Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default fruit press

Hello! I am new here, so bear with me. I am looking for free plans to
make a simple basket style fruit press. Any ideas? Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, ricardo000 > wrote:
>Hello! I am new here, so bear with me. I am looking for free plans to
>make a simple basket style fruit press. Any ideas? Thanks.

Don't know about free plans, but see if you can find a copy of the book
"Woodwork for Winemakers". The book isn't very expensive, and it does contain
a plan for a press (among other useful things).

It was published in the UK, so some of the terms it contains may be unfamiliar
to Americans, e.g.
glasspaper = sandpaper
cramp = clamp
Araldite = (apparently) brand name of epoxy adhesive
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Sam Sam is offline

"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> ricardo000 > wrote:
>>Hello! I am new here, so bear with me. I am looking for free plans to
>>make a simple basket style fruit press. Any ideas? Thanks.

> Don't know about free plans, but see if you can find a copy of the book
> "Woodwork for Winemakers". The book isn't very expensive, and it does
> contain
> a plan for a press (among other useful things).
>
> It was published in the UK, so some of the terms it contains may be
> unfamiliar
> to Americans, e.g.
> glasspaper = sandpaper
> cramp = clamp

Oddly enough, we do use both variations of those over this side of the pond.
Some cramps get called clamps and some clamps get called cramps, depending
on their type, but I can never remember which type is which. For example, we
have sash cRamps, and we have G cLamps.
Damn, the English language can be an enigma sometimes, LOL.

> Araldite = (apparently) brand name of epoxy adhesive

Spot on there.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, "Sam" > wrote:

>"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
>> In article
>> >,
>> ricardo000 > wrote:
>>>Hello! I am new here, so bear with me. I am looking for free plans to
>>>make a simple basket style fruit press. Any ideas? Thanks.

>> Don't know about free plans, but see if you can find a copy of the book
>> "Woodwork for Winemakers". The book isn't very expensive, and it does
>> contain
>> a plan for a press (among other useful things).
>>
>> It was published in the UK, so some of the terms it contains may be
>> unfamiliar
>> to Americans, e.g.
>> glasspaper = sandpaper
>> cramp = clamp

>Oddly enough, we do use both variations of those over this side of the pond.

Whereas here, "cramp" as a noun refers specifically, and only, to physical
discomfort resulting from muscle spasms or contractions.

>Some cramps get called clamps and some clamps get called cramps, depending
>on their type, but I can never remember which type is which. For example, we
>have sash cRamps, and we have G cLamps.

I guess your "G clamp" is the same as our "C clamp" -- the Wikipedia article
on C-clamps includes a photo of one, clearly captioned as a C-clamp, but the
URL for the photo is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:G-clamp.jpg

I googled for more photos; your "sash cramp" is immediately recognizable to me
as a "bar clamp".

>Damn, the English language can be an enigma sometimes, LOL.

Didn't Winston Churchill refer to the U.S. and the U.K. as "two nations
divided by a common language"? :-)

Many words and phrases have radically -- and sometimes embarrassingly --
different meanings on opposite sides of the ocean.

Here, "stuffed" means you ate too much, and a "napkin" is something you wipe
your hands on at table. I believe they don't mean quite the same thing
there...

>> Araldite = (apparently) brand name of epoxy adhesive

>Spot on there.

Thanks for the confirmation. Another one I should have added to the list:
rebate = rabbet
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Sam Sam is offline

"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Sam"
> > wrote:
>>
>>"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
>>> In article
>>>
>>> Don't know about free plans, but see if you can find a copy of the book
>>> "Woodwork for Winemakers". The book isn't very expensive, and it does
>>> contain
>>> a plan for a press (among other useful things).
>>>
>>> It was published in the UK, so some of the terms it contains may be
>>> unfamiliar
>>> to Americans, e.g.
>>> glasspaper = sandpaper
>>> cramp = clamp

>>Oddly enough, we do use both variations of those over this side of the
>>pond.

