pjyakker

Default Meta @ bottling

I am aware of the questionable accuracy of titrets, however I used them
for the first time recently. It is showing I have 50ppm already in my
wine (which I do question). I only racked once after pressing at which
time I added 2g/5gal.

Any thoughts what I should do at bottling time? I was going to rack
today in preparation for bottling in a month or so.

TIA

patrick

pjyakker

oh, and while I don't know the final pH it started as 3.21 and went
through ML

TA is .67 from original .97

pjyakker

oh, and while I don't know the final pH it started as 3.21 and went
through ML

TA is .67 from original .97

Aaron Puhala

2g of K-Meta in 5 gallons is a dose of about 60ppm SO2 so a reading of 50ppm
is not out of the question but is likely higher than what you actually have.
I use Titretes as well and I keep my SO2 level at a minimum of 40ppm for
reds and 60ppm for whites. For wines with reasonable pH's, even if my
titrets are giving me the often quoted "20ppm too high" reading, I know I
will still be OK.

CHEERS!

"pjyakker" > wrote in message
> oh, and while I don't know the final pH it started as 3.21 and went
> through ML
>
> TA is .67 from original .97

Aaron Puhala

"pjyakker" > wrote in message
> oh, and while I don't know the final pH it started as 3.21 and went
> through ML
>
> TA is .67 from original .97

Tom S

"pjyakker" > wrote in message
> I am aware of the questionable accuracy of titrets, however I used them
> for the first time recently. It is showing I have 50ppm already in my
> wine (which I do question). I only racked once after pressing at which
> time I added 2g/5gal.

That's just over 50ppm.

> Any thoughts what I should do at bottling time? I was going to rack
> today in preparation for bottling in a month or so.

Sounds like you have plenty in there for racking anyway. That gives you a
month to figure out what you _really_ have, as well as how much you actually
need.

What is the pH of the wine? It's not possible to say what the correct level
of free SO2 is unless you know the pH.

Tom S

Tom S

"pjyakker" > wrote in message
> I am aware of the questionable accuracy of titrets, however I used them
> for the first time recently. It is showing I have 50ppm already in my
> wine (which I do question). I only racked once after pressing at which
> time I added 2g/5gal.

That's just over 50ppm.

> Any thoughts what I should do at bottling time? I was going to rack
> today in preparation for bottling in a month or so.

Sounds like you have plenty in there for racking anyway. That gives you a
month to figure out what you _really_ have, as well as how much you actually
need.

What is the pH of the wine? It's not possible to say what the correct level
of free SO2 is unless you know the pH.

Tom S

Iodophor vs Pot. Meta Bisulfite bobdrob[_3_] Winemaking 2 16-02-2010 05:38 PM
Meta For [email protected] Winemaking 1 25-07-2005 10:18 PM
Meta - has this happened to you? Rob Winemaking 2 25-07-2005 07:26 AM
Sodium Meta or Pot Meta Allen Winemaking 2 06-10-2004 05:11 AM
Na Meta vrs. K Meta glad heart Winemaking 5 01-11-2003 10:33 AM