frederick ploegman

Default The PA scale

What is the purpose and function of the PA scale on my hydrometer ??

Rick Vanderwal

I never really got used to the BRIX numbers....
but appreciated the specific gravity scale better: 1.090, etc.
but even better than that is just to look at PA - "potential alcohol."
and say: hmmmm, this is what I"m gonna be close to.
it's worked for me so far...12-14%.....that range

"frederick ploegman" > wrote in message
> What is the purpose and function of the PA scale on my hydrometer ??

frederick ploegman

Hi Rick

Yup - Most folks do it that way, and so do I. With pre-pitch readings
and calculations, everything works out just fine. It is only the
post-pitch readings that get messed up. Thanks for your answer.

Frederick

"Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> I never really got used to the BRIX numbers....
> but appreciated the specific gravity scale better: 1.090, etc.
> but even better than that is just to look at PA - "potential alcohol."
> and say: hmmmm, this is what I"m gonna be close to.
> it's worked for me so far...12-14%.....that range
>

> "frederick ploegman" > wrote in message
> > What is the purpose and function of the PA scale on my hydrometer ??

Ray

PA scale is an indication of where you might end up. You still have to
calculate where you actually ended up when the fermentation is over.

Ray

"frederick ploegman" > wrote in message
> What is the purpose and function of the PA scale on my hydrometer ??

JEP

"Ray" > wrote in message m>...
> PA scale is an indication of where you might end up. You still have to
> calculate where you actually ended up when the fermentation is over.
>
> Ray

PA is Potential Alcohol, an estimate of the alochol content if all of
the sugar is consumed. If any sugar is left in the must, you will not
reach this potential.

Andy

Ray

I am very serious about this question. I can site references that state
differently that what you say. Can you give me accepted, published
references that agree with your statement?

Ray

"JEP" > wrote in message
om...
> "Ray" > wrote in message

m>...
> > PA scale is an indication of where you might end up. You still have to
> > calculate where you actually ended up when the fermentation is over.
> >
> > Ray
> >

> PA is Potential Alcohol, an estimate of the alochol content if all of
> the sugar is consumed. If any sugar is left in the must, you will not
> reach this potential.
>
> Andy

Lum

"Ray" > wrote in message
. ..
> I am very serious about this question. I can site references that state
> differently that what you say. Can you give me accepted, published
> references that agree with your statement?
>
> Ray
>
> "JEP" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Ray" > wrote in message

> m>...
> > > PA scale is an indication of where you might end up. You still have

> > > calculate where you actually ended up when the fermentation is over.
> > >
> > > Ray
> > >

> > PA is Potential Alcohol, an estimate of the alochol content if all of
> > the sugar is consumed. If any sugar is left in the must, you will not
> > reach this potential.
> >
> > Andy

Ray & Andy,

One mole of sugar produces 2 moles of alcohol. The molecular weight of
sugar is 180 and the molecular weight of ethanol is 46. So theoretically,
180 grams of sugar can produce 92 grams of alcohol. 92 divided by 180 is
..511 or 51.1 percent.

But in practical fermentations, only 90 - 92 percent of the sugar produces
ethanol. The rest of the sugar produces higher alcohols, acetaldehyde,
succinic acid, etc.

In addition, some alcohol is blown off by the escaping carbon dioxide gas.

See Margalit, "Concepts in Wine Chemistry," page 56.

Regards,
lum

Ray

Thanks Lum but that is not what I am looking for. I know all that. I can
calculate the theoretical, maximum yield but I want the practical yield.
What I really am looking for is published raw data on beginning and ending
SG (or equivalent) and actual measured alcohol in the finished wine using a
laboratory determination rather than charts. I am embroiled in a dispute
with certain parties as a result of the article on determining alcohol that
I published in WineMaker. I have good references to accepted publications
that that state what the tables that are but I have not found raw data that
really verifies their tables and how they should be used. I have tried to
get this type of information from a number of laboratories that should have
it but have not been successful. (I am not willing to pay for it, that is
why I want published numbers.) If anyone can come up the this type of
information I would be really grateful.

Ray

"Lum" > wrote in message

> "Ray" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I am very serious about this question. I can site references that state
> > differently that what you say. Can you give me accepted, published
> > references that agree with your statement?
> >
> > Ray
> >
> > "JEP" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > "Ray" > wrote in message

> > m>...

> > > PA is Potential Alcohol, an estimate of the alochol content if all of
> > > the sugar is consumed. If any sugar is left in the must, you will not
> > > reach this potential.
> > >
> > > Andy

> Ray & Andy,
>
> One mole of sugar produces 2 moles of alcohol. The molecular weight of
> sugar is 180 and the molecular weight of ethanol is 46. So theoretically,
> 180 grams of sugar can produce 92 grams of alcohol. 92 divided by 180 is
> .511 or 51.1 percent.
>
> But in practical fermentations, only 90 - 92 percent of the sugar produces
> ethanol. The rest of the sugar produces higher alcohols, acetaldehyde,
> succinic acid, etc.
>
> In addition, some alcohol is blown off by the escaping carbon dioxide gas.
>
> See Margalit, "Concepts in Wine Chemistry," page 56.
>
> Regards,
> lum

Lum

"Ray" > wrote in message
m...
> Thanks Lum but that is not what I am looking for. I know all that. I can
> calculate the theoretical, maximum yield but I want the practical yield.
> What I really am looking for is published raw data on beginning and ending
> SG (or equivalent) and actual measured alcohol in the finished wine using

> laboratory determination rather than charts. I am embroiled in a dispute
> with certain parties as a result of the article on determining alcohol

that
> I published in WineMaker. I have good references to accepted publications
> that that state what the tables that are but I have not found raw data

that
> really verifies their tables and how they should be used. I have tried to
> get this type of information from a number of laboratories that should

have
> it but have not been successful. (I am not willing to pay for it, that is
> why I want published numbers.) If anyone can come up the this type of
> information I would be really grateful.
>
> Ray

Ray,

I have not followed this discussion, so please pardon my ignorance.

I hope the following data is of interest to you.

Starting Finished
Brix Brix Alc. 1 Alc. 2 Alc. 3
24.3 -1.6 13.0 13.2 12.6
24.1 -1.4 13.1 - 12.8
22.8 -1.7 12.4 - -
23.5 -1.5 12.4 12.7 -
25.1 -1.3 13.6 13.7 -
23.2 -1.5 12.3 12.4 12.2

These data from a few wines made in my garage over the past few years. All
are red fermentations done in !/2 ton fruit bins without temperature
control. The time from starting Brix to finished Brix is 7 to 10 days,
except for the 25.1 Brix fermentation. It was hot and fast and finished in
5 days.

The first column is the starting Brix.
The second column is finished Brix.
The third column is the alcohol measured by my home made ebulliometer.
The fourth column is the alcohol measured by a well calibrated commercial
ebulliometer.
The fifth column is the alcohol measured by a standard distillation method.

Regards,
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Joe Sallustio

Ray
A good library will have Polarimetry, Saccarimetry and the Sugars by
Bates, NBS Circular C440. It's out of print, a 1942 publication.
NIST still uses it. It is a definitive text but it's pretty deep. If
your regular library does not have it, try a nearby college. (We have
several copies here in Pittsburgh, NIST recommended the book to me a
few years ago when I had similar questions and I had a hard time
finding it; once I found one copy a few other sources became obvious.)

I have a copy and can email you an excel spreadsheet with values taken
from the book, but the bottom line is outside influences make
prediction of alcohol content an approximation only. They used
standardzed sucrose solutions for the values, not juice. I corrected
the tables for the changes in our understanding of mass and volume;
they are miniscule, but I did it anyway.

