FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   5 gallon keg and Argon for wine storage? (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/26841-5-gallon-keg-argon.html)

Alex 14-04-2004 05:25 AM

5 gallon keg and Argon for wine storage?

Hello,
I was thinking about using a 5 gallon soda keg to store my wine when the
volume is less than I can put in one of my carboys. I would use argon
instead of CO2 to purge and pressurize the keg (the lid won't seal without
some pressure ~5PSI). Does anyone here do this and is there any reason why
this is a bad idea. I have all of the kegging stuff for home brewing I
would just have to buy an argon tank and an adapter for my regulator. I
know a variable capacity tank would be better and I am getting one but I
make white and red wine and can't afford to buy two tanks this year. I
think the whole argon deal will cost me about $60-80.
-Alex

Joe Sallustio 14-04-2004 11:45 AM

5 gallon keg and Argon for wine storage?

Alex
You should be ok with that. Unless you are talking a big tank, the
inert gas route is probably a better way to go anyway. Most wineries
can't keep things topped up all the time so use inert gas for the
headspace. Iversen recommends it; I've seen it recommended in most
commercial winemaking books also. Argon seems to be the gas of
choice, it's heavier than air, nitrogen and CO2 also. I don't think
it likes to stay in solution in wine either; I think people like to
use it to purge the wine of CO2.

If I ever decide to get rid of my carboys and go with SS I will be
doing this too.

Regards,
Joe

Tom S 15-04-2004 02:27 AM

"Alex" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I was thinking about using a 5 gallon soda keg to store my wine when

the
> volume is less than I can put in one of my carboys. I would use argon
> instead of CO2 to purge and pressurize the keg (the lid won't seal without
> some pressure ~5PSI). Does anyone here do this and is there any reason

why
> this is a bad idea.

I use inert gas all the time for this purpose, but mainly nitrogen because
it's cheaper. Since you really need to sweep _all_ of the air out of the
headspace, argon's density doesn't really buy you anything.

I'd recommend that you find a way to seal the keg with less pressure. Inert
gases do dissolve in the wine somewhat, and they affect the flavor a bit
until they come out of solution.

Tom S