Phil Read

Default Elderflower Champagne sediment...

I'm newish to this but every year I make some Elderflower Champagne.
This year it has gone slightly wrong there appears to be excessive
sediment and everytime I release the pressure it is all stirred up. i
don't ever remember this happening before. Should I restrain it and if
I do will it lose it's fizz.

TIA

--
Phil Read
preadatmacdotcom
Robin Somes

In message >, Phil Read
> writes
>I'm newish to this but every year I make some Elderflower
>Champagne. This year it has gone slightly wrong there appears to be
>excessive sediment and everytime I release the pressure it is all
>stirred up. i don't ever remember this happening before.

I make it every year too; always did have a lot of sediment in (i.e.
maybe 1/2 to 1 inch at the bottom of a 2-pint screw-topped bottle). But
I never really noticed that it makes much difference in terms of the
flavour, until the stuff has been bottled a very long time, when it
begins to get a bit rank and yeasty.

>Should I restrain it and if I do will it lose it's fizz.

IMO, it probably won't do much harm, particularly if it's done gently;
the fermentation that carbonates it is (presumably) still going on to
some extent, and straining won't remove the active yeast cells. That
said, if the sediment isn't causing a problem, why take the risk?
Perhaps you could compromise by straining as you're serving from the
bottle?

cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk

safe pH level for elderflower/made wines charlottetraynor Winemaking 5 20-05-2017 10:26 AM
Elderflower Jelly gloria p Preserving 2 28-06-2014 03:44 AM
Elderflower pong! flowerpot Winemaking 2 23-06-2005 04:04 PM
Bottle Sediment [email protected] Winemaking 10 11-02-2005 07:03 PM
Hardly any sediment. Did I rack too soon? Mark G. Winemaking 0 24-09-2004 03:52 AM