Joe Ae

Default vinegar making

Just when I thought I understood the relationship between vinegar and wine I
was told that you can make vinegar directly from grape juice and water.
Does anyone have any information on this method? How do the pros make
vinegar?

thanks

Joe

Pat Keith

The vinegar bacteria can work with the yeast converting alcohol to vinegar
as fast as its made.

Joe Sallustio

I'm pretty sure that's how true balsamic's are made, they ferment and
infect the must at the same time. I have no experience with any of
this so can't speak on the process.

I'm not sure I understand adding water, some good vinegars are made
from partially raisined grapes, others boil the must to concentrate it
a bit. The goal is not necessarily a 'dry' vinegar in those cases
though, they have a residual sweetness to them; they age them quite a
while also.

Adding 1 part water, 1 part vinegar to two parts wine is common if you
want to end up with around 5% acetic acid vinegar. That's typically
how I make mine, most of my wine is 12% alcohol v/v. I really don't
use store bought vinegar anymore since making my own, it really does
taste better. I only use store bought for pickling since it's really
cheap.
Regards,
Joe

"Joe Ae" > wrote in message >...
> Just when I thought I understood the relationship between vinegar and wine I
> was told that you can make vinegar directly from grape juice and water.
> Does anyone have any information on this method? How do the pros make
> vinegar?
>
> thanks
>
> Joe

Paul E. Lehmann

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand adding water, some good vinegars are made
> from partially raisined grapes, others boil the must to concentrate it
> a bit. The goal is not necessarily a 'dry' vinegar in those cases
> though, they have a residual sweetness to them; they age them quite a
> while also.

Joe, a couple months ago I bought some mother of vinegar and added it to
some of my red wine and white wine. I have a gallon of each. Prior to
adding the vinegar, I added about 2 cups of water to the wine to dilute it
a bit since I heard that the mother culture might not like a high alcohol
to start with. So far nothing. There is a hint of vinegar to both but no
more than when I added the mother culture. Any ideas why it is not
working? I have it on the porch and far away from my wine cellar. I have
the top of the jugs stuffed with paper towels so air can get in. It is
pretty bad when a home winemaker can't even make vinegar.

Joe Sallustio

Paul,
some issue with google stopped this from going out, apologies.
Joe

vinegar making JimT Winemaking 5 19-02-2007 10:54 PM
vinegar making JimT General Cooking 0 15-02-2007 01:30 PM
Making Wine Vinegar Goomba38 Preserving 22 15-02-2007 10:00 AM
Making vinegar Lobster Man General Cooking 12 01-02-2007 01:26 AM
Making Wine Vinegar Goomba38 General Cooking 5 31-12-2006 06:14 PM