Pete

Default Help finishing off chardonnay

In October I purchased 12 gallons of chardonnay juice direct from
California. It was shipped 30° F

I fermented this to 1.010 then racked to secondaries.
I added SO2 and french oak
Took an acid reading, it needed no adjustment.

Since the end of October it has been sittinging in these secondaries.
(2 5 gallon sealed corny kegs)
Every other day I was bleading the CO2 from them.
These are stored in the cool garage.

Since December when the temp dropped, there has been no more CO2
bleed-off.

I looked at it today.
It is clear and has a good taste.
I took an SO2, it was 17ppm

My questions...

I was thinking of fining, sulfite and racking the wine. In
preparation for bottling in the spring.

This would also include trying to get all the Co2 out of solution.

What should I use for finning?
I have bentonite, sparkaloid and polycar. Any prefference for a dry
chardonnay?

I will be racking these back into corny kegs, any suggestions to free
up the Co2?

Should I place them back in the cold garage?

Should I adjust the SO2?

Anything else I should do??

thanks

Aaron Puhala

What was your starting Brix?

"Pete" > wrote in message
> In October I purchased 12 gallons of chardonnay juice direct from
> California. It was shipped 30° F
>
> I fermented this to 1.010 then racked to secondaries.
> I added SO2 and french oak
> Took an acid reading, it needed no adjustment.
>
> Since the end of October it has been sittinging in these secondaries.
> (2 5 gallon sealed corny kegs)
> Every other day I was bleading the CO2 from them.
> These are stored in the cool garage.
>
> Since December when the temp dropped, there has been no more CO2
> bleed-off.
>
> I looked at it today.
> It is clear and has a good taste.
> I took an SO2, it was 17ppm
>
> My questions...
>
> I was thinking of fining, sulfite and racking the wine. In
> preparation for bottling in the spring.
>
> This would also include trying to get all the Co2 out of solution.
>
> What should I use for finning?
> I have bentonite, sparkaloid and polycar. Any prefference for a dry
> chardonnay?
>
> I will be racking these back into corny kegs, any suggestions to free
> up the Co2?
>
> Should I place them back in the cold garage?
>
> Should I adjust the SO2?
>
> Anything else I should do??
>
> thanks

Pete

1.094

Looks like it has 12.5%

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:34:32 GMT, "Aaron Puhala" >
wrote:

>What was your starting Brix?
>
>"Pete" > wrote in message
.. .
>> In October I purchased 12 gallons of chardonnay juice direct from
>> California. It was shipped 30° F
>>
>> I fermented this to 1.010 then racked to secondaries.
>> I added SO2 and french oak
>> Took an acid reading, it needed no adjustment.
>>
>> Since the end of October it has been sittinging in these secondaries.
>> (2 5 gallon sealed corny kegs)
>> Every other day I was bleading the CO2 from them.
>> These are stored in the cool garage.
>>
>> Since December when the temp dropped, there has been no more CO2
>> bleed-off.
>>
>> I looked at it today.
>> It is clear and has a good taste.
>> I took an SO2, it was 17ppm
>>
>> My questions...
>>
>> I was thinking of fining, sulfite and racking the wine. In
>> preparation for bottling in the spring.
>>
>> This would also include trying to get all the Co2 out of solution.
>>
>> What should I use for finning?
>> I have bentonite, sparkaloid and polycar. Any prefference for a dry
>> chardonnay?
>>
>> I will be racking these back into corny kegs, any suggestions to free
>> up the Co2?
>>
>> Should I place them back in the cold garage?
>>
>> Should I adjust the SO2?
>>
>> Anything else I should do??
>>
>> thanks

Tom S

"Pete" > wrote in message
> In October I purchased 12 gallons of chardonnay juice direct from
> California. It was shipped 30° F
>
> I fermented this to 1.010 then racked to secondaries.
> I added SO2 and french oak
> Took an acid reading, it needed no adjustment.
>
> Since the end of October it has been sitting in these secondaries.
> (2 5 gallon sealed corny kegs)
> Every other day I was bleading the CO2 from them.
> These are stored in the cool garage.
>
> Since December when the temp dropped, there has been no more CO2
> bleed-off.
>
> I looked at it today.
> It is clear and has a good taste.
> I took an SO2, it was 17ppm
>
> My questions...
>
> I was thinking of fining, sulfite and racking the wine. In
> preparation for bottling in the spring.
>
> This would also include trying to get all the Co2 out of solution.
>
> What should I use for fining?
> I have bentonite, sparkaloid and polyclar. Any preference for a dry
> chardonnay?

