FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Floating lid tanks and sur lie aging. (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/26539-floating-lid-tanks-sur.html)

bob 06-02-2004 01:08 PM

Floating lid tanks and sur lie aging.

How do you stir the lees or stir in bentonite on in a floating lid
tank without exposing the wine to too much oxygen? Do I need to use
gas like Tom S. suggested or would sufficient leveles of sulfite
suffice? According to Margalit's Winery Handbook he says acetelhyde
can form even if the sulfite levels are high in white wine when
exposed to oxygen. Anyone here have ant experience in making white
wine in floating lid tanks?

TIA,

Bob

Aaron Puhala 07-02-2004 07:10 PM

Floating lid tanks and sur lie aging.

I bought a Magnetic Stirrer which stirs a conainer via magnetic coupling and
spinning magnetic stir-bar inside the container. I have some 2003 Viognier
where I've prevented ML and has been stirring Sur Lie for the past 2 months
continuously with no opening of the carboy. If you can manage to get a
magnetic stirrer to work with your setup, you can eliminate the oxidation
worry, just keep reduction in mind!

CHEERS!

Aaron

om...

Brian Lundeen 09-02-2004 02:29 PM

"Aaron Puhala" > wrote in message
> I bought a Magnetic Stirrer which stirs a conainer via magnetic coupling

and
> spinning magnetic stir-bar inside the container.

You fool! Don't you realize the magnetic field will cause premature aging of
your wine? ;-)

Brian

Aaron Puhala 10-02-2004 12:59 AM

Floating lid tanks and sur lie aging.

Used large-platform magnetic stirrer - $25
Large teflon coated stir-bar, surpluss - $3
Realizing you prematurely aged your wine via induced dipole-dipole
paramagnetic excitation....... PRICELESS!

CHEERS ! ;~ }

Joe Ae 10-02-2004 01:17 AM

Floating lid tanks and sur lie aging.

"Brian Lundeen" > wrote in message

> "Aaron Puhala" > wrote in message
> > I bought a Magnetic Stirrer which stirs a conainer via magnetic coupling

> and
> > spinning magnetic stir-bar inside the container.

> You fool! Don't you realize the magnetic field will cause premature aging

of
> your wine? ;-)
>
> Brian

The stainless steel ions should negate any negative magnetic aging effects.

Joe

MikeMTM 10-02-2004 10:45 PM

Joe Ae wrote:

> The stainless steel ions should negate any negative magnetic aging effects.
>

> Joe

Hmmm... "negate the negative"... Lesssee, a double negative...
Does that mean that there's a _positive_ effect from this? ;-)
Oh, I get it. Now we need something to fine out the positive ions?

;-) Mike MTM