Steve Thompson

Default Secondary transfer...

Hi, I'm making my first wine kit, have made beer and wine for years.

The kit is a 23 liter Australian Cabernet, now about 7 days in the primary
and fermenting well. According to the instructions, I need to transfer the
primary to a 23L carboy to avoid spoilage from too much air in the
headspace. Now, my 23L is tied up with a med dry mead, I do have a 25L
carboy ready to go... will my wine get oxidized in the secondary if I
transfer and place an airlock on it?

I'm thinking that the concentration of CO2 produced during the secondary
process should not allow oxidation to occur.

Any opinions?

Steve

K. B.

"Steve Thompson" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm making my first wine kit, have made beer and wine for years.
>
> The kit is a 23 liter Australian Cabernet, now about 7 days in the primary
> and fermenting well. According to the instructions, I need to transfer the
> primary to a 23L carboy to avoid spoilage from too much air in the
> headspace. Now, my 23L is tied up with a med dry mead, I do have a 25L
> carboy ready to go... will my wine get oxidized in the secondary if I
> transfer and place an airlock on it?
>
> I'm thinking that the concentration of CO2 produced during the secondary
> process should not allow oxidation to occur.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Steve

Steve, you are correct, the CO2 will displace the air. It is surprising
how much fermentation and airlock bubbling still goes on. Good luck on your
first wine!

KB

Steve Thompson

"K. B." > wrote in message
m...

> > I'm thinking that the concentration of CO2 produced during the secondary
> > process should not allow oxidation to occur.
> >
> > Any opinions?

> Steve, you are correct, the CO2 will displace the air. It is surprising
> how much fermentation and airlock bubbling still goes on. Good luck on

your
> first wine!

Thank you for your post... I'll report back on this one.

I'm sure it's been asked, anyone have any recommendations on Cabernet wine
kits? My wife and I like the more robust slightly dry, cabernet wines...

Steve

K.J.Kristiansen

And you are thinking correctly!

However, as the CO2 production reduces it is strongly recommended to
top your 25L up. Bacteria likes (depend) on surfaces (and mostly air)
to multiply. Thats another reason for minimising the liquid/air
surface.

"Steve Thompson" > wrote in message >...
> Hi, I'm making my first wine kit, have made beer and wine for years.
>
> The kit is a 23 liter Australian Cabernet, now about 7 days in the primary
> and fermenting well. According to the instructions, I need to transfer the
> primary to a 23L carboy to avoid spoilage from too much air in the
> headspace. Now, my 23L is tied up with a med dry mead, I do have a 25L
> carboy ready to go... will my wine get oxidized in the secondary if I
> transfer and place an airlock on it?
>
> I'm thinking that the concentration of CO2 produced during the secondary
> process should not allow oxidation to occur.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Steve

Steve Thompson

Do you think if I added +2L of water (to increase the volume from 23 to 25L)
that the dilution would be noticeable?

Steve

"K.J.Kristiansen" > wrote in message
om...
> And you are thinking correctly!
>
> However, as the CO2 production reduces it is strongly recommended to
> top your 25L up. Bacteria likes (depend) on surfaces (and mostly air)
> to multiply. Thats another reason for minimising the liquid/air
> surface.
>
> "Steve Thompson" > wrote in message

> > Hi, I'm making my first wine kit, have made beer and wine for years.
> >
> > The kit is a 23 liter Australian Cabernet, now about 7 days in the

primary
> > and fermenting well. According to the instructions, I need to transfer

the
> > primary to a 23L carboy to avoid spoilage from too much air in the
> > headspace. Now, my 23L is tied up with a med dry mead, I do have a 25L
> > carboy ready to go... will my wine get oxidized in the secondary if I
> > transfer and place an airlock on it?
> >
> > I'm thinking that the concentration of CO2 produced during the secondary
> > process should not allow oxidation to occur.
> >
> > Any opinions?
> >
> > Steve

Lum

"Steve Thompson" > wrote in message
> Do you think if I added +2L of water (to increase the volume from 23 to

25L)
> that the dilution would be noticeable?
>
> Steve

Steve,
2 in 23 L is about 8%, and an 8% water addition would be noticeable in most
wines. Why not purchase 2 L of an inexpensive, commercial wine and top up
with that? The poorest quality commercial wine will change the character of
your wine much less than a 8% water addition.
lum

Steve Thompson

> 2 in 23 L is about 8%, and an 8% water addition would be noticeable in
most
> wines. Why not purchase 2 L of an inexpensive, commercial wine and top up
> with that? The poorest quality commercial wine will change the character

of
> your wine much less than a 8% water addition.

Excellent suggestion! Thank you.

Steve