Bentonite for heat stability, Kieselsohl to counterfine the bentonite and
(optionally) either isinglass or gelatin to (a) improve the mouthfeel and
(b) help with the clarification. Then, chill it to cold stabilize and
"nail" the finings to the bottom before racking from the fining lees.

> I will be racking these back into corny kegs, any suggestions to free
> up the Co2?

A Fizz-X is supposed to work well for that. Just leaving it at cellar
temperature under airlock for 6 months is supposed to work too.

This is where it's nice working in barrels. The partial vacuum formed in
them between toppings degasses them quite effectively.

> Should I place them back in the cold garage?

At fining, yes.

> Should I adjust the SO2?

Definitely!

> Anything else I should do??

Measure the pH so you can judge how much free SO2 you need. As a rule of
thumb, the two digits to the right of the decimal point is the approximate
ppm of free SO2 you need. E.g., at pH 3.30 you need 30 ppm free; at pH
3.60 you need 60 ppm, etc.

Tom S

Pete

So here is the plan...

Rack off the oak and lees to clean corny's

Add bentonite (should I reduce the quantity since the wine is clear
now?)

Add SO2 per the wine PH

Place back in the cold garage for the duration of winter.

When it starts to warm up, place airlocks on my corny's

Bottle in April (do I SO2 again before bottling? Or do I add it
direct to the bottling bucket?)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 03:13:16 GMT, "Tom S" >
wrote:

>"Pete" > wrote in message
.. .
>> In October I purchased 12 gallons of chardonnay juice direct from
>> California. It was shipped 30° F
>>
>> I fermented this to 1.010 then racked to secondaries.
>> I added SO2 and french oak
>> Took an acid reading, it needed no adjustment.
>>
>> Since the end of October it has been sitting in these secondaries.
>> (2 5 gallon sealed corny kegs)
>> Every other day I was bleading the CO2 from them.
>> These are stored in the cool garage.
>>
>> Since December when the temp dropped, there has been no more CO2
>> bleed-off.
>>
>> I looked at it today.
>> It is clear and has a good taste.
>> I took an SO2, it was 17ppm
>>
>> My questions...
>>
>> I was thinking of fining, sulfite and racking the wine. In
>> preparation for bottling in the spring.
>>
>> This would also include trying to get all the Co2 out of solution.
>>
>> What should I use for fining?
>> I have bentonite, sparkaloid and polyclar. Any preference for a dry
>> chardonnay?

>Bentonite for heat stability, Kieselsohl to counterfine the bentonite and
>(optionally) either isinglass or gelatin to (a) improve the mouthfeel and
>(b) help with the clarification. Then, chill it to cold stabilize and
>"nail" the finings to the bottom before racking from the fining lees.
>
>> I will be racking these back into corny kegs, any suggestions to free
>> up the Co2?

>A Fizz-X is supposed to work well for that. Just leaving it at cellar
>temperature under airlock for 6 months is supposed to work too.
>
>This is where it's nice working in barrels. The partial vacuum formed in
>them between toppings degasses them quite effectively.
>
>> Should I place them back in the cold garage?

>At fining, yes.
>
>> Should I adjust the SO2?

>Definitely!
>
>> Anything else I should do??

>Measure the pH so you can judge how much free SO2 you need. As a rule of
>thumb, the two digits to the right of the decimal point is the approximate
>ppm of free SO2 you need. E.g., at pH 3.30 you need 30 ppm free; at pH
>3.60 you need 60 ppm, etc.
>
>Tom S

Tom S

"Pete" > wrote in message
> So here is the plan...
>
> Rack off the oak and lees to clean corny's
>
> Add bentonite (should I reduce the quantity since the wine is clear
> now?)

