Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Homemade red wine problem

Reading the previous post about pH levels and red wine, I've just
cleared a demijohn of homemade red made with the crimson variety of
grapes from South Africa. I've just tasted it and nearly spat it out -
it has a very astringent taste..very sharp on the palette. The alc
content is 13.5% (roughly) and the pH is just over 3. (sorry I can't
be more accurate but its a general pH test strip that I'm using). I'm
a very methodical and thorough person who sterilises all my equipment
and takes great care in preparation.
Can anyone help me with this problem of taste please?

McKevvy
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

McKevvy wrote:

> Reading the previous post about pH levels and red wine, I've just
> cleared a demijohn of homemade red made with the crimson variety of
> grapes from South Africa. I've just tasted it and nearly spat it out -
> it has a very astringent taste..very sharp on the palette. The alc
> content is 13.5% (roughly) and the pH is just over 3. (sorry I can't
> be more accurate but its a general pH test strip that I'm using). I'm
> a very methodical and thorough person who sterilises all my equipment
> and takes great care in preparation.
> Can anyone help me with this problem of taste please?
>
> McKevvy

I am not familiar with that variety of grape or its pH.
IF the pH is just slightly over 3.0 it is indeed high in acid if it is a red
grape variety. It would not be exceptionally high acid (low pH) for a
white.

A few thoughts though:

pH test strips are IMHO very difficult to get accurate or reliable readings.
If you plan to make a lot of wine in the future, I suggest a pH meter. You
can get one for about $100. My wine making improved DRAMATICALLY after
purchasing and using a pH meter. They can be sort of a PITA to maintain so
make sure you get storage solution and still plan on replacing the probe
every year or every other year.

Astringent taste can be from tannins.
Have you made wine from this variety before and what were your results.
If you have tasted wine others have made from this variety, was it the same
when it was young?

You could put a small sample in a bottle and do bench trials on fining
agents for harsh tannins.

You could also send out a small sample to a lab and have them analyze it.
It may cost you $50 or so but I assume your demijohn is the 15 gallon size
and that is a lot of wine to throw out without finding out what is wrong.
Even IF you are not able to salvage this wine, it may be useful information
for you in the future.

HTH.
Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 4 Apr, 15:20, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
> McKevvy wrote:
> > Reading the previous post about pH levels and red wine, I've just
> > cleared a demijohn of homemade red made with the crimson variety of
> > grapes from South Africa. I've just tasted it and nearly spat it out -
> > it has a very astringent taste..very sharp on the palette. The alc
> > content is 13.5% (roughly) and the pH is just over 3. (sorry I can't
> > be more accurate but its a general pH test strip that I'm using). I'm
> > a very methodical and thorough person who sterilises all my equipment
> > and takes great care in preparation.
> > Can anyone help me with this problem of taste please?

> > McKevvy

> I am not familiar with that variety of grape or its pH.
> IF the pH is just slightly over 3.0 it is indeed high in acid if it is a red
> grape variety. *It would not be exceptionally high acid (low pH) for a
> white.
>
> A few thoughts though:
>
> pH test strips are IMHO very difficult to get accurate or reliable readings.
> If you plan to make a lot of wine in the future, I suggest a pH meter. You
> can get one for about $100. *My wine making improved DRAMATICALLY after
> purchasing and using a pH meter. *They can be sort of a PITA to maintain so
> make sure you get storage solution and still plan on replacing the probe
> every year or every other year.
>
> Astringent taste can be from tannins.
> Have you made wine from this variety before and what were your results.
> If you have tasted wine others have made from this variety, was it the same
> when it was young?
>
> You could put a small sample in a bottle and do bench trials on fining
> agents for harsh tannins.
>
> You could also send out a small sample to a lab and have them analyze it.
> It may cost you $50 or so but I assume your demijohn is the 15 gallon size
> and that is a lot of wine to throw out without finding out what is wrong.
> Even IF you are not able to salvage this wine, it may be useful information
> for you in the future.
>
> HTH.
> Paul

Thanks very much for your help Paul. I intend to buy a digital pH
meter very soon. This may sound odd but I added tannin at the start of
the ferment. Perhaps this was wrong but I'm still fairly new to making
wine. Is there any way that I can rectify the wine rather than
chucking it out?

Cheers

McKevvy
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Some fining techniques are said to reduce tannins. I've never
employed such methods, so can't give the details. I believe
egg-whites are one agent used for this purpose. If no one
replies with relevant info, check a good winemaking book
that covers the fining options thoroughly.

If the problem is really just total acidity, then your options
include malolactic fermentation, cold stabilization, adding
acid neutralizers, adding sugar to balance the acid, or just
blending the wine with another one of lower acidity and/or
higher pH. Many winemaking books discuss these methods
quite extensively.