Lum,
I have though about making my own ebulliometer since they are so
pricey. I have a good RTD somewhere, how hard was it to make the
boiling chamber? I was wondering if I could just use a boiling flask
and stopper. Could you share your setup and tables?
Regards,
Joe

"Lum" > wrote in message >...
> "Ray" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Thanks Lum but that is not what I am looking for. I know all that. I can
> > calculate the theoretical, maximum yield but I want the practical yield.
> > What I really am looking for is published raw data on beginning and ending
> > SG (or equivalent) and actual measured alcohol in the finished wine using

> > laboratory determination rather than charts. I am embroiled in a dispute
> > with certain parties as a result of the article on determining alcohol

> that
> > I published in WineMaker. I have good references to accepted publications
> > that that state what the tables that are but I have not found raw data

> that
> > really verifies their tables and how they should be used. I have tried to
> > get this type of information from a number of laboratories that should

> have
> > it but have not been successful. (I am not willing to pay for it, that is
> > why I want published numbers.) If anyone can come up the this type of
> > information I would be really grateful.
> >
> > Ray

> Ray,
>
> I have not followed this discussion, so please pardon my ignorance.
>
> I hope the following data is of interest to you.
>
> Starting Finished
> Brix Brix Alc. 1 Alc. 2 Alc. 3
> 24.3 -1.6 13.0 13.2 12.6
> 24.1 -1.4 13.1 - 12.8
> 22.8 -1.7 12.4 - -
> 23.5 -1.5 12.4 12.7 -
> 25.1 -1.3 13.6 13.7 -
> 23.2 -1.5 12.3 12.4 12.2
>
> These data from a few wines made in my garage over the past few years. All
> are red fermentations done in !/2 ton fruit bins without temperature
> control. The time from starting Brix to finished Brix is 7 to 10 days,
> except for the 25.1 Brix fermentation. It was hot and fast and finished in
> 5 days.
>
> The first column is the starting Brix.
> The second column is finished Brix.
> The third column is the alcohol measured by my home made ebulliometer.
> The fourth column is the alcohol measured by a well calibrated commercial
> ebulliometer.
> The fifth column is the alcohol measured by a standard distillation method.
>
> Regards,
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

William Frazier

Joe Sallustio wrote"Lum,
I have though about making my own ebulliometer since they are so
pricey. I have a good RTD somewhere, how hard was it to make the
boiling chamber? I was wondering if I could just use a boiling flask
and stopper. Could you share your setup and tables?
Regards,
Joe"

Same from me Lum. I bought the thermometer several years ago and tried to
rig up a home made ebulliometer but never trusted the test results.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

Lum

"William Frazier" > wrote in message

> Joe Sallustio wrote"Lum,
> I have though about making my own ebulliometer since they are so
> pricey. I have a good RTD somewhere, how hard was it to make the
> boiling chamber? I was wondering if I could just use a boiling flask
> and stopper. Could you share your setup and tables?
> Regards,
> Joe"
>
> Same from me Lum. I bought the thermometer several years ago and tried to
> rig up a home made ebulliometer but never trusted the test results.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA

Joe & Bill,

I made my ebulliometer over 40 years ago, so I can't give you many details.
At that time, I was working for NBS and had access to great machine and
welding shops. I borrowed a commercial ebulliometer (from a local winery)
and essentially duplicated it.

For calibration, I made up known alcohol solutions from absolute ethyl
alcohol and I also checked against the commercial ebulliometer.
Calibration can also be done with H2O if you measure and correct for the
atmospheric pressure. (You do this kind of calibration each time you use
the ebulliometer). A good thermometer, complete condenser reflux and
minimum temperature gradients seem to be important issues.

I am currently using the ebulliometer chart in "Making Good Wine" by Bryce
Rankine, page 331.

I don't think people understand the difficulties in accurately measuring the
alcohol content of wine. Dissolved solids (sugar, acid, etc.), changes in
atmospheric pressure (4 mm = 0.5%), small temperature changes (0.02 degrees
= 0.1%), etc., etc. cause significant errors. The difference between 12 %
and 12.5 % is only FOUR PERCENT and accurately measuring alcohol (or
anything else) to 4 % in such a complex solution as wine is tough.

Regards,
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Joe Sallustio

Well, next time I'm up Presque Isle I'll ask them show me one. I
fully appreciate your comments on accuracy and share them. I was
always told water boiled at 212F in school. After working in a
standards lab for years I found water usually boiled at 210 F here in
Pittburgh, our barometric pressue is usually around 740 mmHg, not 760
mmHg. I understand reflux condensers and once I see one I think I can
duplicate it. Bill, if it looks doable I will be in touch.
Regards,
Joe

"Lum" > wrote in message >...
> "William Frazier" > wrote in message
> >
> > Joe Sallustio wrote"Lum,
> > I have though about making my own ebulliometer since they are so
> > pricey. I have a good RTD somewhere, how hard was it to make the
> > boiling chamber? I was wondering if I could just use a boiling flask
> > and stopper. Could you share your setup and tables?
> > Regards,
> > Joe"
> >
> > Same from me Lum. I bought the thermometer several years ago and tried to
> > rig up a home made ebulliometer but never trusted the test results.
> >
> > Bill Frazier
> > Olathe, Kansas USA
> >

> Joe & Bill,
>
> I made my ebulliometer over 40 years ago, so I can't give you many details.
> At that time, I was working for NBS and had access to great machine and
> welding shops. I borrowed a commercial ebulliometer (from a local winery)
> and essentially duplicated it.
>
> For calibration, I made up known alcohol solutions from absolute ethyl
> alcohol and I also checked against the commercial ebulliometer.
> Calibration can also be done with H2O if you measure and correct for the
> atmospheric pressure. (You do this kind of calibration each time you use
> the ebulliometer). A good thermometer, complete condenser reflux and
> minimum temperature gradients seem to be important issues.
>
> I am currently using the ebulliometer chart in "Making Good Wine" by Bryce
> Rankine, page 331.
>
> I don't think people understand the difficulties in accurately measuring the
> alcohol content of wine. Dissolved solids (sugar, acid, etc.), changes in
> atmospheric pressure (4 mm = 0.5%), small temperature changes (0.02 degrees
> = 0.1%), etc., etc. cause significant errors. The difference between 12 %
> and 12.5 % is only FOUR PERCENT and accurately measuring alcohol (or
> anything else) to 4 % in such a complex solution as wine is tough.
>
> Regards,
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

Ray

Thanks Lum. I will see what I can do with your data. Also, thanks to Joe,
I will try to track down your reference.

Ray

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

> > 23.5 -1.5 12.4 12.7 -
> > 25.1 -1.3 13.6 13.7 -
> > 23.2 -1.5 12.3 12.4 12.2
> >
> > These data from a few wines made in my garage over the past few years.

All
> > are red fermentations done in !/2 ton fruit bins without temperature
> > control. The time from starting Brix to finished Brix is 7 to 10 days,
> > except for the 25.1 Brix fermentation. It was hot and fast and finished

in
> > 5 days.
> >
> > The first column is the starting Brix.
> > The second column is finished Brix.
> > The third column is the alcohol measured by my home made ebulliometer.
> > The fourth column is the alcohol measured by a well calibrated

commercial
> > ebulliometer.
> > The fifth column is the alcohol measured by a standard distillation

pp

"Lum" > wrote in message >...
> Ray & Andy,
>
> One mole of sugar produces 2 moles of alcohol. The molecular weight of
> sugar is 180 and the molecular weight of ethanol is 46. So theoretically,
> 180 grams of sugar can produce 92 grams of alcohol. 92 divided by 180 is
> .511 or 51.1 percent.
>
> But in practical fermentations, only 90 - 92 percent of the sugar produces
> ethanol. The rest of the sugar produces higher alcohols, acetaldehyde,
> succinic acid, etc.
>
> In addition, some alcohol is blown off by the escaping carbon dioxide gas.
>
> See Margalit, "Concepts in Wine Chemistry," page 56.
>
> Regards,
> lum

Ar a recent talk, a professional winemaker here from BC mentioned that
they were getting higher alcohol levels for the starting Brix than
they used to, often by 1% or even more. She said this was confirmed by
other winemakers from the area. Her hypothesis was that the yeast were
getting more efficient in alcohol production. This could have large
repercussions if that were indeed the case. I'm wondering if this is
happening in other, hotter areas, as well?