About 2 lbs bentonite/1000 gallons is a light fining. That should be
sufficient. I recommend that you also add about 1 lb Kieselsohl/1000 gal.

Be sure to properly hydrate the bentonite before adding it to the wine. A
blender and hot water works well for that. 50 grams/liter is about the
right proportion. After blenderizing, let it stand for at least a day to
assure that it is completely hydrated. Then shake it up and add it slowly
to the wine with continuous stirring.

> Add SO2 per the wine PH
>
> Place back in the cold garage for the duration of winter.
>
> When it starts to warm up, place airlocks on my corny's

If the wine is dry, degassed and finished with ML there's no reason not to
top it up and bung it tight. IOW, no airlock.

> Bottle in April (do I SO2 again before bottling? Or do I add it
> direct to the bottling bucket?)

The free SO2 should still be the same as it was last time you checked it,
but there's no reason not to check it again.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bottling bucket", but it sounds like it
involves unnecessary exposure to air. If you have a steady hand, you should
be able to bottle right off the fining lees. Just be careful not to disturb
the lees with the siphon. A racking cane with one of those little plastic
flow redirectors on the end is useful for this operation.

If your technique isn't so good, you should probably rack off the finings
into a carboy for bottling from that.

Tom S

Pete

I need the airlocks to purge the co2 from the wine.

It is in the cold garage and saturated with co2 now.

I need to get rid of this.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:24:35 GMT, "Tom S" >
wrote:

>"Pete" > wrote in message
.. .
>> So here is the plan...
>>
>> Rack off the oak and lees to clean corny's
>>
>> Add bentonite (should I reduce the quantity since the wine is clear
>> now?)

>About 2 lbs bentonite/1000 gallons is a light fining. That should be
>sufficient. I recommend that you also add about 1 lb Kieselsohl/1000 gal.
>
>Be sure to properly hydrate the bentonite before adding it to the wine. A
>blender and hot water works well for that. 50 grams/liter is about the
>right proportion. After blenderizing, let it stand for at least a day to
>assure that it is completely hydrated. Then shake it up and add it slowly
>to the wine with continuous stirring.
>
>> Add SO2 per the wine PH
>>
>> Place back in the cold garage for the duration of winter.
>>
>> When it starts to warm up, place airlocks on my corny's

>If the wine is dry, degassed and finished with ML there's no reason not to
>top it up and bung it tight. IOW, no airlock.
>
>> Bottle in April (do I SO2 again before bottling? Or do I add it
>> direct to the bottling bucket?)

>The free SO2 should still be the same as it was last time you checked it,
>but there's no reason not to check it again.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by "bottling bucket", but it sounds like it
>involves unnecessary exposure to air. If you have a steady hand, you should
>be able to bottle right off the fining lees. Just be careful not to disturb
>the lees with the siphon. A racking cane with one of those little plastic
>flow redirectors on the end is useful for this operation.
>
>If your technique isn't so good, you should probably rack off the finings
>into a carboy for bottling from that.
>
>Tom S

Lum

Pete, how does using fermentation locks purge carbon dioxide from your
wines?

"Pete" > wrote in message
> I need the airlocks to purge the co2 from the wine.
>
> It is in the cold garage and saturated with co2 now.
>
> I need to get rid of this.
>

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:24:35 GMT, "Tom S" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Pete" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> So here is the plan...
> >>
> >> Rack off the oak and lees to clean corny's
> >>
> >> Add bentonite (should I reduce the quantity since the wine is clear
> >> now?)

> >About 2 lbs bentonite/1000 gallons is a light fining. That should be
> >sufficient. I recommend that you also add about 1 lb Kieselsohl/1000

gal.

> >Be sure to properly hydrate the bentonite before adding it to the wine.

