Paul E. Lehmann

Default Sugar and Fruit Wines

I am thinking of doing a trial batch of apple wine using pure juice and
bringing up the sugar content to the desired brix using frozen concentrate
instead of sugar. Has anyone ever tried this approach with fruit wines?

Greg Cook

On 11/21/03 7:47 AM, in article , "Paul E.
Lehmann" > wrote:

> I am thinking of doing a trial batch of apple wine using pure juice and
> bringing up the sugar content to the desired brix using frozen concentrate
> instead of sugar. Has anyone ever tried this approach with fruit wines?

Well, I have sweetened a port using frozen grape concentrate and that turned
out well. I think your plan should give great results. I find apple wine a
little thin anyway -- sweetening with an apple concentrate should provide
more flavor. Just check your acid levels after you add the concentrate and
adjust accordingly.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Dar V

I have not tried that, but I don't see why it would not work. My only
concern would be if you can get enough sugar from the frozen concentrate to
get to an appropriate alcohol level without adding sugar. If I've
remembered right, I thought I read somewhere that 1 container of frozen
concentrate has enough sugar for 1/2 cup.... I've made wine using frozen
apple concentrate (+sugar), and I've made wine from fruit (+ sugar). I've
also made wine from fruit (+sugar), and added frozen concentrate for body.
The biggest difference between making these is the amount of sugar to add
per gallon to get to an appropriate alcohol level. With just the frozen
concentrate for a 1 gallon recipe, I can add as little as 1 1/2 cups of
sugar for a dry wine at about 11% alcohol by volume. For a 1 gallon fruit
wine with 1 container of frozen concentrate, I still end up adding 5 cups of
sugar to get a 13% alcohol by volume. Maybe I should be asking how much
sugar you think is already in the juice?
Darlene

"Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
> I am thinking of doing a trial batch of apple wine using pure juice and
> bringing up the sugar content to the desired brix using frozen concentrate
> instead of sugar. Has anyone ever tried this approach with fruit wines?

Ray

The only thing I can think of to watch out for would be the acid. The
frozen fruit juices are balanced to give a good acidity for drinking when
they are diluted and remain sweet. Your apple wine may come out on the tart
side, which may be fine. Just something to watch out for. It would be
interesting to know the TA of the starting juice and the TA after sweetening
it.

Ray