Pp
Vancouver, Canada

Lum

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
> "Lum" > wrote in message

> > Ray & Andy,
> >
> > One mole of sugar produces 2 moles of alcohol. The molecular weight of
> > sugar is 180 and the molecular weight of ethanol is 46. So

theoretically,
> > 180 grams of sugar can produce 92 grams of alcohol. 92 divided by 180

is
> > .511 or 51.1 percent.
> >
> > But in practical fermentations, only 90 - 92 percent of the sugar

produces
> > ethanol. The rest of the sugar produces higher alcohols, acetaldehyde,
> > succinic acid, etc.
> >
> > In addition, some alcohol is blown off by the escaping carbon dioxide

gas.

> > See Margalit, "Concepts in Wine Chemistry," page 56.
> >
> > Regards,
> > lum

> Ar a recent talk, a professional winemaker here from BC mentioned that
> they were getting higher alcohol levels for the starting Brix than
> they used to, often by 1% or even more. She said this was confirmed by
> other winemakers from the area. Her hypothesis was that the yeast were
> getting more efficient in alcohol production. This could have large
> repercussions if that were indeed the case. I'm wondering if this is
> happening in other, hotter areas, as well?
>
> Pp
> Vancouver, Canada

Some types of wine yeast produce more alcohol than others, so the above
situation certainly seems possible. But, I don't understand what the "large
repercussions" would be.
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

pp

"Lum" > wrote in message news:<uutAc.480> >
> > Ar a recent talk, a professional winemaker here from BC mentioned that
> > they were getting higher alcohol levels for the starting Brix than
> > they used to, often by 1% or even more. She said this was confirmed by
> > other winemakers from the area. Her hypothesis was that the yeast were
> > getting more efficient in alcohol production. This could have large
> > repercussions if that were indeed the case. I'm wondering if this is
> > happening in other, hotter areas, as well?
> >
> > Pp
> > Vancouver, Canada

> Some types of wine yeast produce more alcohol than others, so the above
> situation certainly seems possible. But, I don't understand what the "large
> repercussions" would be.
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

Well, if the yeast got consistenly more efficient in producing
alcohol, then the winemaking practice would have to adjust to that
somehow, particularly in hot areas, otherwise we'd end up with hot,
unbalanced wines, no? 1% is a lot as an average change.

I believe she's been using the same yeast over the years, so it's not
a change in the type of yeast.

Pp
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Lum

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
> "Lum" > wrote in message news:<uutAc.480> >
> > > Ar a recent talk, a professional winemaker here from BC mentioned that
> > > they were getting higher alcohol levels for the starting Brix than
> > > they used to, often by 1% or even more. She said this was confirmed by
> > > other winemakers from the area. Her hypothesis was that the yeast were
> > > getting more efficient in alcohol production. This could have large
> > > repercussions if that were indeed the case. I'm wondering if this is
> > > happening in other, hotter areas, as well?
> > >
> > > Pp
> > > Vancouver, Canada

> > Some types of wine yeast produce more alcohol than others, so the above
> > situation certainly seems possible. But, I don't understand what the

"large
> > repercussions" would be.
> > Lum
> > Del Mar, California, USA

> Well, if the yeast got consistenly more efficient in producing
> alcohol, then the winemaking practice would have to adjust to that
> somehow, particularly in hot areas, otherwise we'd end up with hot,
> unbalanced wines, no? 1% is a lot as an average change.

Going from 12 to 13 percent alcohol would indeed change the general
character of many wines, but making well balanced, high alcohol wines is not
necessarily difficult. Going from 13.1 to 14.1 percent alcohol results in a
big change in the tax due on commercial wine made in the USA. Of course,
the winemaker can control the alcohol content of the finished wine to some
extent by adjusting the starting Brix (one way or another).

> I believe she's been using the same yeast over the years, so it's not
> a change in the type of yeast.

If she has been propagating her own yeast for many years, I would suspect
the yeast has changed. On the other hand, if she is using dry yeast, then I
suspect the additional alcohol is due to some factor other than yeast.

Regards,
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Ray

Could you locate contact information, name, or whatever, for the person
giving the talk. If you can, you could pass it to me directly at my email
rather than putting it on the news group. (They may or may not appreciate
that.)

Ray

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
> "Lum" > wrote in message

> > Ray & Andy,
> >
> > One mole of sugar produces 2 moles of alcohol. The molecular weight of
> > sugar is 180 and the molecular weight of ethanol is 46. So

theoretically,
> > 180 grams of sugar can produce 92 grams of alcohol. 92 divided by 180

is
> > .511 or 51.1 percent.
> >
> > But in practical fermentations, only 90 - 92 percent of the sugar

produces
> > ethanol. The rest of the sugar produces higher alcohols, acetaldehyde,
> > succinic acid, etc.
> >
> > In addition, some alcohol is blown off by the escaping carbon dioxide

gas.

> > See Margalit, "Concepts in Wine Chemistry," page 56.
> >
> > Regards,
> > lum

> Ar a recent talk, a professional winemaker here from BC mentioned that
> they were getting higher alcohol levels for the starting Brix than
> they used to, often by 1% or even more. She said this was confirmed by
> other winemakers from the area. Her hypothesis was that the yeast were
> getting more efficient in alcohol production. This could have large
> repercussions if that were indeed the case. I'm wondering if this is
> happening in other, hotter areas, as well?
>
> Pp
> Vancouver, Canada

frederick ploegman

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
> "Lum" > wrote in message news:<uutAc.480> >
> > > Ar a recent talk, a professional winemaker here from BC mentioned that
> > > they were getting higher alcohol levels for the starting Brix than
> > > they used to, often by 1% or even more. She said this was confirmed by
> > > other winemakers from the area. Her hypothesis was that the yeast were
> > > getting more efficient in alcohol production. This could have large
> > > repercussions if that were indeed the case. I'm wondering if this is
> > > happening in other, hotter areas, as well?
> > >
> > > Pp
> > > Vancouver, Canada

> > Some types of wine yeast produce more alcohol than others, so the above
> > situation certainly seems possible. But, I don't understand what the

"large
> > repercussions" would be.
> > Lum
> > Del Mar, California, USA

> Well, if the yeast got consistenly more efficient in producing
> alcohol, then the winemaking practice would have to adjust to that
> somehow, particularly in hot areas, otherwise we'd end up with hot,
> unbalanced wines, no? 1% is a lot as an average change.
>
> I believe she's been using the same yeast over the years, so it's not
> a change in the type of yeast.
>
> Pp
> Vancouver, BC, Canada

Hi Pp

I suspect that this is nothing more than another case of _misapplying_
that same old end alcohol formula that pops up every now and then.
Using this formula will _always_ produce answers that are 1-2%abv
*too high* !! Let me give an example of this:

We start a ferment with an OG of 1.090 (22BRIX/12PA). We
ferment it down to an EG of 0.990. If we then use that end alcohol
formula, it will _try_ to tell us that we have 13.4%ABV in our wine,
which of course is wrong.

Earlier in this thread, Andy gave us a definition of PA:
"...PA is Potential Alcohol, an estimate of the alcohol content if all of
the sugar is consumed. If any sugar is left in the must, you will not
reach this potential..."

Thus - Our original PA was 12. All of the sugar is consumed in
producing that 12%ABV. With no more sugar to consume, our
ferment comes to a halt, and there is _no way_ we can reach
13.4%ABV in that wine.