> >blender and hot water works well for that. 50 grams/liter is about the
> >right proportion. After blenderizing, let it stand for at least a day to
> >assure that it is completely hydrated. Then shake it up and add it

slowly
> >to the wine with continuous stirring.
> >
> >> Add SO2 per the wine PH
> >>
> >> Place back in the cold garage for the duration of winter.
> >>
> >> When it starts to warm up, place airlocks on my corny's

> >If the wine is dry, degassed and finished with ML there's no reason not

> >top it up and bung it tight. IOW, no airlock.
> >
> >> Bottle in April (do I SO2 again before bottling? Or do I add it
> >> direct to the bottling bucket?)

> >The free SO2 should still be the same as it was last time you checked it,
> >but there's no reason not to check it again.
> >
> >I'm not sure what you mean by "bottling bucket", but it sounds like it
> >involves unnecessary exposure to air. If you have a steady hand, you

should
> >be able to bottle right off the fining lees. Just be careful not to

disturb
> >the lees with the siphon. A racking cane with one of those little

plastic
> >flow redirectors on the end is useful for this operation.
> >
> >If your technique isn't so good, you should probably rack off the finings
> >into a carboy for bottling from that.
> >
> >Tom S

Pete

It is currently in sealed SS corny kegs.

I would assume as the temp warms with an airlock, the CO2 would release.

Thats how I do my beer...

"Lum" > wrote in message >...
> Pete, how does using fermentation locks purge carbon dioxide from your
> wines?
>
> "Pete" > wrote in message
> > I need the airlocks to purge the co2 from the wine.
> >
> > It is in the cold garage and saturated with co2 now.
> >
> > I need to get rid of this.
> >

> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:24:35 GMT, "Tom S" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"Pete" > wrote in message
> > .. .

> > >About 2 lbs bentonite/1000 gallons is a light fining. That should be
> > >sufficient. I recommend that you also add about 1 lb Kieselsohl/1000

> gal.
> > >
> > >Be sure to properly hydrate the bentonite before adding it to the wine.

> > >blender and hot water works well for that. 50 grams/liter is about the
> > >right proportion. After blenderizing, let it stand for at least a day to
> > >assure that it is completely hydrated. Then shake it up and add it

> slowly
> > >to the wine with continuous stirring.

> > >If the wine is dry, degassed and finished with ML there's no reason not

> > >top it up and bung it tight. IOW, no airlock.

> > >The free SO2 should still be the same as it was last time you checked it,
> > >but there's no reason not to check it again.
> > >
> > >I'm not sure what you mean by "bottling bucket", but it sounds like it
> > >involves unnecessary exposure to air. If you have a steady hand, you

> should
> > >be able to bottle right off the fining lees. Just be careful not to

> disturb
> > >the lees with the siphon. A racking cane with one of those little

> plastic
> > >flow redirectors on the end is useful for this operation.
> > >
> > >If your technique isn't so good, you should probably rack off the finings
> > >into a carboy for bottling from that.
> > >
> > >Tom S

Lum

Sounds reasonable Pete. It just takes a bit of time.
Regards,
lum

"Pete" > wrote in message
m...
> It is currently in sealed SS corny kegs.
>
> I would assume as the temp warms with an airlock, the CO2 would release.
>
> Thats how I do my beer...
>
> "Lum" > wrote in message

> > Pete, how does using fermentation locks purge carbon dioxide from your
> > wines?
> >
> > "Pete" > wrote in message
> > > I need the airlocks to purge the co2 from the wine.
> > >
> > > It is in the cold garage and saturated with co2 now.
> > >
> > > I need to get rid of this.

> > > .. .

clear

> > gal.

wine.

the

day to

> > slowly

not

it,

it

> > should

> > disturb

> > plastic

finings

skin up or down when finishing Nonnymus[_5_] Barbecue 0 06-10-2007 10:53 PM
Finishing Rolling Pin [email protected] General Cooking 31 17-04-2007 04:52 AM
I'm finishing up the Biscotti... King's Crown General Cooking 1 25-12-2006 02:09 AM
Finishing Strawberry Mike Winemaking 4 10-06-2004 02:36 AM
finishing questions Dan Winemaking 7 23-01-2004 07:01 PM