> Whereas here, "cramp" as a noun refers specifically, and only, to physical
> discomfort resulting from muscle spasms or contractions.
>
>>Some cramps get called clamps and some clamps get called cramps, depending
>>on their type, but I can never remember which type is which. For example,
>>we
>>have sash cRamps, and we have G cLamps.

> I guess your "G clamp" is the same as our "C clamp" -- the Wikipedia
> article
> on C-clamps includes a photo of one, clearly captioned as a C-clamp, but
> the
> URL for the photo is
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:G-clamp.jpg
>
> I googled for more photos; your "sash cramp" is immediately recognizable
> to me
> as a "bar clamp".
>
>>Damn, the English language can be an enigma sometimes, LOL.

> Didn't Winston Churchill refer to the U.S. and the U.K. as "two nations
> divided by a common language"? :-)
>
> Many words and phrases have radically -- and sometimes embarrassingly --
> different meanings on opposite sides of the ocean.
>
> Here, "stuffed" means you ate too much, and a "napkin" is something you
> wipe
> your hands on at table. I believe they don't mean quite the same thing
> there...

Stuffed and Napkin mean the same to me too. I can't think of any other
meaning for them over this side, but I know there's a major minefield
surrounding "Fag" and "Fanny".

>>> Araldite = (apparently) brand name of epoxy adhesive

>>Spot on there.

> Thanks for the confirmation. Another one I should have added to the list:
> rebate = rabbet

Yeah, that one used to always confuse me when I watched that guy who
presents The New Yankee Workshop on TV.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, "Sam" > wrote:

>"Doug Miller" > wrote in message

>> Didn't Winston Churchill refer to the U.S. and the U.K. as "two nations
>> divided by a common language"? :-)
>>
>> Many words and phrases have radically -- and sometimes embarrassingly --
>> different meanings on opposite sides of the ocean.
>>
>> Here, "stuffed" means you ate too much, and a "napkin" is something you wipe
>> your hands on at table. I believe they don't mean quite the same thing there...

>Stuffed and Napkin mean the same to me too. I can't think of any other
>meaning for them over this side,

I'd heard that "stuffed" was slang for "pregnant", and "napkins" were made by
Kotex. Apparently I was misinformed, or maybe those are regional terms.

>but I know there's a major minefield
>surrounding "Fag" and "Fanny".

Yep. Here, "fag" is an offensive, derogatory term for a homosexual man, and
"fanny" means buttocks. I've been told that in the UK, they mean "cigarette"
and "pudendum" respectively.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 9, 5:10 pm, ricardo000 > wrote:
> Hello! I am new here, so bear with me. I am looking for free plans to
> make a simple basket style fruit press. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hey Ricardo.
I looked at screw types. Built my own from pictures. I can do a write
up for you to assemble your own.
You will need access to power/hand tools and a tap/die to match
threads of rod. I sized mine to accept 1 gallon to 5 gallon buckets. I
get mine from a restaurant. Food grade buckets, got to love recycling.

Dave Whitney
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

http://www.stevehughes.org/Site/The_...he_Winery.html

Check this out! The man the machine, engineering genius, winemaker and
watercolor imagist... Steve Hughes I don't know him personally but the
man certainly is industrious
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 11, 9:36*am, jay > wrote:
> http://www.stevehughes.org/Site/The_...he_Winery.html
>
> Check this out! The man the machine, engineering genius, winemaker and
> watercolor imagist... Steve Hughes I don't know him personally but the
> man certainly is industrious

This fellow is a good person to know! Very, very good at making items
that usually cost quite a bit. I believe that Wne Maker Mag. had an
article about making a press a few years ago. A search there may turnn
that up.

Jerry

Fruit press Mike[_53_] Winemaking 3 28-08-2009 04:01 AM
Wooden Fruit/Wine Press Care Liam Randall Winemaking 2 29-01-2008 04:05 PM
Four RECIPES: "Fruit Spreads" - use concentrated fruit juice for sweetener Melba's Jammin' Preserving 20 27-05-2006 12:51 AM
Frozen Fruit versus fresh fruit [email protected] Baking 2 03-02-2005 09:38 PM
Press bwesley7 Winemaking 18 31-07-2004 12:26 PM