Tim

Default Dandelion Wine Recipe Wanted...

With spring right around the corner, I seek a good Dandelion Wine Recipe (as
detailed as possible.)

Thanks

A.J. Rawls

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelion.asp

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:37:56 -0500, "Tim" > wrote:

>With spring right around the corner, I seek a good Dandelion Wine Recipe (as
>detailed as possible.)
>
>Thanks

Akator

I have this old English recipie you might like.

2 Pints fresh dandelion flowers
1 Pint white grape juice concentrate
2 tsp. citric acid
2 lb white sugar
1/2 tsp. tannin
Yeast
1 Nutrient Tablet
Water to 1 gallon

Pour 2 quarts boiling water onto the flowers from which all the leaves,
stalks and green have been removed, and macerate the petals with a wooden
spoon. Stir daily for 4 days.

Dissolve the acid and sugar in 1 quart of boiling water.

Strain the flower water on to the syrup when it is cool and stir in the
grape juice concentrate, tannin, nutrient and yeast, top up with cold boiled
water. Ferment and finish sweet.

Akator

"Tim" > wrote in message
> With spring right around the corner, I seek a good Dandelion Wine Recipe

(as
> detailed as possible.)
>
> Thanks

Stephen SG

Ingredients for 6 US Gallons (23 Litres)

12 pounds (5.5 Kilograms) Dandelions

10 pounds (4.5 Kilograms) Sugar

9 ounces (250 mL) Grape Concentrate

2½ teaspoons Acid Blend

2½ teaspoons Pectic Enzyme

3 teaspoons Yeast Nutrient

1 teaspoon Tannin

Yeast Lalvin EC1118 - 1 package

Prepare the dandelions by placing inside the nylon straining bag.

In a Food Grade plastic fermenter pour in 2 gallons (7.5 Litres) of warm
water.

Add the dandelions (in the nylon straining bag) to the water.

Add the campden tablets. Cover, and leave for 48 hours.

After 48 hours add the tannin, acid blend, pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient.

Bring the contents of your fermenter to the 6 US gallon (23 Litres) mark
using cool water.

Stir well.

Using your hydrometer and hydrometer test jar check for the desired starting
specific gravity (Specific Gravity). ).

This reading will determine the potential alcohol of your wine (approx.
10.5-11.5% alc/vol).

If mixed properly your Specific Gravity should be between 1.065 and 1.072.

Check the temperature of the wine must (mixture) using your floating
thermometer.

Open the yeast packet and gently sprinkle over the must.

The temperature should be as close to 75-80°F (21–24°C) as possible to
activate the yeast.

Loosely cover the primary fermenter with a plastic lid and place in a warm
area (75-80°F/21–24°C) to maintain a constant temperature for the next few
days.

Fermentation will start within 24–48 hours if the temperature is kept
constant.

Using a mixing spoon or brewing paddle stir the floating cap of fruit pulp
into the fermenting must twice a day during this period.

This will ensure maximum fruit extraction.

When the Specific Gravity reaches 1.005 - 1.010, usually 6 to 8 days, (it
depends on the fermenting temperature; the warmer the temperature the faster
the fermentation) it is time to rack (siphon) the wine into the carboy
(secondary fermenter).

Your must is now referred to as wine because it contains alcohol.

Carefully rack the wine into a clean and sanitized carboy (preferably glass)
using a proper siphon system, leaving all the fruit pulp behind.

Prepare your residual fruit pulp for juice extraction.

Sterilize the muslin straining bag with sulphite solution then rinse well.

Place the fruit pulp in the muslin bag to squeeze out the excess juice.

Add this excess fruit juice to your carboy.

Discard the spent fruit pulp. If the wine level is not within 2 inches (5
centimetres) of the top of the carboy neck use some white, rose or red wine
(use the same colour as your must) to top up the carboy air space.

Never use water to top up a fruit wine; it will dilute the body and flavour
of your wine.

It is important to reduce the amount of air space in the carboy so as to
minimize oxidation (a slightly bitter taste caused by prolonged exposure to
oxygen).

Sterilize your airlock and rubber bung.

Fill the airlock with a neutral solution (preferably sulphite) or water and
insert the airlock and bung into the carboy neck opening.

Leave the carboy at a temperature between 75-80°F (21–24°C) for a further
18-20 days to finish fermentation.

After 18 days, check the Specific Gravity. You should get a reading of 1.000
or less.

If the Specific Gravity is above 1.000 allow a few more days of fermentation
and then check the Specific Gravity again.

Bru-Berries fruit wines finish medium-dry.

To make a sweet wine add a commercially prepared Wine Sweetener &
Conditioner to your wine just prior to bottling.