Good luck!

Alan

"McKevvy" > wrote in message ...
On 4 Apr, 15:20, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
> McKevvy wrote:
> > Reading the previous post about pH levels and red wine, I've just
> > cleared a demijohn of homemade red made with the crimson variety of
> > grapes from South Africa. I've just tasted it and nearly spat it out -
> > it has a very astringent taste..very sharp on the palette. The alc
> > content is 13.5% (roughly) and the pH is just over 3. (sorry I can't
> > be more accurate but its a general pH test strip that I'm using). I'm
> > a very methodical and thorough person who sterilises all my equipment
> > and takes great care in preparation.
> > Can anyone help me with this problem of taste please?

> > McKevvy

> I am not familiar with that variety of grape or its pH.
> IF the pH is just slightly over 3.0 it is indeed high in acid if it is a red
> grape variety. It would not be exceptionally high acid (low pH) for a
> white.
>
> A few thoughts though:
>
> pH test strips are IMHO very difficult to get accurate or reliable readings.
> If you plan to make a lot of wine in the future, I suggest a pH meter. You
> can get one for about $100. My wine making improved DRAMATICALLY after
> purchasing and using a pH meter. They can be sort of a PITA to maintain so
> make sure you get storage solution and still plan on replacing the probe
> every year or every other year.
>
> Astringent taste can be from tannins.
> Have you made wine from this variety before and what were your results.
> If you have tasted wine others have made from this variety, was it the same
> when it was young?
>
> You could put a small sample in a bottle and do bench trials on fining
> agents for harsh tannins.
>
> You could also send out a small sample to a lab and have them analyze it.
> It may cost you $50 or so but I assume your demijohn is the 15 gallon size
> and that is a lot of wine to throw out without finding out what is wrong.
> Even IF you are not able to salvage this wine, it may be useful information
> for you in the future.
>
> HTH.
> Paul

Thanks very much for your help Paul. I intend to buy a digital pH
meter very soon. This may sound odd but I added tannin at the start of
the ferment. Perhaps this was wrong but I'm still fairly new to making
wine. Is there any way that I can rectify the wine rather than
chucking it out?

Cheers

McKevvy

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

McKevvy wrote:

> On 4 Apr, 15:20, "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
>> McKevvy wrote:
>> > Reading the previous post about pH levels and red wine, I've just
>> > cleared a demijohn of homemade red made with the crimson variety of
>> > grapes from South Africa. I've just tasted it and nearly spat it out -
>> > it has a very astringent taste..very sharp on the palette. The alc
>> > content is 13.5% (roughly) and the pH is just over 3. (sorry I can't
>> > be more accurate but its a general pH test strip that I'm using). I'm
>> > a very methodical and thorough person who sterilises all my equipment
>> > and takes great care in preparation.
>> > Can anyone help me with this problem of taste please?

>> > McKevvy

>> I am not familiar with that variety of grape or its pH.
>> IF the pH is just slightly over 3.0 it is indeed high in acid if it is a
>> red grape variety. Â*It would not be exceptionally high acid (low pH) for
>> a white.
>>
>> A few thoughts though:
>>
>> pH test strips are IMHO very difficult to get accurate or reliable
>> readings. If you plan to make a lot of wine in the future, I suggest a pH
>> meter. You can get one for about $100. Â*My wine making improved
>> DRAMATICALLY after purchasing and using a pH meter. Â*They can be sort of
>> a PITA to maintain so make sure you get storage solution and still plan
>> on replacing the probe every year or every other year.
>>
>> Astringent taste can be from tannins.
>> Have you made wine from this variety before and what were your results.
>> If you have tasted wine others have made from this variety, was it the
>> same when it was young?
>>
>> You could put a small sample in a bottle and do bench trials on fining
>> agents for harsh tannins.
>>
>> You could also send out a small sample to a lab and have them analyze it.
>> It may cost you $50 or so but I assume your demijohn is the 15 gallon
>> size and that is a lot of wine to throw out without finding out what is
>> wrong. Even IF you are not able to salvage this wine, it may be useful
>> information for you in the future.
>>
>> HTH.
>> Paul

> Thanks very much for your help Paul. I intend to buy a digital pH
> meter very soon. This may sound odd but I added tannin at the start of
> the ferment. Perhaps this was wrong but I'm still fairly new to making
> wine. Is there any way that I can rectify the wine rather than
> chucking it out?
>
> Cheers
>
> McKevvy

Yes, just do a search on removing excess from wine. You will find
references to egg white, gelatin and other fining agents. Do some bench
trials on small quantities to see how much you need.