Bill and Ursula Herbert

Default Was "What do you do with your wine" (added some cooking ideas)

Your recipe for pork chops marinated in port wine sounds delightful. I will
definitely try that. Thanks. And keep the recipes coming - all of you. I
enjoy cooking with wine, too.

Ursula
Christiane

I agree about posting recipes with wine. Whether cooking with wine in
the recipe or with a glass in your hand, I know we all enjoy it.
And I made the Brew King Italian Montepulciano kit as my very first,
and after 6 months of bulk ageing and about 3 months in bottle, it is
fantastic. It's a great wine, and if you haven't tried it yet, please
pick up a bottle at your local store.
Or hell, just make your own!
Christiane
Truenorth

Default What do you do with your wine?

Good choice, I made Jack Keller's jalapeno wine and garlic wine for
cooking, my wife loves the jalapeno as a substitute for vodka in a
ceasar. Makes a nice lite drink

Truenorth

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:39:50 GMT, "Dar V" > wrote:

>I'm in the process of making a pepper & herb wine specifically for cooking
>with. I'll be bottling it in about a month.
>Darlene
>
>"Dave Allyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I never thought of cooking with it.... though I had to ask my wife
>> what deglazing was.....
>>
>> Thanks for all the info everyone!
>>

>> On 17 Oct 2003 15:58:31 -0700, (Deadend)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Roger" > wrote in message

ink.net>...

>> >Dave,
>> >
>> >I'm one of those persons that posted in the other thread, "What's
>> >Fermenting?" I do have quite a bit of wine going. One thing that
>> >wasn't mentioned here yet was using wine as an ingredient. I don't eat
>> >out all that much. I cook at home 4-5 nights per week. I don't like
>> >many prepackaged foods, I like making my food myself, as part of my
>> >work is in the food industry, and I see just how much fat,
>> >preservatives and SODIUM goes into the foods that most people eat. I
>> >love to cook with wine. I find that an entire bottle of Sauvignon
>> >Blanc makes for a wonderful Piccatta, and as a side note, I don't use
>> >veal, I go a little healthier and more PC, I use Tilapia, which is
>> >wonderful in this dish. It is a WONDERFUL pairing, and I highly
>> >recommend it. Or, if I'm deglazing a pan, I will use a very liberal
>> >amount of Merlot. Same with a simple roast in the crock pot, I would
>> >dump in a half bottle of Cab, and pour a fresh glass for myself while
>> >it cooks. Or if I had a half bottle of red left over, I use it in
>> >place of some water in recipes. Or if it calls for stock, I use my own
>> >frozen cubed stock reduction and boost the flavor with a little wine
>> >for certain dishes. I get good reviews from my guests, and I think
>> >that it's less about me and more about the ingredients. And, of
>> >course, the WINE.
>> >
>> >Ever try cooking this way with a commercial wines? I don't know about
>> >you, but I didn't feel like I had the "freedom" (or is it the INCOME?)
>> >to use a high quality bottle of wine every time I would want, like a
>> >half bottle for the humble pot roast! But now I do whatever I want
>> >with it.
>> >
>> >Of course, we do the things that others mention here. We have wine
>> >with dinner a few nights a week. We have guests over and kill a few
>> >bottles. We have a party and a case disappears. I give away loads of
>> >wine as gifts to friends and my employees at work. People really seem
>> >to love it, and even remember and request it again and again. I think
>> >it means something more to them than any $90 bottle of wine could. It
>> >is something wrought from our own hands, hearts and minds, and you
>> >just can't put a price on that. So for those reasons, the bottles seem
>> >to fly off the shelves.
>> >
>> >That's why if I ever hope to be able to enjoy any of it myself 5 years
>> >down the road, well, then I NEED to make 600 bottles a year! I wish I
>> >had a choice in the matter ;>
>> >
>> >Hope that helps!
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >
>> >Deadend

>> email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
>> please respond in this NG so others
>> can share your wisdom as well!

sgbrix

Dave Allyn > wrote in message >. ..
> I know I am not a big drinker, but I don't understand what some of you
> do with your wine. In the thred "what's fermenting" some people have
> listed enough wine that is activly fermenting to make in excess of 200
> bottles! I understand the joy is in the creating. that is for me
> too. but what do you do with that much wine? that's almost a bottle
> a day! some are even more. Is it more of a collection thing? never
> to drink some of it? give away as presents?
>
> Please understand. I am not trying to be critical. This is mearly
> ignorance. I like to build things out of wood as well, those
> projects I can always sell. even then I have a hard time finding
> homes when I make more than I can use. I ultimatly had to slow down
> the making, as there was no where to put them. how is this handled
> with wine??
>
> thanks in advance...

We have a life, we have parties.

SG Brix
Tom S

"sgbrix" > wrote in message
> We have a life, we have parties.

And you should serve some frizzante, slightly sweet muscat wine at those
parties!

Truly, that stuff is a "panty-dropper" (a technical term I just learned from
another winemaker). ;^D

S moT