steve

Default Artisan Barrels?

Hi folks,
Springtime for me is time to start thinking about barrel strategies for 2004
harvest. Naturally this means thinking about a new barrel. In browsing the
web I found this site http://www.artisanbarrels.com . They sell small size
(50L - 100L ) French barrels from Saint-Martin and Allary.

steve

Tom S

"steve" > wrote in message
> Hi folks,
> Springtime for me is time to start thinking about barrel strategies for

2004
> harvest. Naturally this means thinking about a new barrel. In browsing the
> web I found this site http://www.artisanbarrels.com . They sell small

size
> (50L - 100L ) French barrels from Saint-Martin and Allary.

Beware! On that site it indicates that the small size barrels are _waxed_.
If you're looking to impart oak flavor into your wine, you won't get it from
a waxed barrel. They're as neutral as a glass carboy.

Tom S

William Frazier

"steve" wrote...
In browsing the web I found this site http://www.artisanbarrels.com . They
sell small
size (50L - 100L ) French barrels from Saint-Martin and Allary.

Tom S" > wrote
Beware! On that site it indicates that the small size barrels are _waxed_.
If you're looking to impart oak flavor into your wine, you won't get it
from
a waxed barrel. They're as neutral as a glass carboy.

Tom - the 50L and 100L barrels are free of the wax. You know barrels. Is
this a good source for small French Oak barrels? What are some sources you
use? I need a new small barrel this fall.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas

Tom S

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> Tom - the 50L and 100L barrels are free of the wax. You know barrels. Is
> this a good source for small French Oak barrels? What are some sources

you
> use? I need a new small barrel this fall.

Their unwaxed barrels are probably OK, but being French they'll be
expen$ive. :^(

I buy mine from Mel Knox at François Freres, USA in San Francisco. He's at
The smallest he handles is 15 gallons.

Alternatively, Demptos makes a 7½ gallon barrel. I don't have a link to
them.

Tom S

steve small

"Tom S" > wrote in message
om...
> Their unwaxed barrels are probably OK, but being French they'll be
> expen$ive. :^(
>
> I buy mine from Mel Knox at François Freres, USA in San Francisco. He's

at
> The smallest he handles is 15 gallons.
>
> Alternatively, Demptos makes a 7½ gallon barrel. I don't have a link to
> them.

I bought a Demptos Barrel about 3 years ago (26L) cost $180USD
(
http://www.demptosusa.com/smallbarrels.htm), they were very nice folks to
deal with and the barrel is excellent.
That Artisan link has 55L barrel from Allary or Saint Martin (not a names
I've encountered before) for $215 - although I note they indicate none in
stock. You can also find nice looking small french barrels at
http://www.tonnellerieradoux.com/Spe...20barrels.html where they
indicate a 50L for $195, and a $110L for $305.

I have been on Mel Knox's email list but generally he is selling barrels
larger that I can deal with. Although this topic has been covered at length
elsewhere I have had no problem in working with small barrels. I would say
that my Demptos French barrel is _waaaaayyy_ better made than either of the
Hungarian barrels I have.

steve

Web Williams

I'm looking for a -reasonably- priced French oak barrel
in the next couple of weeks. I've temporarily inserted
oak cubes into my carboy to get things started so I
won't be too late in getting the oak added, but I'd
really like to age my wine in a French oak barrel. My
batch is 23L. Any good sources of unwaxed barrels? I
sent a question to the barrel maker mentioned in the
first article mentioning my concerns about using a
waxed barrel. Why in the world would they make such
a thing? (For show only, I suppose?)

-Web Williams in Myrtle Beach, SC
E-mail address suppressed to prevent SPAM