It's all very simple. Really !! Tell that lady she hasn't discovered a
mutated strain of yeast, she is only MISapplying that method of
determining end alcohol. If she doubts this, she can easily pay a
lab to test the wine to be sure. HTH

Frederick

William Frazier

"a professional winemaker here from BC mentioned that
they were getting higher alcohol levels for the starting Brix than
they used to, often by 1% or even more. She said this was confirmed by
other winemakers from the area. Her hypothesis was that the yeast were
getting more efficient in alcohol production. This could have large
repercussions if that were indeed the case. I'm wondering if this is
happening in other, hotter areas, as well?"

In addition to wine I make a lot of beer. I use Wyeast liquid yeast and
prepare a starter for my 6 gallon batches. Once fermentation is complete I
reuse the yeast for another batch. I do this again for a third batch. To
reuse the yeast I pour the new batch of wort onto the yeast cake from the
previouse batch. There is a lot more yeast present for the second and third
batches. These batches always ferment down lower than the first batch, thus
creating more alcohol. Makes me wonder if the winemaker mentioned above is
using variable amounts of yeast and perhaps that is the reason for the
increased alcohol. Beer never ferments to zero like wine. Seems like the
only way you can end up with more alcohol in wine is to start with more
fermentables.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

Ray

Frederick, It is easy to find references to respected authors that use the
equations. Can you provide references to respected authors that publish
information indicating that these equations are wrong?

Thanks
Ray

"frederick ploegman" > wrote in message

> "pp" > wrote in message
> om...

that

by

were

> > > Some types of wine yeast produce more alcohol than others, so the

above
> > > situation certainly seems possible. But, I don't understand what the

> "large
> > > repercussions" would be.
> > > Lum
> > > Del Mar, California, USA

> > Well, if the yeast got consistenly more efficient in producing
> > alcohol, then the winemaking practice would have to adjust to that
> > somehow, particularly in hot areas, otherwise we'd end up with hot,
> > unbalanced wines, no? 1% is a lot as an average change.
> >
> > I believe she's been using the same yeast over the years, so it's not
> > a change in the type of yeast.
> >
> > Pp
> > Vancouver, BC, Canada

> Hi Pp
>
> I suspect that this is nothing more than another case of _misapplying_
> that same old end alcohol formula that pops up every now and then.
> Using this formula will _always_ produce answers that are 1-2%abv
> *too high* !! Let me give an example of this:
>
> We start a ferment with an OG of 1.090 (22BRIX/12PA). We
> ferment it down to an EG of 0.990. If we then use that end alcohol
> formula, it will _try_ to tell us that we have 13.4%ABV in our wine,
> which of course is wrong.
>
> Earlier in this thread, Andy gave us a definition of PA:
> "...PA is Potential Alcohol, an estimate of the alcohol content if all of
> the sugar is consumed. If any sugar is left in the must, you will not
> reach this potential..."
>
> Thus - Our original PA was 12. All of the sugar is consumed in
> producing that 12%ABV. With no more sugar to consume, our
> ferment comes to a halt, and there is _no way_ we can reach
> 13.4%ABV in that wine.
>
> It's all very simple. Really !! Tell that lady she hasn't discovered a
> mutated strain of yeast, she is only MISapplying that method of
> determining end alcohol. If she doubts this, she can easily pay a
> lab to test the wine to be sure. HTH
>
> Frederick

pp

"frederick ploegman" > wrote in message >...

> Hi Pp
>
> I suspect that this is nothing more than another case of _misapplying_
> that same old end alcohol formula that pops up every now and then.
> Using this formula will _always_ produce answers that are 1-2%abv
> *too high* !! Let me give an example of this:
>
> We start a ferment with an OG of 1.090 (22BRIX/12PA). We
> ferment it down to an EG of 0.990. If we then use that end alcohol
> formula, it will _try_ to tell us that we have 13.4%ABV in our wine,
> which of course is wrong.
>
> Earlier in this thread, Andy gave us a definition of PA:
> "...PA is Potential Alcohol, an estimate of the alcohol content if all of
> the sugar is consumed. If any sugar is left in the must, you will not
> reach this potential..."
>
> Thus - Our original PA was 12. All of the sugar is consumed in
> producing that 12%ABV. With no more sugar to consume, our
> ferment comes to a halt, and there is _no way_ we can reach
> 13.4%ABV in that wine.
>
> It's all very simple. Really !! Tell that lady she hasn't discovered a
> mutated strain of yeast, she is only MISapplying that method of
> determining end alcohol. If she doubts this, she can easily pay a
> lab to test the wine to be sure. HTH
>
> Frederick

Frederick:

Only the winemaker could answer this for sure, but I doubt she's
making simple errors like this. She's one of the best commercial
winemakers in BC, with a degree from UC Davis. As for lab results, I
would think she's doing that already but that's just a guess.

As for the PA definition, it sounds reasonable, but I'm wondering what
formula is being used to equate 22Brix with 12PA? Unless we know that
we can't be sure the hydrometer PA scale is correct. Going back to
Lum's post about alcohol yield from sugar, we should be able to
calculate theoretical maximum PA for a given Brix - I think I saw the
result in Margalit's Concepts in Wine Chemistry, but I'm waiting to
get it from library, so can't answer that right now. Anw, I'm willing
to bet that value is higher than 12PA.

I have some info sheets at home from mostly Napa wineries with Brix,
TA and final alcohol numbers, I'll try to look those up to bring some
more data into this discussion.

Pp
frederick ploegman

Ray

We have _lots_ of experts in this group, and these experts have access
to a wide variety of references. So why don't we just ask the folks
here _point blank_, and see what they can come up with.

Earlier, Andy wrote:
"...My literature from UC Davis says (paraphrasing):

The theoretic maximum yield of ethanol is around .6 times the initial
Brix. This would give a maximum yield of 13.2 ABV for a 22 Brix must.
My reference goes on to say that .55 times the initial brix is really
all we can get in practice, which would yield around 12.1 ABV. This is
because a varying percentage of the sugar is used for other things and
even if the fermentation does not stick, there is a percentage of
sugar that ends up as other end products (like glycerol, pyruvate,
acetate, acetaldehyde)...."

**Question to the group: Does _anyone_ out there have any modern
reference that_contradicts_what UC Davis has to say on this subject
in any substantive way ????? TIA

Frederick

"Ray" > wrote in message
m...
> Frederick, It is easy to find references to respected authors that use

the
> equations. Can you provide references to respected authors that publish
> information indicating that these equations are wrong?
>
> Thanks
> Ray
>
> "frederick ploegman" > wrote in message
> >
> > "pp" > wrote in message
> > om...

> that

confirmed
> by

> were

large

is

> above

the
> > "large
> > >
> > > Well, if the yeast got consistenly more efficient in producing
> > > alcohol, then the winemaking practice would have to adjust to that
> > > somehow, particularly in hot areas, otherwise we'd end up with hot,
> > > unbalanced wines, no? 1% is a lot as an average change.
> > >
> > > I believe she's been using the same yeast over the years, so it's not
> > > a change in the type of yeast.
> > >
> > > Pp
> > > Vancouver, BC, Canada

> > Hi Pp
> >
> > I suspect that this is nothing more than another case of _misapplying_
> > that same old end alcohol formula that pops up every now and then.
> > Using this formula will _always_ produce answers that are 1-2%abv
> > *too high* !! Let me give an example of this:
> >
> > We start a ferment with an OG of 1.090 (22BRIX/12PA). We
> > ferment it down to an EG of 0.990. If we then use that end alcohol
> > formula, it will _try_ to tell us that we have 13.4%ABV in our wine,
> > which of course is wrong.
> >
> > Earlier in this thread, Andy gave us a definition of PA:
> > "...PA is Potential Alcohol, an estimate of the alcohol content if all

of
> > the sugar is consumed. If any sugar is left in the must, you will not
> > reach this potential..."
> >
> > Thus - Our original PA was 12. All of the sugar is consumed in
> > producing that 12%ABV. With no more sugar to consume, our
> > ferment comes to a halt, and there is _no way_ we can reach
> > 13.4%ABV in that wine.
> >
> > It's all very simple. Really !! Tell that lady she hasn't discovered a
> > mutated strain of yeast, she is only MISapplying that method of
> > determining end alcohol. If she doubts this, she can easily pay a
> > lab to test the wine to be sure. HTH
> >
> > Frederick

frederick ploegman

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
> "frederick ploegman" > wrote in message

