Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default High Acid Low Ph Vidal

I have a high acid Vidal wine from this falls harvest which has a TA
of .80 and PH of 3.15. I just pulled it from the garage fridge where
it was kept at 40 degrees for three weeks. It has been sulphited and
is completely dry. Is there anything that can be done at this stage
to give the wine a less bitter taste?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

KCWine wrote:

> I have a high acid Vidal wine from this falls harvest which has a TA
> of .80 and PH of 3.15. I just pulled it from the garage fridge where
> it was kept at 40 degrees for three weeks. It has been sulphited and
> is completely dry. Is there anything that can be done at this stage
> to give the wine a less bitter taste?

Actually, the numbers do not seem all that bad. How does it taste at a
slightly warmer temperature? Some acidic wines taste less so at slightly
warmer temperatures. Also, time may help a lot.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 14, 6:11 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" >
wrote:
> KCWine wrote:
> > I have a high acid Vidal wine from this falls harvest which has a TA
> > of .80 and PH of 3.15. I just pulled it from the garage fridge where
> > it was kept at 40 degrees for three weeks. It has been sulphited and
> > is completely dry. Is there anything that can be done at this stage
> > to give the wine a less bitter taste?

> Actually, the numbers do not seem all that bad. How does it taste at a
> slightly warmer temperature? Some acidic wines taste less so at slightly
> warmer temperatures. Also, time may help a lot.

If you don't want to wait on it to age, try adding a little sugar to
bring it into balance. You don't need to make it sweet, but even an
imperceptible (to taste) amount of sugar might cut out the
bitterness. Try it on a small batch and see how you like it.

Stephen
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 14, 9:57*pm, shbailey > wrote:
> On Nov 14, 6:11 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" >
> wrote:
>
> > KCWine wrote:
> > > I have a high acid Vidal wine from this falls harvest which has a TA
> > > of .80 and PH of 3.15. *I just pulled it from the garage fridge where
> > > it was kept at 40 degrees for three weeks. *It has been sulphited and
> > > is completely dry. *Is there anything that can be done at this stage
> > > to give the wine a less bitter taste?

> > Actually, the numbers do not seem all that bad. *How does it taste at a
> > slightly warmer temperature? *Some acidic wines taste less so at slightly
> > warmer temperatures. *Also, time may help a lot.

> If you don't want to wait on it to age, try adding a little sugar to
> bring it into balance. *You don't need to make it sweet, but even an
> imperceptible (to taste) amount of sugar might cut out the
> bitterness. *Try it on a small batch and see how you like it.
>
> Stephen

Thanks Stephen and Paul for the helpful suggestions!
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 14, 12:20*pm, KCWine > wrote:
> I have a high acid Vidal wine from this falls harvest which has a TA
> of .80 and PH of 3.15. *I just pulled it from the garage fridge where
> it was kept at 40 degrees for three weeks. *It has been sulphited and
> is completely dry. *Is there anything that can be done at this stage
> to give the wine a less bitter taste?

Sugar is always a nice way to bring downt the TA but sulphite will
also do it according to how you want to achieve the taste. At .80 and
a PH of 3.5 you can go up to 25 ppm of sulphite without affect the
taste and yet adjusting for TA. And of course, cold tempature aging
will also help.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Strongarm wrote:

> On Nov 14, 12:20Â*pm, KCWine > wrote:
>> I have a high acid Vidal wine from this falls harvest which has a TA
>> of .80 and PH of 3.15. Â*I just pulled it from the garage fridge where
>> it was kept at 40 degrees for three weeks. Â*It has been sulphited and
>> is completely dry. Â*Is there anything that can be done at this stage
>> to give the wine a less bitter taste?

> Sugar is always a nice way to bring downt the TA

How does sugar do this?

> but sulphite will
> also do it

How does sulphite bring down TA?

> according to how you want to achieve the taste. At .80 and
> a PH of 3.5 you can go up to 25 ppm of sulphite without affect the
> taste and yet adjusting for TA. And of course, cold tempature aging
> will also help.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Make sure it's totally degassed. CO2 will affect white ine much more
than red. I have a feeling your perfectly fine.

On Nov 14, 1:20*pm, KCWine > wrote:
> I have a high acid Vidal wine from this falls harvest which has a TA
> of .80 and PH of 3.15. *I just pulled it from the garage fridge where
> it was kept at 40 degrees for three weeks. *It has been sulphited and
> is completely dry. *Is there anything that can be done at this stage
> to give the wine a less bitter taste?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Nov 29, 8:32*am, wrote:
> Make sure it's totally degassed. CO2 will affect white ine much more
> than red. I have a feeling your perfectly fine.
>
> On Nov 14, 1:20*pm, KCWine > wrote:
>

> > I have a high acid Vidal wine from this falls harvest which has a TA
> > of .80 and PH of 3.15. *I just pulled it from the garage fridge where
> > it was kept at 40 degrees for three weeks. *It has been sulphited and
> > is completely dry. *Is there anything that can be done at this stage
> > to give the wine a less bitter taste?- Hide quoted text -

If none of that works you can add potassium bicarbonate to drop it to
6.5 to 7 g/l. 8g/l is actually not bad for Vidal if sweetened a bit
as suggested by others but you know what you like so follow that. Do
trials to decide what tastes best.