Stephen

Default splenda for sugar in wine

Does anyone know if splenda would work in wine? Spenda is sucralose which is
made from sugar.

Greg Cook

On 10/28/03 8:55 PM, in article q_Fnb.52501$Fm2.29568@attbi_s04, "Stephen"
> wrote:

> Does anyone know if splenda would work in wine? Spenda is sucralose which is
> made from sugar.

This has been discussed quite a bit over the last few years and I believe if
you search google for old posts on this topic, you will find a lot.

In a nutshell, most of the artificial sweeteners have one problem or another
when used in wine. From my understanding as a chemist, I believe sucralose
should be the one that would be the most stable. You might want to check if
the commercial product, Splenda, has other ingredients in it that might
cause a problem, but I think pure sucralose should be fine.

One of these days, I'll get around to writing up an article about artificial
sweeteners in wine discussing their chemical stability.

Jack Keller was doing some experiments with splenda a couple years ago. I
wonder if he has more insight on the long term stability now?

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Greg Cook

On 10/29/03 6:05 AM, in article ,
"Greg Cook" > wrote:

> On 10/28/03 8:55 PM, in article q_Fnb.52501$Fm2.29568@attbi_s04, "Stephen"
> > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if splenda would work in wine? Spenda is sucralose which is
>> made from sugar.
>>

> This has been discussed quite a bit over the last few years and I believe if
> you search google for old posts on this topic, you will find a lot.
>
> In a nutshell, most of the artificial sweeteners have one problem or another
> when used in wine. From my understanding as a chemist, I believe sucralose
> should be the one that would be the most stable. You might want to check if
> the commercial product, Splenda, has other ingredients in it that might
> cause a problem, but I think pure sucralose should be fine.
>
> One of these days, I'll get around to writing up an article about artificial
> sweeteners in wine discussing their chemical stability.
>
> Jack Keller was doing some experiments with splenda a couple years ago. I
> wonder if he has more insight on the long term stability now?

By the way, I presume you were asking about using it as a non-fermentable
sweetener? Sucralose is not sugar, but a molecule that looks very much like
a sugar. I don't think the yeast can ferment it.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Warren Place

Splenda works well for sweetening wine, assuming that you don't
have anything that can consume the maltodextrin that the sucralose is
packaged with. It isn't fermentable by yeast or bacteria as far as I
know, and certainly not those microbes that are encountered in normal wine
fermentations.
Warren Place

vincent p. norris

>One of these days, I'll get around to writing up an article about artificial
>sweeteners in wine discussing their chemical stability.

That would be a real service to mankind, Greg. I hope you'll
publish it here, and in the AWS magazine too, if possible.

I use "Equal" when I want to sweeten wine, and have had no problems,
but I know some others have said it won't "keep."

I add it only when serving the wine, or giving it to a friend who
likes sweet wine, so I've had no experience with its keeping
qualities.

vince norris

jim l

"Stephen" > wrote in message news:<q_Fnb.52501$Fm2.29568@attbi_s04>...
> Does anyone know if splenda would work in wine? Spenda is sucralose which is
> made from sugar.

One thing that you can do is to add Welche's _white_ grape juice
concentrate when or after you stabilize the wine. It's flavor is
pretty neutral so you don't have to worry about changing the wine too
much. Not only will it sweeten the wine but it'll help to add some
"body."

Jim L.
vincent p. norris

> One thing that you can do is to add Welche's _white_ grape juice
>concentrate when or after you stabilize the wine. It's flavor is
>pretty neutral so you don't have to worry about changing the wine too
>much. Not only will it sweeten the wine but it'll help to add some
>"body."

That's an interesting idea. But isn't the flavor quite foxy?

Does the juice diminish the wine's clarity?

vince norris