FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   making chateauneuf du pape (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/29159-making-chateauneuf-du-pape.html)

LG1111 25-07-2004 04:55 PM

making chateauneuf du pape

Each year I try various combinations of grapes in an attempt to make a good
chateauneuf du pape. While the reds that I can get my hands on are good
(usually syrah, grenache, and if I'm lucky, mourvedre, I've never been able to
get any of the authentic white grapes to blend in (Rousanne, Grenache Blanc,
Clairette, Bourboulenc and Picardin ).

Anybody have any ideas about which white grapes might be a good complement to
my 3 red grapes? I want to produce something that's not as heavy as a pure red
blend, and something that might be drinkable a bit quicker.

Thanks,

Lee

Lum 25-07-2004 07:10 PM

making chateauneuf du pape

"LG1111" > wrote in message
> Each year I try various combinations of grapes in an attempt to make a

good
> chateauneuf du pape. While the reds that I can get my hands on are good
> (usually syrah, grenache, and if I'm lucky, mourvedre, I've never been

able to
> get any of the authentic white grapes to blend in (Rousanne, Grenache

Blanc,
> Clairette, Bourboulenc and Picardin ).
>
> Anybody have any ideas about which white grapes might be a good complement

> my 3 red grapes? I want to produce something that's not as heavy as a

pure red
> blend, and something that might be drinkable a bit quicker.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee

I often use a little Viognier Lee.
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Ray 27-07-2004 04:41 PM

making chateauneuf du pape

If you have some white wine you have made from various grapes (I generally
have 4 or 5) you might try blending a bit with your previous attempts. It
might give you some direction.

Ray

Ray 27-07-2004 04:41 PM

making chateauneuf du pape