Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Much improved flavour from bottling

I am confused about the processes of maturation that occur from
bottling.I recently transferred some 2006 red wine (Rondo,a German
hybrid) from a 5litre glass demijohn to 75cl bottles.On sampling the
wine on the immediate transfer,it was so disappointing that I was
thinking of replacing these vines next year with more reliable
whites.However,after just one week in a corked bottle stored
vertically,the wine had improved so much that I would descibe it as
very good,even excellent.
So I wish to understand why flavour improves so markedly on
bottling.Is it the inevitably introduced air ,although I thought best
practise was to exclude it during transfer.
Also,how do professionals judge the quality of their wine in bulk by
sampling,if the flavour improves so much after bottling?
Michael
Michael
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 21, 8:08*am, michael > wrote:
> I am confused about the processes of maturation that occur from
> bottling.I recently transferred some 2006 red wine (Rondo,a German
> hybrid) from a 5litre glass demijohn to 75cl bottles.On sampling the
> wine on the immediate transfer,it was so disappointing that I was
> thinking of replacing these vines next year with more reliable
> whites.However,after just one week in a corked bottle stored
> vertically,the wine had improved so much that I would descibe it as
> very good,even excellent.
> So I wish to understand why flavour improves so markedly on
> bottling.Is it the inevitably introduced air ,although I thought best
> practise was to exclude it during transfer.
> Also,how do professionals judge the quality of their wine in bulk by
> sampling,if the flavour improves so much after bottling?
> Michael
> Michael

From what I have read before, your experience is more to do with
bottle-shock than sudden maturation. Most people seem to agree that
wine gets uppity on bottling and doesn't become ammenable once more
until it has a chance to stretch its legs and pace around the bottle
until it feels at home. Arguments rage as to why this is so. Usually
a 2 month quarantine is recommended (if I remember rightly). It could
be that yours improved markedly in the 1 week you waited.

Others will no doubt fill you in as to why bottle maturation works.
They'll use much better words than I know
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 22 Nov, 12:20, jim c > wrote:
> On Nov 21, 8:08*am, michael > wrote:
>
> > I am confused about the processes of maturation that occur from
> > bottling.I recently transferred some 2006 red wine (Rondo,a German
> > hybrid) from a 5litre glass demijohn to 75cl bottles.On sampling the
> > wine on the immediate transfer,it was so disappointing that I was
> > thinking of replacing these vines next year with more reliable
> > whites.However,after just one week in a corked bottle stored
> > vertically,the wine had improved so much that I would descibe it as
> > very good,even excellent.
> > So I wish to understand why flavour improves so markedly on
> > bottling.Is it the inevitably introduced air ,although I thought best
> > practise was to exclude it during transfer.
> > Also,how do professionals judge the quality of their wine in bulk by
> > sampling,if the flavour improves so much after bottling?
> > Michael
> > Michael

> From what I have read before, your experience is more to do with
> bottle-shock than sudden maturation. *Most people seem to agree that
> wine gets uppity on bottling and doesn't become ammenable once more
> until it has a chance to stretch its legs and pace around the bottle
> until it feels at home. *Arguments rage as to why this is so. *Usually
> a 2 month quarantine is recommended (if I remember rightly). *It could
> be that yours improved markedly in the 1 week you waited.
>
> Others will no doubt fill you in as to why bottle maturation works.
> They'll use much better words than I know

Thanks for the reply.The wine I described had been in a glass demijohn
(tightly stoppered with a rubber bung) for three years,and I would
have expected it to taste rather good by now.However on immediately
pouring out a glass directly from the demijohn,the taste was dull and
very disappointing after so much maturation in an inert 5litre
vessel.The change after about a week in a corked bottle was nothing
less than remarkable.Conventional wisdom suggests,as you do,that on
bottling the taste should get worse for a while due to bottle shock.In
my case the complete reverse has happened.
Michael
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"michael" > wrote in message
On 22 Nov, 12:20, jim c > wrote:
> On Nov 21, 8:08 am, michael > wrote:
>
> > I am confused about the processes of maturation that occur from
> > bottling.I recently transferred some 2006 red wine (Rondo,a German
> > hybrid) from a 5litre glass demijohn to 75cl bottles.On sampling the
> > wine on the immediate transfer,it was so disappointing that I was
> > thinking of replacing these vines next year with more reliable
> > whites.However,after just one week in a corked bottle stored
> > vertically,the wine had improved so much that I would descibe it as
> > very good,even excellent.
> > So I wish to understand why flavour improves so markedly on
> > bottling.Is it the inevitably introduced air ,although I thought best
> > practise was to exclude it during transfer.
> > Also,how do professionals judge the quality of their wine in bulk by
> > sampling,if the flavour improves so much after bottling?
> > Michael
> > Michael

> From what I have read before, your experience is more to do with
> bottle-shock than sudden maturation. Most people seem to agree that
> wine gets uppity on bottling and doesn't become ammenable once more
> until it has a chance to stretch its legs and pace around the bottle
> until it feels at home. Arguments rage as to why this is so. Usually
> a 2 month quarantine is recommended (if I remember rightly). It could
> be that yours improved markedly in the 1 week you waited.
>
> Others will no doubt fill you in as to why bottle maturation works.
> They'll use much better words than I know

Thanks for the reply.The wine I described had been in a glass demijohn
(tightly stoppered with a rubber bung) for three years,and I would
have expected it to taste rather good by now.However on immediately
pouring out a glass directly from the demijohn,the taste was dull and
very disappointing after so much maturation in an inert 5litre
vessel.The change after about a week in a corked bottle was nothing
less than remarkable.Conventional wisdom suggests,as you do,that on
bottling the taste should get worse for a while due to bottle shock.In
my case the complete reverse has happened.
Michael

Perhaps you introduced a bit of oxygen when you bottled?
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I just read a neat article on judging wine and found that 87% of the
time judges can't judge the same wine twice in a row and find similar
results. So don't feel so bad. You are learning, as we all are.
Young wines are hard to judge. I've been making wine for 15 years and
I started by testing and tasting everything. Now I can taste when the
grapes are ready and I can test for them too. The same is true of
what you are doing in your carboys. Live, learn and enjoy. It's a
great hobby. Maturation is an art not just a science. Consistent
tempature, humidity, vibration in the storage area and laying the
bottles on there side after 24 hours are all general rules that will
give you good results. Best results?
I'm not sure, but by your own admission you are learning. An excellent
book on maturation to read is "The Way to Make Wine" by Sheridan
Warrick. Sheridan uses meta bi-sulphite to stabilize wine in
maturation and to hasten it's maturity.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Did you use a bottling bucket before bottling? IOW, did you rack into
another container before bottling? If so, your probably just seeing
the results of more degassing and addition on oxygen into the wine. I
can't see how such a short time in the bottle would have any effect on
the wine.