> > Hi Pp
> >
> > I suspect that this is nothing more than another case of _misapplying_
> > that same old end alcohol formula that pops up every now and then.
> > Using this formula will _always_ produce answers that are 1-2%abv
> > *too high* !! Let me give an example of this:
> >
> > We start a ferment with an OG of 1.090 (22BRIX/12PA). We
> > ferment it down to an EG of 0.990. If we then use that end alcohol
> > formula, it will _try_ to tell us that we have 13.4%ABV in our wine,
> > which of course is wrong.
> >
> > Earlier in this thread, Andy gave us a definition of PA:
> > "...PA is Potential Alcohol, an estimate of the alcohol content if all

of
> > the sugar is consumed. If any sugar is left in the must, you will not
> > reach this potential..."
> >
> > Thus - Our original PA was 12. All of the sugar is consumed in
> > producing that 12%ABV. With no more sugar to consume, our
> > ferment comes to a halt, and there is _no way_ we can reach
> > 13.4%ABV in that wine.
> >
> > It's all very simple. Really !! Tell that lady she hasn't discovered a
> > mutated strain of yeast, she is only MISapplying that method of
> > determining end alcohol. If she doubts this, she can easily pay a
> > lab to test the wine to be sure. HTH
> >
> > Frederick

> Frederick:
>
> Only the winemaker could answer this for sure, but I doubt she's
> making simple errors like this. She's one of the best commercial
> winemakers in BC, with a degree from UC Davis. As for lab results, I
> would think she's doing that already but that's just a guess.
>
> As for the PA definition, it sounds reasonable, but I'm wondering what
> formula is being used to equate 22Brix with 12PA? Unless we know that
> we can't be sure the hydrometer PA scale is correct. Going back to
> Lum's post about alcohol yield from sugar, we should be able to
> calculate theoretical maximum PA for a given Brix - I think I saw the
> result in Margalit's Concepts in Wine Chemistry, but I'm waiting to
> get it from library, so can't answer that right now. Anw, I'm willing
> to bet that value is higher than 12PA.
>
> I have some info sheets at home from mostly Napa wineries with Brix,
> TA and final alcohol numbers, I'll try to look those up to bring some
> more data into this discussion.
>
> Pp

I wish you luck, Pp. I, for one, will be very much surprised if the PA
scale on all of the world's hydrometers turns out to be invalid.

Frederick

pp

"frederick ploegman" > wrote in message >...

> I wish you luck, Pp. I, for one, will be very much surprised if the PA
> scale on all of the world's hydrometers turns out to be invalid.
>
> Frederick

Alright, here is how the hydrometer PA scale does against some real
data. The numbers are from info sheets provided by Napa, Sonoma, and 1
Washington state winery. The wines are marked R (red) and W (white) as
this is significant.

The columns a Brix, final alcohol, PA per hydrometer, delta
(hydrometer - actual).

The PA per hydrometer was calculated by B * (12/22) = B * 0.545 (as
22B = 12PA).

The table is ordered by the delta.

Where B is given as a range, avg value was taken for simplicity.

Type B Final PA Delta
R 25.5 13.5 13.9 +0.4
R 26-27 14.5 14.5 0
W 25.6 14.2 14 -0.2
W 25.2 14 13.8 -0.2
R 24.8 13.9 13.6 -0.3
R 24-25 13.7 13.4 -0.3
R 26.8 15 14.6 -0.4
R 24.2 13.6 13.2 -0.4
R 26.4 15 14.4 -0.6
W 25 14.5 13.7 -0.8
W 23.8 13.9 13 -0.9
W 23.5 13.9 12.8 -1.1
W 23.5-25 14.5 13.3 -1.2
W 23.5 14.2 12.8 -1.4

Average delta all: -0.53; reds: -0.23; whites: -0.83

I'd say not too good overall, particularly for whites. The higher
alcohol in whites vs. reds makes sense and is well supported in
literature. But the formula systematically underestimates even reds in
this sample. Out of 14 wines, 6 are outside of the reasonable +-0.5
delta, with the worst case being -1.4 (that's Napa, Matanzas Creek
Sauv B 2001).

Based on this, I think I could argue that the PA scale on all of the
world's hydrometers leaves something to be desired.

Pp
Paul E. Lehmann

pp wrote:

> "frederick ploegman" > wrote in message
>>
>> I wish you luck, Pp. I, for one, will be very much surprised if the PA
>> scale on all of the world's hydrometers turns out to be invalid.
>>
>> Frederick

> Alright, here is how the hydrometer PA scale does against some real
> data. The numbers are from info sheets provided by Napa, Sonoma, and 1
> Washington state winery. The wines are marked R (red) and W (white) as
> this is significant.
>
> The columns a Brix, final alcohol, PA per hydrometer, delta
> (hydrometer - actual).
>
> The PA per hydrometer was calculated by B * (12/22) = B * 0.545 (as
> 22B = 12PA).
>
> The table is ordered by the delta.
>
> Where B is given as a range, avg value was taken for simplicity.
>
> Type B Final PA Delta
> R 25.5 13.5 13.9 +0.4
> R 26-27 14.5 14.5 0
> W 25.6 14.2 14 -0.2
> W 25.2 14 13.8 -0.2
> R 24.8 13.9 13.6 -0.3
> R 24-25 13.7 13.4 -0.3
> R 26.8 15 14.6 -0.4
> R 24.2 13.6 13.2 -0.4
> R 26.4 15 14.4 -0.6
> W 25 14.5 13.7 -0.8
> W 23.8 13.9 13 -0.9
> W 23.5 13.9 12.8 -1.1
> W 23.5-25 14.5 13.3 -1.2
> W 23.5 14.2 12.8 -1.4
>
> Average delta all: -0.53; reds: -0.23; whites: -0.83
>
> I'd say not too good overall, particularly for whites. The higher
> alcohol in whites vs. reds makes sense and is well supported in
> literature. But the formula systematically underestimates even reds in
> this sample. Out of 14 wines, 6 are outside of the reasonable +-0.5
> delta, with the worst case being -1.4 (that's Napa, Matanzas Creek
> Sauv B 2001).
>
> Based on this, I think I could argue that the PA scale on all of the
> world's hydrometers leaves something to be desired.
>
> Pp

Would be interesting to see some data from Brix values closer to 22 Brix.
Do you have or could you get data in this area. 25+ Brix values are not
representative of grapes grown in the East. I am wondering if the error
might not be non linear and may in fact be opposite for lower Brix juice.
JEP

"Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message >...
> > Pp

> Would be interesting to see some data from Brix values closer to 22 Brix.
> Do you have or could you get data in this area. 25+ Brix values are not
> representative of grapes grown in the East. I am wondering if the error
> might not be non linear and may in fact be opposite for lower Brix juice.

I would be careful about using data sheets like this too. Even wine
labels can have an inacurate ABV listed on them. For all the crap the
US government puts wine makers through concerning labels, they allow a
pretty big margin of error when it comes to alcohol content.

The data sheets on many web sites are only general information on the
parameters. I'm sure detailed data sheets are kept on each
fermentation, but the stuff published is generalized for public
consumption. Some times the brix values are nothing more than the last
field tests or sampling tests conducted during the crush.

