Willie

Default Racking and air contamination

Hello,

It's my first wine batch.

I'm about to rack my wine in another carboy. I have a big sediment and the
new carboy will not be full. Everyone tells to complete the space wiht
sterilized water. I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of
wine. This looks like a great idea. Is it? May I spoil something if I do
that?

Thanks

Tom S

"Willie" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> It's my first wine batch.
>
> I'm about to rack my wine in another carboy. I have a big sediment and the
> new carboy will not be full. Everyone tells to complete the space wiht
> sterilized water. I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of
> wine. This looks like a great idea. Is it? May I spoil something if I do
> that?

No, but have you considered getting a smaller carboy? Home wine shops have
them in various sizes, and some combination of that plus smaller
bottles/jugs will allow you to keep the wine topped up so that it doesn't
spoil.

Tom S

WorldsWorst

As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are going
to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked' as
it'll spoil the whole lot!!!
"Willie" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> It's my first wine batch.
>
> I'm about to rack my wine in another carboy. I have a big sediment and the
> new carboy will not be full. Everyone tells to complete the space wiht
> sterilized water. I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of
> wine. This looks like a great idea. Is it? May I spoil something if I do
> that?
>
> Thanks

R-D-C

Heck, will it?

I have been topping up with wine.

"WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
> As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
> going
> to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked' as
> it'll spoil the whole lot!!!
> "Willie" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> It's my first wine batch.
>>
>> I'm about to rack my wine in another carboy. I have a big sediment and
>> the
>> new carboy will not be full. Everyone tells to complete the space wiht
>> sterilized water. I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of
>> wine. This looks like a great idea. Is it? May I spoil something if I do
>> that?
>>
>> Thanks

R-D-C

Heck, will it?

I have been topping up with wine.

"WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
> As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
> going
> to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked' as
> it'll spoil the whole lot!!!
> "Willie" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> It's my first wine batch.
>>
>> I'm about to rack my wine in another carboy. I have a big sediment and
>> the
>> new carboy will not be full. Everyone tells to complete the space wiht
>> sterilized water. I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of
>> wine. This looks like a great idea. Is it? May I spoil something if I do
>> that?
>>
>> Thanks

Stephen SG

Do you have any good books on winemaking,

Stephen SG
"R-D-C" > wrote in message
| Heck, will it?
|
| I have been topping up with wine.
|
| "WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
| > As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
| > going
| > to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked'
as
| > it'll spoil the whole lot!!!
| > "Willie" > wrote in message
| >> Hello,
| >>
| >> It's my first wine batch.
| >>
| >> I'm about to rack my wine in another carboy. I have a big sediment and
| >> the
| >> new carboy will not be full. Everyone tells to complete the space wiht
| >> sterilized water. I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of
| >> wine. This looks like a great idea. Is it? May I spoil something if I
do
| >> that?
| >>
| >> Thanks

Stephen SG

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
| Heck, will it?
|
| I have been topping up with wine.
|
| "WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
| > As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
| > going
| > to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked'
as
| > it'll spoil the whole lot!!!
| > "Willie" > wrote in message
| >> Hello,
| >>
| >> It's my first wine batch.
| >>
| >> I'm about to rack my wine in another carboy. I have a big sediment and
| >> the
| >> new carboy will not be full. Everyone tells to complete the space wiht
| >> sterilized water. I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of
| >> wine. This looks like a great idea. Is it? May I spoil something if I
do
| >> that?
| >>
| >> Thanks

R-D-C

I have CJJ Berry's First Steps in Winemaking.

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> Do you have any good books on winemaking,
>
> Stephen SG
> "R-D-C" > wrote in message
> | Heck, will it?
> |
> | I have been topping up with wine.
> |
> | "WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
> | > As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
> | > going
> | > to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked'
> as
> | > it'll spoil the whole lot!!!

> and
> wiht
> of
> do

R-D-C

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> Do you have any good books on winemaking,
>
> Stephen SG
> "R-D-C" > wrote in message
> | Heck, will it?
> |
> | I have been topping up with wine.
> |
> | "WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
> | > As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
> | > going
> | > to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked'
> as
> | > it'll spoil the whole lot!!!

> and
> wiht
> of
> do

B0B

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> Heck, will it?
>
> I have been topping up with wine.
>
> "WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
> > As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
> > going
> > to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked'

as
> > it'll spoil the whole lot!!!
> > "Willie" > wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> It's my first wine batch.
> >>
> >> I'm about to rack my wine in another carboy. I have a big sediment and
> >> the
> >> new carboy will not be full. Everyone tells to complete the space wiht
> >> sterilized water.

Don't recall why, but this is supposed to be a very bad idea.

I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of
> >> wine. This looks like a great idea. Is it? May I spoil something if I

do
> >> that?

As long as the wines complement each other and they are both stable, you
should be fine IMO.

> >> Thanks

B0B

"R-D-C" > wrote in message
> Heck, will it?
>
> I have been topping up with wine.
>
> "WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
> > As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
> > going
> > to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked'

as
> > it'll spoil the whole lot!!!
> > "Willie" > wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> It's my first wine batch.
> >>
> >> I'm about to rack my wine in another carboy. I have a big sediment and
> >> the
> >> new carboy will not be full. Everyone tells to complete the space wiht
> >> sterilized water.

Don't recall why, but this is supposed to be a very bad idea.

I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of
> >> wine. This looks like a great idea. Is it? May I spoil something if I

do
> >> that?

As long as the wines complement each other and they are both stable, you
should be fine IMO.

> >> Thanks

R-D-C

Phew!

:-)

"B0B" > wrote in message

> "R-D-C" > wrote in message
>> Heck, will it?
>>
>> I have been topping up with wine.
>>
>> "WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
>> > As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
>> > going
>> > to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked'

> as
>> > it'll spoil the whole lot!!!

> Don't recall why, but this is supposed to be a very bad idea.
>
> I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of

> do

> As long as the wines complement each other and they are both stable,
> you
> should be fine IMO.

R-D-C

Phew!

:-)

"B0B" > wrote in message

> "R-D-C" > wrote in message
>> Heck, will it?
>>
>> I have been topping up with wine.
>>
>> "WorldsWorst" > wrote in message
>> > As Tom S said, a smaller carbouy is a good move - however - if you are
>> > going
>> > to top up, this will be ok but do check that this wine is not 'corked'

> as
>> > it'll spoil the whole lot!!!

> Don't recall why, but this is supposed to be a very bad idea.
>
> I heard someone was dooing that with a good bottle of

> do

> As long as the wines complement each other and they are both stable,
> you
> should be fine IMO.

Stephen SG

It's a start

Stephen SG
"R-D-C" > wrote in message
|I have CJJ Berry's First Steps in Winemaking.
|
| "Stephen SG" > wrote in message
| > Do you have any good books on winemaking,
| >
| > Stephen SG
| > "R-D-C" > wrote in message
| > | Heck, will it?
| > |
| > | I have been topping up with wine.
| > |
| > as

| > and
| > wiht
| > of
| > do

| > |
| > |

cross contamination padriac Sourdough 8 31-05-2012 01:46 AM
barrel contamination?? [email protected] Winemaking 1 22-10-2006 04:20 AM
Contamination? el Carterro Winemaking 3 10-08-2005 06:48 PM
Starter contamination? Samartha Deva Sourdough 0 21-05-2005 05:00 AM
Well water contamination kr0 General 0 10-03-2005 07:32 PM