Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Pear wine

I've got 7 gal of pear wine that has been in secondary since late
October. It's still putting out a few small bubbles. I used EC 1118,
acid blend and nutrient. SG is .996. I've never had anything go this
long. Other than the length of time it seems fine. Any ideas?

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I'd rack & degas it. I think it's most likely dissolved CO2 slowly out
gassing. Enjoy your wine , pear is one of my favorites.
Steve
"Dick Heckman" > wrote in message
> I've got 7 gal of pear wine that has been in secondary since late October.
> It's still putting out a few small bubbles. I used EC 1118, acid blend
> and nutrient. SG is .996. I've never had anything go this long. Other
> than the length of time it seems fine. Any ideas?
>
> Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dick,

Sounds like the yeast has eaten all the sugar. If it were my wine,
I'd use a wine thief and sample the wine both for alcohol and taste.
I'd use a vinometer to verify the alcohol level. If you're satisfied
with both - bottle it. Wait or not and enjoy it.

The majority of the fermentation takes place in the primary
fermentation stage within the first 3 - 10 days. The Secondary
fermentation stage is more of a finishing stage - there are many
"chemical" (all natural) reactions of esters and aldehyes, and much
more going on that give bloom to the flavor, bouquet and character of
the wine. More occurs in the bottle while aging.

The newer rocket style airlocks are not as sensitive to the pressure
as the old double chamber level airlocks are. Also, the newer ones
have be kept with adequate water levels in them. If levels are too
low, they are less protective and may indicate that the wine is
finished fermenting prematurely. They also are subject to the
positive pressure of just pushing them into the bung.

Pear Wine Pavel314[_2_] Winemaking 0 12-09-2011 05:50 PM
pear wine bulka[_2_] General Cooking 16 28-09-2008 12:09 PM
pear wine help alien Winemaking 4 22-10-2004 07:11 PM
Pear Wine Weez Winemaking 2 17-04-2004 02:03 PM
Pear wine---pear brandy Nancree General Cooking 1 04-04-2004 06:53 AM