Ray,

You may have posted it before and I missed it, but care to share your
calculation for (estimated) alcohol content.

Andy
Paul E. Lehmann

JEP wrote:

> I would be careful about using data sheets like this too. Even wine
> labels can have an inacurate ABV listed on them. For all the crap the
> US government puts wine makers through concerning labels, they allow a
> pretty big margin of error when it comes to alcohol content.

I can vouch for that. Last year I worked part time at a small commercial
winery in Northern Virginia. The winemaker would "SWAG" (Scientific Wild
Ass Guess" the alcohol content based on the initial brix at crush for each
variety.

I doubt seriously if many or any of the wineries in that area (Northern
Virginia) actually do a laboratory test for the finished alcohol content
but that does not stop them from putting a number on the label.

They are also not checked for a log of sprayings and a log of the
fermentations and additions for each wine. The winery I worked at was
owned by a Pulmonary Doctor so one would think that detail and record
keeping would be something with which he had familiarity.

I have heard that winery and vineyard records ARE checked in wineries out
west. Anyone have any comments or experience in the record keeping and
required testing for commercial wineries?
pp

"Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message >...
> pp wrote:
>
> > "frederick ploegman" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I wish you luck, Pp. I, for one, will be very much surprised if the PA
> >> scale on all of the world's hydrometers turns out to be invalid.
> >>
> >> Frederick

> > Alright, here is how the hydrometer PA scale does against some real
> > data. The numbers are from info sheets provided by Napa, Sonoma, and 1
> > Washington state winery. The wines are marked R (red) and W (white) as
> > this is significant.
> >
> > The columns a Brix, final alcohol, PA per hydrometer, delta
> > (hydrometer - actual).
> >
> > The PA per hydrometer was calculated by B * (12/22) = B * 0.545 (as
> > 22B = 12PA).
> >
> > The table is ordered by the delta.
> >
> > Where B is given as a range, avg value was taken for simplicity.
> >
> > Type B Final PA Delta
> > R 25.5 13.5 13.9 +0.4
> > R 26-27 14.5 14.5 0
> > W 25.6 14.2 14 -0.2
> > W 25.2 14 13.8 -0.2
> > R 24.8 13.9 13.6 -0.3
> > R 24-25 13.7 13.4 -0.3
> > R 26.8 15 14.6 -0.4
> > R 24.2 13.6 13.2 -0.4
> > R 26.4 15 14.4 -0.6
> > W 25 14.5 13.7 -0.8
> > W 23.8 13.9 13 -0.9
> > W 23.5 13.9 12.8 -1.1
> > W 23.5-25 14.5 13.3 -1.2
> > W 23.5 14.2 12.8 -1.4
> >
> > Average delta all: -0.53; reds: -0.23; whites: -0.83
> >
> > I'd say not too good overall, particularly for whites. The higher
> > alcohol in whites vs. reds makes sense and is well supported in
> > literature. But the formula systematically underestimates even reds in
> > this sample. Out of 14 wines, 6 are outside of the reasonable +-0.5
> > delta, with the worst case being -1.4 (that's Napa, Matanzas Creek
> > Sauv B 2001).
> >
> > Based on this, I think I could argue that the PA scale on all of the
> > world's hydrometers leaves something to be desired.
> >
> > Pp

> Would be interesting to see some data from Brix values closer to 22 Brix.
> Do you have or could you get data in this area. 25+ Brix values are not
> representative of grapes grown in the East. I am wondering if the error
> might not be non linear and may in fact be opposite for lower Brix juice.

It definitely would be informative, but can't help you there, these
were all the data I could find among my notes. However, the theory is
that in colder climates the alcohol yield is better than in hotter
climates, so if anything, the error should be even more pronounced for
lower B values, more common in colder climates. But that's just a
guess, no data to support that.

Pp

Ray

Responding to PP, Paul, and JEP above:

PP,

On your comments concerning the accuracy of the PA scale on the hydrometer.
I think you will find that this is the same scale that is found in the
common SG/Brix/Sugar/PA table that is published all over the place. Fred
and I have been having an extended discussion of this off line. He has one
view of it's meaning and I have another. Neither of us have found
diffinative data showing which one is right. We are both looking for such
now but it may take time. The data you include does bear on the discussion.

Fred maintains that the PA values in the table represent the maximum
possible alcohol yield and anyone who uses or supports a calculation that
gives values higher than these is wrong by deffinition. He has not produced
any data to directly support this. He has arguements that do but they have
not convinced me. I will leave it to Fred to argue his point.

If you look at many published accounts of the table the instructions suggest
that if your SG drops below 1.000 you have to calculate the extra alcohol
that is being generated. This suggests that the table is based on
frementing, not to dryness, but to an ending SG of 1.000. This is the
interpretation that I use. It is supported by other authors that look at
the SG/PA relationship in different ways. But, in all honesty, I cannot say
that I can prove my view any better than Fred can. All I have to go on is
the comments of well respected authors who Fred discounts.

The calculation I use is that published by Duncan and Acton in Progressive
Winemaking.
PA = (G begining - G ending) / F
Where
G = 1000 * (SG - 1) = gravity
and
F = 7.75 - 3*(G begining - 7) / 800

The F term corrects for non-sugar solutes in the wine. Depending on the
media you may need to adjust the value 7 up or down. It is interesting to
note that Duncan and Action did not mension the common PA table at all but
if you assume and ending SG of 1.000 you will get the values in the common
table using thier equation. (See "The Unified Theory of Gravity" in
April-May WineMaker Mag.)

I have really not found any data that proves that this is true but you will
typically get 1% higher calculated alcohol useing this meathod over just
looking up PA in the table. The numbers you posted do seem to indicate that
you can get numbers higher than found in the common table. That is
interesting. But I am not going to say that they prove my side of the
arguement. I want a bit more before I claim that.

So, by Freds interpretation, he would say that the table is correct and the
measurements you quote must be wrong. By my interpretation, I would expect
you to get a higher alcohol level than given in the table if you ferement to
dryness.

-----------------------------
Paul wrote: "I am wondering if the error might not be non linear and may in
fact be opposite for lower Brix juice."

IMHO:
I suspect that the difference is linear as the other relations in the table
are linear. What is probably not linear is error caused by using different
yeast strains and differen media. Different yeast may be more or less
efficient as converting sugar to alcohol and different media may have a
different correction in the F term.

---------------
JEP wrote "I would be careful about using data sheets like this too. Even
wine
labels can have an inacurate ABV listed on them. For all the crap the
US government puts wine makers through concerning labels, they allow a
pretty big margin of error when it comes to alcohol content."

IMHO:
Regardless of what is put on the labels, they do perform laboratory analysis
on wines out west to determine the true alcohol level. This is for tax
purposes. I have been in communication with a number of agencies, labs, and
some wineries out there recently. The government is strict on them. Back
east they seem to ignore the goverment requirements. One of these days the
Feds are going to come down on them. I think the main reason for the
difference in enforcment is that Cal. grapes are much higher sugar content
and are at risk of making higher than 14% wines. The goverment taxes these
at a higer level. East coast grapes are rarely in danger of having this
problem.

Ray

pp

Ray:

I was thinking about the problem yesterday and reread your Winemaker
article and it seems to me both of you might be right, just the basic
assumption is wrong.

I would agree with Fred's definition of PA being the maximum potential
alcohol once can get by fermenting to dryness (I hope I'm paraphrasing
this ok?). But what's shown on the hydrometer is NOT the *theoretical*
maximum PA bur rather an estimate of *practical* PA that one can
normally achieve. Taking this number as maximum PA that one can
achieve is incorrect, as demonstrated by the data that I sent in.

