Joe Ae

Default pouring wine?

It seems more convenient when bottling from individual gallons to pour the
wine instead of siphoning? Is there a problem with too much oxygen exposure
when doing this for small batches?

Thanks
Joe

Ray

Pouring will cause aeration, not just air contact. That is very rough
handling. I would not say it will ruin your wine and it may depend on the
level of sulfite you have in the wine, but I would not recommend it. I
would imagine bottle shock would last much longer.

Also, when pouring with a funnel, it is easy to have a run over. If you use
a filling wand with the automatic cut off valve on the bottom, it is much
less likely and you get no splashing. They are cheap. If you do not have
one, I recommend that you get one.

Ray

"Joe Ae" > wrote in message
. ..
> It seems more convenient when bottling from individual gallons to pour the
> wine instead of siphoning? Is there a problem with too much oxygen

exposure
> when doing this for small batches?
>
> Thanks
> Joe

Ben Rotter

> It seems more convenient when bottling from individual gallons to pour the
> wine instead of siphoning? Is there a problem with too much oxygen exposure
> when doing this for small batches?

Yes, you will risk exposing the wine to a lot of O2 this way leading
to increased bottle shock and a potential loss of aromatics.

Siphoning is better. Sparging your receiving vessel with CO2 and
syphoning is even better still.

Ben
Joe Ae

I have several hoses and attachments including a filling wand. They work
fine when bottling from djs and the like but I don't have the right one for
gallons and I always end up spilling a little.
I was hoping if I am careful and pour while tilting the funnel so the wine
doesn't splash but it sounds like even that will cause too much aeration.
Time to go shopping.

thanks

Joe

"Ray" > wrote in message
om...
> Pouring will cause aeration, not just air contact. That is very rough
> handling. I would not say it will ruin your wine and it may depend on the
> level of sulfite you have in the wine, but I would not recommend it. I
> would imagine bottle shock would last much longer.
>
> Also, when pouring with a funnel, it is easy to have a run over. If you

use
> a filling wand with the automatic cut off valve on the bottom, it is much
> less likely and you get no splashing. They are cheap. If you do not have
> one, I recommend that you get one.
>
> Ray
>
> "Joe Ae" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > It seems more convenient when bottling from individual gallons to pour

the
> > wine instead of siphoning? Is there a problem with too much oxygen

> exposure
> > when doing this for small batches?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Joe

WorldsWorst

I often pour the wine just to save time and I don't think its ruined any
batches - other people's experiences might differ - but at the end of the
day give it a go and live dangerously!

. ..