FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Oak in Sauvignon Blanc (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/29551-re-oak-sauvignon-blanc.html)

Pinky 29-07-2004 05:45 AM

Oak in Sauvignon Blanc

I personally wouldn't, it will mask the grassy. flinty taste of the
Sauvignon blanc -- which is often matured "sur lie" in the Loire valley ( cf
Pouilly Fumée).
I suppose it depends on the quality of the kit.
I always oak my chardonnays ( oaking and aging gives chardonnay that
delightful "buttery" taste) but never my Sauvignon Blanc or Muscadet --
two of my favourite whites -- I like the sharp dry acidness of both wines
and oaking would smooth and take the edge of sharpness away.
All IMHO!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
om...

Ray 29-07-2004 05:31 PM

Oak in Sauvignon Blanc

Two very different styles. I prefer most of my whites without oak.
Including Chardonnay. It is a personal preference. You could always do
part of it one way and part the other and see which you prefer.

Ray

Jerry DeAngelis 30-07-2004 03:31 AM

Oak in Sauvignon Blanc

Rob

No.

Jerry

Pinky 30-07-2004 07:11 AM

Oak in Sauvignon Blanc

Joe ,
I like the idea of extracting the "oak" flavour by "marinating" it in
vodka. This is exactly how I make my "Chilli Gin" which I use as a condiment
in my cooking -- both during cooking and as a additive/dressing to prepared
food on the plate. The alcohol leeches the flavour from the chillies in days
( my chilli Sherry takes months to mature to the same effect).
It sounds a good idea and enables you to oak a finished wine and the
additional alcohol needed to oak , say, a 23 litre carboy would hardly
effect the abv of the finished wine.
I shall try it in future.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
Anti Virus for your protection too!
"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
om...
> That's a toss up. I oak mine, but I like oak. It's pretty easy to
> over oak whites, but I would never say a white needs oak in general.
> Sauvignon Blanc is good both ways as far as I'm concerned. You can
> add it any time, so there is no down side to not putting it in now.
>
> Here is a suggestion. Throw all of that oak in some vodka to extract
> the oak flavor, let it sit for a few weeks. You could pull off a
> sample of your kit and add a bit of this extract to one sample and
> leave the other unoaked, then see what you prefer. The wine will
> change over time, but it will get you in the ballpark.
>
> Whatever you do keep the kit topped up with wine, keeping air away
> from your young wine is always a good idea.
>
> Regards,
> Joe

. com>...