Going back to Lum's post - the maximum theoretical yield of alcohol
form sugar is 51% by weight, which translates to 65% by volume. For
22B, this gives 14.3-14.4, which agrees dead on with Duncan and Acton.
But this value can never be achieved, as some sugar (8-10%) is used to
produce other things than alcohol, so a *practical* maximum is more
around 60-59% by volume. We are of course more interested in the
practical value, so this suggests the D&A numbers have to be adjusted
downward, unless this is somehow built into their formula in that F
coefficient?

Going back to the hydrometer PA, the 22B = 12% gives B * 0.545 = %
alcohol as the underlying formula, so this is a significant down
adjustment from 0.65. My beef was this was that we didn't know where
this number came from. If this estimate is too low, then the scale
systemically undervalues the practical PA, and then it's possible that
one can get a better estimate by *including the final gravity* using
this scale than just basing it on the initial gravity.

If, on the other hand, a different formula is used, the starting
gravity might be good enough. Somebody was asking for modern
references - Margalit in Concepts of Wine Technology (2nd edition) has
2 formulas: B * 0.57 and a variation of this - (B-2.1) * sg * 0.57.
These incorporate the sugar loss for byproducts and other solids in
must. He claims one of these - I think the second one - is +-0.2% on
average from the finished measured value for B range 18-25. Both
formulas should give a close result in this range. The B*0.57 formula
would add about 0.5% to the hydrometer estimate - incidentally, if
this was used against the data that I provided (deltas -0.83, -0.53,
-0.23), the estimate would have been much better (-0.3, 0, +0.2).

So, the point, which I still have some trouble articulating, is that
depending on the formula one uses, a good estimate can be achieved
either just from the starting gravity or one also has to include the
finished gravity. With the hydrometer scale, it seems both of those
options are about the same, with the first one underestimating and the
other likely overestimating by about the same amount for a dry wine.

I think I'm done with this one, back to making wine!

Pp

"Ray" > wrote in message om>...
> [...]
> US government puts wine makers through concerning labels, they allow a
> pretty big margin of error when it comes to alcohol content."
>
> IMHO:
> Regardless of what is put on the labels, they do perform laboratory analysis
> on wines out west to determine the true alcohol level. This is for tax
> purposes. I have been in communication with a number of agencies, labs, and
> some wineries out there recently. The government is strict on them. Back
> east they seem to ignore the goverment requirements. One of these days the
> Feds are going to come down on them. I think the main reason for the
> difference in enforcment is that Cal. grapes are much higher sugar content
> and are at risk of making higher than 14% wines. The goverment taxes these
> at a higer level. East coast grapes are rarely in danger of having this

Paul S. Remington

"Ray" > wrote:
<Snip!>
> The calculation I use is that published by Duncan and Acton in Progressive
> Winemaking.
> PA = (G begining - G ending) / F
> Where
> G = 1000 * (SG - 1) = gravity
> and
> F = 7.75 - 3*(G begining - 7) / 800

<Snip!>

Hello Ray, et al.,

I ran my numbers for a Chardonnay in long-term aging to see what PA
the formula above reports. I must be doing something wrong because
the answer I'm getting is an impossible PA. Can someone run-through
how they're determining the answer based on my SG? Either the formula
is wrong or I'm wrong. Considering what I do for a living, I lean on
the latter; I'm NOT a mathematician! Rather, I was a Liberal Arts
major. :-)

Beginning SG: 1.098
Ending SG: .998

The final alcohol rating I calculated with a hydrometer after
fermentation completed was 13.75%.

Much appreciated, gentleman!

-Paul
frederick ploegman

> **Question to the group: Does _anyone_ out there have any modern
> reference that_contradicts_what UC Davis has to say on this subject
> in any substantive way ????? TIA
>
> Frederick

Ray

I think we now have the answer to this question. It's what they used
to call "the sound of silence". No one who actually understands this
stuff is going to contradict what the research scientists at UC Davis
have to say on this subject (except yourself).

We covered this material in our private discussion and our discussion
ended several weeks ago when you refused to accept this work as
a modern, authoritative reference. This same material has now been
covered in both this thread and the thread titled "Planning a ferment",
and you have once again ignored or rejected all arguments.

There is nothing more I can do for you, Ray. You will have to
somehow work this out on your own.

frederick ploegman

"pp" > wrote in message
om...
> "frederick ploegman" > wrote in message

> > I wish you luck, Pp. I, for one, will be very much surprised if the PA
> > scale on all of the world's hydrometers turns out to be invalid.
> >
> > Frederick

> Alright, here is how the hydrometer PA scale does against some real
> data. The numbers are from info sheets provided by Napa, Sonoma, and 1
> Washington state winery. The wines are marked R (red) and W (white) as
> this is significant.
>
> The columns a Brix, final alcohol, PA per hydrometer, delta
> (hydrometer - actual).
>
> The PA per hydrometer was calculated by B * (12/22) = B * 0.545 (as
> 22B = 12PA).
>
> The table is ordered by the delta.
>
> Where B is given as a range, avg value was taken for simplicity.
>
> Type B Final PA Delta
> R 25.5 13.5 13.9 +0.4
> R 26-27 14.5 14.5 0
> W 25.6 14.2 14 -0.2
> W 25.2 14 13.8 -0.2
> R 24.8 13.9 13.6 -0.3
> R 24-25 13.7 13.4 -0.3
> R 26.8 15 14.6 -0.4
> R 24.2 13.6 13.2 -0.4
> R 26.4 15 14.4 -0.6
> W 25 14.5 13.7 -0.8
> W 23.8 13.9 13 -0.9
> W 23.5 13.9 12.8 -1.1
> W 23.5-25 14.5 13.3 -1.2
> W 23.5 14.2 12.8 -1.4
>
> Average delta all: -0.53; reds: -0.23; whites: -0.83
>
> I'd say not too good overall, particularly for whites. The higher
> alcohol in whites vs. reds makes sense and is well supported in
> literature. But the formula systematically underestimates even reds in
> this sample. Out of 14 wines, 6 are outside of the reasonable +-0.5
> delta, with the worst case being -1.4 (that's Napa, Matanzas Creek
> Sauv B 2001).
>
> Based on this, I think I could argue that the PA scale on all of the
> world's hydrometers leaves something to be desired.
>
> Pp

Hi Pp

No serious student of winemaking would consider this to be "real data".
But I know that you are serious about this and I will try to give you
a serious answer here. To this end, let me give you an easy way to
evaluate this data for yourself.

Keep in mind that the maximum *theoretical* conversion rate is
about 0.60, and the maximum *realistic* conversion rate is about 0.55.
It is this realistic rate that we find on our hydrometers.

All you have to do is divide the end alcohol by the original BRIX to
see how this data compares to reality.

In your fist example we would divide 13.5(ABV) by 25.5(BRIX) and
get 0.529. This is slightly less than the expected 0.55 rate and would
lead us to expect that a small amount of sugar was unconsumed and
was left in the wine as "residual" sugar.

In your last example we would divide 14.2(ABV) by 23.5(BRIX) and
get 0.6043. This exceeds even the theoretical maximum (even
without _any_ losses) !! Obviously there is something seriously wrong
with these numbers.

I might also point out that in at least 3 of these examples they are unsure
of their original BRIX numbers, which automatically indicates that this
"real data" isn't credible.

There is of course a much easier way to do this. Since the "realistic"
calculations have already been done for us and appear in the PA
scale on our hydrometers, simply compare the end alcohol to the
original PA for that wine. If the end alcohol exceeds the predicted
(potential) alcohol, you automatically know that something has gone
wrong with your end alcohol calculation.
HTMS, HTH

Frederick

Joe Sallustio

Ok, I _think_ I found what you want. Principles and Practices of
Winemaking, by Boulton et al, Chapter 5, section 2 page 195. It's way
too deep to go into detail here, but it's exactly what you and Fred
are looking for. I have a copy and will sum up:

The French have done a ton of work on this and so have the
Californians since the 50's. The bottom line seems to be that PA is
nothing more than a ballpark value. The variety of wine must, area
grown in and seasonal weather variations all impact alcohol
conversion, not to mention fermentation practices.

