Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help

"jmreiter" > wrote in message news:...
> There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the "white,
> latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It might help your
> situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it at your local
> 'big-box' home improvement center or check your local grocery store. I've
> never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that I've experience. But also
> understand that the Goo-Gone also has petroleum-based products in it, so
> you will also have to use a plain detergent afterwards. Yuk.
> Joanne
>
> "Mike" > wrote in message ...
>>
>> "Andie Z" > wrote in message
>>> We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made
>>> another 12 gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During and
>>> after primary fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We still
>>> haven't discovered a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary, or
>>> anything else. Does anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off
>>> stuff. My 90 year old mother is the wine master and she has it on her
>>> finger nails.
>>>
>>> Help!
>>>
>>> Andie Z
>>>

>> There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I can't
>> remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and then so stay
>> tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.
>>
>> Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"jmreiter" > wrote in message

> "jmreiter" > wrote in message news:...
>> There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the "white,
>> latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It might help your
>> situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it at your local
>> 'big-box' home improvement center or check your local grocery store. I've
>> never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that I've experience. But also
>> understand that the Goo-Gone also has petroleum-based products in it, so
>> you will also have to use a plain detergent afterwards. Yuk.
>> Joanne

>>> There is a really simple and magical something that does it which I
>>> can't remember at the moment. This question comes up every now and then
>>> so stay tuned for a solution from a guru for your goo.
>>>
>>> Mike

I think the solution was to use vegetable or olive oil. From memory, the goo
is soluble in the oil. The combination is then able to be cleaned off with
ordinary dish detergent... or that's what my pickled memory is telling me.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 11, 12:10*am, "Mike" > wrote:
> "jmreiter" > wrote in message

> > "jmreiter" > wrote in message news:...
> >> There is a product called 'Goo Gone', and it works wonders on the "white,
> >> latex-based glue-from-he**" used to affix wine labels. It might help your
> >> situation. It's a citrus based cleanser. Look for it at your local
> >> 'big-box' home improvement center or check your local grocery store. I've
> >> never made elderberry wine, so I can't say that I've experience. But also
> >> understand that the Goo-Gone also has petroleum-based products in it, so
> >> you will also have to use a plain detergent afterwards. Yuk.
> >> Joanne

> >> "Mike" > wrote in ....

> . ..

> I think the solution was to use vegetable or olive oil. From memory, the goo
> is soluble in the oil. The combination is then able to be cleaned off with
> ordinary dish detergent... or that's what my pickled memory is telling me..
>
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

I've made elderberry wine for years also. It seems that when I boil
the berries, I get more goo but get very little with raw berries. I
don't bother boiling anymore.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Pavel314 wrote:

> On Mar 11, 12:10Â*am, "Mike" > wrote:

>> . ..

>> I think the solution was to use vegetable or olive oil. From memory, the
>> goo is soluble in the oil. The combination is then able to be cleaned off
>> with ordinary dish detergent... or that's what my pickled memory is
>> telling me.
>>
>> Mike- Hide quoted text -

> I've made elderberry wine for years also. It seems that when I boil
> the berries, I get more goo but get very little with raw berries. I
> don't bother boiling anymore.
>
> Paul

There is an article in the April-May 2009 issue of "Winemaker" magazine
which discusses Elderberry wine and the way to remove it

"... it is easily cut with vetgetable oil and cleanly wiped from the
primary. The oil is then washed away with a liquid soap containing a
degreaser. Rinse well and tghen sanitize with sulfite solution."

Help: Removing Elderberry Residue [email protected] Winemaking 0 18-09-2016 06:43 PM
Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help Andie Z[_2_] Winemaking 7 09-03-2009 11:51 PM
residue at cork [email protected] Wine 9 29-04-2008 09:05 PM
what is this white residue/dust in the tea liquor? SN Tea 9 24-10-2007 07:06 PM
smoke residue cleanup kaskiles Barbecue 2 25-06-2004 11:43 AM