Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Brix for Grape Varities

My refractometer arrived today so I went out to the vineyard to try it
out. I'd googled Marechal Foch and the concensus seems to be that it's
ripe around 23 Brix. Mine are 18-20 so I have a bit longer to wait.
I'm in Maryland, north of Baltimore, by way of reference.

I checked the white grapes and they run about 13-16 Brix. Googling the
varieties gave me the impression that they're generally harvested at a
lower Brix, like in the high teens. Does anyone have a good website or
personal experience with the optimal Brix for the following varieties?

Marechal Foch
Concord
Traminette
Niagara
Aurore

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Aug 26, 5:41 pm, Pavel314 > wrote:
> My refractometer arrived today so I went out to the vineyard to try it
> out. I'd googled Marechal Foch and the concensus seems to be that it's
> ripe around 23 Brix. Mine are 18-20 so I have a bit longer to wait.
> I'm in Maryland, north of Baltimore, by way of reference.
>
> I checked the white grapes and they run about 13-16 Brix. Googling the
> varieties gave me the impression that they're generally harvested at a
> lower Brix, like in the high teens. Does anyone have a good website or
> personal experience with the optimal Brix for the following varieties?
>
> Marechal Foch
> Concord
> Traminette
> Niagara
> Aurore
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> Paul

This link gives several years of grape chemistry data that includes
most of these varieties and many more in west central Virginia. Watch
the pH on Foch.

http://www.chateau-z.com/gpage.html
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Aug 26, 9:39*pm, shbailey > wrote:
> On Aug 26, 5:41 pm, Pavel314 > wrote:
>

> > My refractometer arrived today so I went out to the vineyard to try it
> > out. I'd googled Marechal Foch and the concensus seems to be that it's
> > ripe around 23 Brix. Mine are 18-20 so I have a bit longer to wait.
> > I'm in Maryland, north of Baltimore, by way of reference.

> > I checked the white grapes and they run about 13-16 Brix. Googling the
> > varieties gave me the impression that they're generally harvested at a
> > lower Brix, like in the high teens. Does anyone have a good website or
> > personal experience with the optimal Brix for the following varieties?

> > Marechal Foch
> > Concord
> > Traminette
> > Niagara
> > Aurore

> > Thanks for any help you can give.

> > Paul

> This link gives several years of grape chemistry data that includes
> most of these varieties and many more in west central Virginia. *Watch
> the pH on Foch.
>
> http://www.chateau-z.com/gpage.html- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, that's just what I needed. I bookmarked it for future
reference. I like the entry for Concord in 2007:

"Disease resistant with pretty clusters. Yucky smell. Give it up!"

Although I do a lot with Concord blends.

Paul

methoding of different cooking varities. yuvaraj s General Cooking 1 08-03-2012 07:25 AM
Low Brix on Zin sgbrix Winemaking 3 13-10-2006 03:32 AM
why do I still have a cap when Brix is 0 [email protected] Winemaking 3 02-10-2006 06:28 PM
Brix 28.5? Stefan Mazur Winemaking 4 28-10-2004 02:12 PM
are brix and SG billb Winemaking 8 08-06-2004 07:56 AM