Hera are a few formulas:
Dujardin: (They make a wonderful ebulliometer too by the way)
PA= 0.0595* [2.66*Oe- 31.8]

"Ray" > wrote in message om>...
> [...]
> US government puts wine makers through concerning labels, they allow a
> pretty big margin of error when it comes to alcohol content."
>
> IMHO:
> Regardless of what is put on the labels, they do perform laboratory analysis
> on wines out west to determine the true alcohol level. This is for tax
> purposes. I have been in communication with a number of agencies, labs, and
> some wineries out there recently. The government is strict on them. Back
> east they seem to ignore the goverment requirements. One of these days the
> Feds are going to come down on them. I think the main reason for the
> difference in enforcment is that Cal. grapes are much higher sugar content
> and are at risk of making higher than 14% wines. The goverment taxes these
> at a higer level. East coast grapes are rarely in danger of having this

Joe Sallustio

"Ray" > wrote in message om>...
> [...]
> US government puts wine makers through concerning labels, they allow a
> pretty big margin of error when it comes to alcohol content."
>
> IMHO:
> Regardless of what is put on the labels, they do perform laboratory analysis
> on wines out west to determine the true alcohol level. This is for tax
> purposes. I have been in communication with a number of agencies, labs, and
> some wineries out there recently. The government is strict on them. Back
> east they seem to ignore the goverment requirements. One of these days the
> Feds are going to come down on them. I think the main reason for the
> difference in enforcment is that Cal. grapes are much higher sugar content
> and are at risk of making higher than 14% wines. The goverment taxes these
> at a higer level. East coast grapes are rarely in danger of having this

Joe Sallustio

... I hate computers sometimes...

Here is what I was saying before about potential alcohol;

Dujardin (1913):

PA (V/V)= 0.0594*[2.66*Oe-31.8]

Where Oe = Oechsle [(s.g.(20/20C-1.000]*1000

Ribereau-Gayon (1975):
PA (V/V)= 0.0595*[2560*((S.G 20/20 C)- 1)-22.2]

These two come out pretty close to one another.

Californian Data (Bioletti (Marsh 1958):

PA (V/V) = 0.592*[(sugar w/w%)-3.0] (Huge difference)

From Ough, Amerine and Jones (1963-1985)"
PA (V/V) a+b* brix

Where 'b' varies by year, cultivar and growing region and 'a' varies
from -4.92 to + 4.37. I can't give you what a and b are, they are
measured values that are not stated clearly (at least to me).

The bottom line is they saw mean ethanol yields vary from 0.665 to
0.588 from region I to region IV over 9 years. That's a variation on
the order of 1.5% varied around 12.5% V/V.

The modulus 145 values of Baume roughly correlate to PA if you exclude
nonsugar extract, a bad idea. The good news is its easy to measure
that one in finished wine, but by then its a little too late. You
could guesstimate at 2 or 3%, but that is what the other calculatins
are compensating for and they got those values from somewhere.

I guess what I'm trying to say is as far as i am concerned Potential
Alcohol is just a best guess. Too many factors can influence the
final yield of a wine. It's hard to estimate the unfermentable
dissolved solids and that will impact a hydrometer, period. That
number seems to bounce around at least 1 % that's a big deal to me.

As to the prefered methods of analysis, ebulliometry and distillation/
hydrometry are really the only approved methods of measuring alcohol
by the BATF. Ebulliometry is affected by sugar at 2% or greater,
distillation/ hydrometry are impacted by excess SO2 (>200 mg/L) and
excess acetic acid (>0.1%). As long as those issues are deal with,
you can get accurate data to at least 0.3% which is good enough for
BATF. (I can't speak to other countries regulations, I just don't
know for sure.)

I have a chart of ebulliometric values once barometric pressure is
compensated for from Wine Analysis and Production by Zoecklein et al
that I am going to transfer to Excel as an FYI.

Regards,
Joe
frederick ploegman

Comments interspersed.......

"Ray" > wrote in message
m...
> Responding to PP, Paul, and JEP above:
>
> PP,
>
> On your comments concerning the accuracy of the PA scale on the

hydrometer.
> I think you will find that this is the same scale that is found in the
> common SG/Brix/Sugar/PA table that is published all over the place. Fred
> and I have been having an extended discussion of this off line.

Our discussion ended several weeks ago when you refused to accept
the UC Davis material as a modern, "respected" source. I covered this
material with you, and that material has again been covered in both
this thread and the thread titled "Planning a ferment". You continue to
refuse to accept this. I can no longer help you,Ray. I said this then
and I will repeat it here, your argument is no longer just with me but
is now with the research scientists at UC Davis !! Please take your
arguments up with *them*.

>He has one
> view of it's meaning and I have another. Neither of us have found
> diffinative data showing which one is right. We are both looking for such
> now but it may take time.

I am no longer looking for additional data. I am completely satisfied
that _all_ of my previous answers to you were correct. I suggest
you drop that D&A reference as the sole support of your theory,
and proceed by using any and all _other_ references you can find.

>The data you include does bear on the discussion.
>
> Fred maintains that the PA values in the table represent the maximum
> possible alcohol yield and anyone who uses or supports a calculation that
> gives values higher than these is wrong by deffinition.

Please stop misrepresenting what I have said. The PA values in the
table represent the maximum _realistic_ amount of alcohol that can
be expected if the wine goes to dryness. There is of course the
_theoretical_ maximum, but *all* sources will tell you that this
theoretical maximum is not achievable in any real world situation.

>He has not produced
> any data to directly support this.

What do you call the UC Davis material ??

>He has arguements that do but they have
> not convinced me. I will leave it to Fred to argue his point.
>
> If you look at many published accounts of the table the instructions

suggest
> that if your SG drops below 1.000 you have to calculate the extra alcohol
> that is being generated.

This is the false assumption that all of Ray's work is based on. The
_only_ reason SG drops below 1.000 is because of the effects of the
alcohol !! Alcohol is a NON-fermentable solute and contributes
_nothing_ to the resulting end alcohol level.

>This suggests that the table is based on
> frementing, not to dryness, but to an ending SG of 1.000. This is the
> interpretation that I use. It is supported by other authors that look at
> the SG/PA relationship in different ways. But, in all honesty, I cannot

say
> that I can prove my view any better than Fred can. All I have to go on is
> the comments of well respected authors who Fred discounts.
>
> The calculation I use is that published by Duncan and Acton in Progressive
> Winemaking.
> PA = (G begining - G ending) / F
> Where
> G = 1000 * (SG - 1) = gravity
> and
> F = 7.75 - 3*(G begining - 7) / 800
>
> The F term corrects for non-sugar solutes in the wine. Depending on the
> media you may need to adjust the value 7 up or down. It is interesting to
> note that Duncan and Action did not mension the common PA table at all

Oh yes they did !! All of the information on the Duncan and Acton
chart conforms to the "standard" tables with the exception of a
grotesquely distorted PA column. Here are some examples taken
from the D&A table:
SG1.080...19.8Brix...12.8PA
SG1.090...22.0Brix...14.4PA
SG1.100...24.2Brix...16.0PA

I'm told that is document was originally published in the 1960s. If, after
all this time, it has had no effect on modern thinking, I feel it is safe
to assume that it has been rejected by modern science. I mean, does
any one out there have a hydrometer that reflects the above PA
information ?? BTW - I finally located where I can get a copy of this
reference. I found it on AMAZON.COM. It is long out of print and is
on sale there for $1.75(US). ;o)

Frederick

frederick ploegman

> Going back to Lum's post - the maximum theoretical yield of alcohol
> form sugar is 51% by weight, which translates to 65% by volume.

How did you arrive at this ??