Erroll Ozgencil

Default You know you're a winemaker when ...

I noticed that Dole juice concentrates were on sale, the other day.
You know, the blends like pine-orange-banana, orange-peach-mango,
and so forth. The second thing that came to mind was, "Great, my
favorite breakfast juice is on sale!" My *first* thought was, "I
wonder how that will ferment?"

Erroll
A.J. Rawls

They make great social wines... :-)

My kids like all of them but they really really like the
Pine-Orange-Banana. I use the recipe on Jack Keller's site for Welch
juices but I start them in an open primaty because they leave a large
layer of lees.

Later,
A.J. Rawls
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

On 20 Mar 2004 18:19:38 -0800, (Erroll Ozgencil)
wrote:

>I noticed that Dole juice concentrates were on sale, the other day.
>You know, the blends like pine-orange-banana, orange-peach-mango,
>and so forth. The second thing that came to mind was, "Great, my
>favorite breakfast juice is on sale!" My *first* thought was, "I
>wonder how that will ferment?"
>
>Erroll

PA-ter

You can make really good wine out of such juices. Sometime try orange
juice, I have a recipe that uses frozen concentrate that is amazing.
But I thought when I read this topic, I would see something like (and
these are real) You know your a winemaker if.... your wife ever hadda
yell at you for all the carbouys bubbling the kitchen or You know your
a winemaker if... she also yelled about the strawberrys stuck to the
kitchen ceiling. You know you like making wine if you use champagne
yeast to bake with or have a 60 gallon barrel of apple wine right next
to the clothes dryer in the basement (really not a bad idea as
fermentation goes a little quicker with every load of wash) etc., etc.
Anybody got any gooders they'd like to share??? Good luck.
Don S

> You can make really good wine out of such juices. Sometime try orange
> juice, I have a recipe that uses frozen concentrate that is amazing.

Post the orange juice recipe? Is it dry?

Don
Greg Cook

On 3/22/04 6:15 PM, in article
, "Don S"
> wrote:

>> You can make really good wine out of such juices. Sometime try orange
>> juice, I have a recipe that uses frozen concentrate that is amazing.

> Post the orange juice recipe? Is it dry?
>
> Don

I made an orange melomel that turned out really nice. Here's my details:

Orange Melomel

10/18/2003

~11.5 pounds of clover and wildflower honey
four 16 oz cans of frozen orange concentrate
4 gallons of water
8 tsp tartaric acid
10 g fermaid
1/4 tsp tannin

Mixed well. SG (a little warm) measured 1.088. About 3 cups of the must was
taken out and inoculated with KV-1116 yeast to prepare a yeast starter. 2 g
pot. meta was added to the must.

Note about the honey * most of this is old honey that has been sitting here
for about two years. About 2 pounds is a commercial clover honey, 6 pounds
of ND clover from two years ago that had trouble fermenting out. About 3
pounds is a wildflower honey from ND.

10/19/2003 pectinase added in the morning. Working starter was added in the
afternoon.

10/22/2003 SG 1.040 * transferred to a 6 gallon carboy. Over 5 gallons.

11/1/03 SG 0.999 * racked into 5 gallon carboy.

1/24/2004 SG 0.997. Becoming very clear. Racked into 5 gal carboy * 2.5 g
sulfite. Topped up with about 2/3 bottle of citrus wine.

3/7/2004 SG 0.997 * TA ~0.9 (note still some CO2 in it?). filtered through
#3 filters. 1.5 g sulfite added. Bottled into 24 bottles. Alcohol 12%.

PA-ter

Gimme a day or so, gotta find the book it's in. Pretty sure where it
is but you know how that is.