead as I write....

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Roger

I have 2 gal. Jalapeno, 1.5 gal black raspberry, 1 gal dandelion, and 1 gal
red currant
It's blackberry pickin' time here and the elderberries are starting to look
dark. Last year I made 15 gal of elderberry. Hope to get more this year.
Apples look good this year, too All this is from my back yard and
surrounding neighborhood. Cool, huh?

--
Roger and Lynda
"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Roger

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Roger

Wow , vanilla? I was wondering how that tasted?

--
Roger and Lynda
"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> I just counted my wines in progress and have:
>
> 2 6-gallon carboys
> 6 5-gallon carboys
> 5 3-gallon carboys
> 1 2.5-gallon carboy
> 11 4-liter jugs
> 9 1-gallon jugs
> 2 3-liter jugs
> 1 .5-gallon jug
>
> for 37 batches totalling about 79 gallons in progress. Too many to
> list contents. Of these, about half are adaptations of other recipes,
> a quarter are "new" recipes, and a quarter are old standards. I'm
> drinking a vanilla bean mead as I write....
>
> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Roger

Wow , vanilla? I was wondering how that tasted?

--
Roger and Lynda
"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> I just counted my wines in progress and have:
>
> 2 6-gallon carboys
> 6 5-gallon carboys
> 5 3-gallon carboys
> 1 2.5-gallon carboy
> 11 4-liter jugs
> 9 1-gallon jugs
> 2 3-liter jugs
> 1 .5-gallon jug
>
> for 37 batches totalling about 79 gallons in progress. Too many to
> list contents. Of these, about half are adaptations of other recipes,
> a quarter are "new" recipes, and a quarter are old standards. I'm
> drinking a vanilla bean mead as I write....
>
> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Jack Keller

Roger, the vanilla flavor is pronounced, but not excessive. The nose
is heavenly.

The first time I made this I kept the beans in too long and the flavor
was too intense for a mead, although it would have been good for a
cordial or even a wine. The trick is to allow the mead itself to
blend through....

I used clover honey and Madagascar vanilla beans, about 9-10 inches
long each. I used three beans to the gallon and left them in the
post-fermented mead for 66 days. ABV is about 11.5%.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Gary

My current "in-process" inventory includes:

6 Gal Pinot Noir (Grand Cru kit)
6 Gal Bordeaux (Grand Cru kit - destined to become Port with appropriate
additions of Everclear and sugar)
5 Gal Noble (Muscadine) from local grapes
10 Gal DeChaunac/Blueberry (the DeChaunac was way too acidic, so I blended
50/50 with Blueberry with no acid added)

Upcoming fermentations:

5 Gal Apricot
5 Gal Muscat

The minister of my church has a large crop of Muscadines, so guess where
I'll be?

Regards,
Gary

http://home.carolina.rr.com/winemaking/

"Roger" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> I have 2 gal. Jalapeno, 1.5 gal black raspberry, 1 gal dandelion, and 1

gal
> red currant
> It's blackberry pickin' time here and the elderberries are starting to

look
> dark. Last year I made 15 gal of elderberry. Hope to get more this year.
> Apples look good this year, too All this is from my back yard and
> surrounding neighborhood. Cool, huh?
>

> --
> Roger and Lynda
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
> > Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

> got
> > 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

> herb
> > wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

> Rhubarb
> > Wine.

Gary

My current "in-process" inventory includes:

6 Gal Pinot Noir (Grand Cru kit)
6 Gal Bordeaux (Grand Cru kit - destined to become Port with appropriate
additions of Everclear and sugar)
5 Gal Noble (Muscadine) from local grapes
10 Gal DeChaunac/Blueberry (the DeChaunac was way too acidic, so I blended
50/50 with Blueberry with no acid added)

Upcoming fermentations:

5 Gal Apricot
5 Gal Muscat

The minister of my church has a large crop of Muscadines, so guess where
I'll be?

Regards,
Gary

http://home.carolina.rr.com/winemaking/

"Roger" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> I have 2 gal. Jalapeno, 1.5 gal black raspberry, 1 gal dandelion, and 1

gal
> red currant
> It's blackberry pickin' time here and the elderberries are starting to

look
> dark. Last year I made 15 gal of elderberry. Hope to get more this year.
> Apples look good this year, too All this is from my back yard and
> surrounding neighborhood. Cool, huh?
>

> --
> Roger and Lynda
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
> > Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

> got
> > 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

> herb
> > wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

> Rhubarb
> > Wine.

Alfonse

Hi all,
I have currently going...
54L of Alicante from 2003 harvest still bulk aging (the other 60 or so
Litres is being consumed daily)
23L of VDV Valpolicella
23L of VDV Australian Shiraz
23L of VDV white Zin
23L of Gewertztraminer (Vineco kit)
23L of Cru Select Sangiovese/Merlot
11.5L of port (Vineco kit)
4L of banana wine (Jack Keller site recipe, sort of...)
4L of blueberry (frozen blueberries, Jack Keller site recipe)

Its a lot of wine but there was a new u-vint store in Georgetown, Ontario
called Wine Not that has a half-price special on kits!!

I'm also looking forward to this falls apple and pear harvest and maybe some
grapes if the birds leave us enough! All from the backyard.

Regards,
Al

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Alfonse

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Alfonse

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just wondered what type of wine everyone is making right now? I've

got
> 10 gallons (of 1 gallon batches) of various assorted fruit, vegea, and

herb
> wines aging around the house. Currently, I'm in the midst of making

Rhubarb
> Wine.

Making a Six-Figure Income From Passive / Money Making Tips itsFREEEE [email protected] General Cooking 0 26-11-2007 08:21 PM
making John[_20_] General Cooking 0 31-10-2007 10:20 AM
Making Tea Ron Burnett Recipes (moderated) 0 14-11-2006 02:19 PM